Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-23-2008, 8:13 PM Reply   
Guys, I found a steal on an immaculate '05 Ford Expedition. I really want 4wd to help when pulling the boat in and out of the water. But, my wife really digs this vehicle. My question is, will the traction control make up for the 4wd in slippery ramp conditions? Any experiences appreciated...
Old     (nwarhol1105)      Join Date: Oct 2008       12-23-2008, 9:28 PM Reply   
You will regret not getting 4WD if you are buying the SUV specifically for towing. I tow my MC Tristar with my Explorer (4WD) and I would have been screwed several times last summer on some sandy launches because the water level dropped quite a bit in MN late in the season.

You can always put your boat in gear when it is on the trailer to get the momentum moving forward (assuming you have an inboard). The guy I bought my boat from towed it with a HUGE F-350 (2WD) and he said gravel launches were really difficult to gain traction on. The launch at my marina is gravel and my V6 Explorer pulls my boat out with ease.

What kind of boat are you towing?
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-23-2008, 11:07 PM Reply   
just get 4x4, dont be that guy at the ramp........
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-23-2008, 11:59 PM Reply   
Oh man, don't ya hate being behind "that guy" at the ramp?

4wd really makes up for a lot at the ramp.

Sorry cosmocat, no experience with the Expedition here. But I guess it just depends on the conditions of the ramps you use. It's not unusual to see slimy, sandy ramps around here that 2wd rigs have a lot of problems with.

Not to mention the traction advantage when the weather goes to hell. 4WD rocks.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-24-2008, 5:13 AM Reply   
Nick, it's an '02 centurion hurricane (lightning). Supposedly the traction control kicks in when wheels start spinning. Also the traction control supposedly eliminates the need for 4wd in the snow. Just wondering if anyone has actually experienced the AdvanceTrac kicking in when slipping occurs..
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       12-24-2008, 5:38 AM Reply   
Traction control will not make up for 4WD, sorry.

Make sure the differential is a limited slip - that will help. If you look at the metal tag on the diff, there will be an "L" where the decimal would normally be on the axle ratio (e.g.: 3L55).

My 01 Lightning with 2WD and limited slip does great on slippery ramps. I bet the expi does even better with a heavier rear end.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       12-24-2008, 8:13 AM Reply   
I used to have an 05 expy but mine was 4x4. it did great at the ramps I think I only ever used 4x4 once. It did fine without it. I did have aftermarket offroad wheels and tires though which got a lot better traction. overall a great vehicle. Crappy gas mileage but a great vehicle.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-24-2008, 8:20 AM Reply   
I get to use a lot of different vehicles all the time as I get a demo. Last summer I used a 2WD Expedition to tow with several times and it did great pulling out of a pretty steep ramp. Have someone look up the axle code they're most the time it's just a number like 19 or something. While I don't think you'll have much of a tough time with 2WD Advancetrac is no replacement for 4WD especially when it comes to snowy conditions.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-24-2008, 8:22 AM Reply   
I have a 2002 Ford Expedition without 4x4 and pulls both the 24Ve and RZ2 fine.

There is a ramp here in Sacramento that gets very wet and moss can grow on it during the summer time. There are a lot of vehicles that spin their tires that are 4x4's and I have yet to have that problem with my 2-wheel drive Expedition. IMO, you will be okay without the 4x4. However, it would be nice to have a 4x4 but IMO, not needed for the Expedition if you can't get it. $.02
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-24-2008, 9:02 AM Reply   
I have a 03 Expedition 4x4 and rarely put it in 4wd maybe twice at the ramp. Easy on the gas pedal when pulling it up the ramp, and you should have no problem.

I will admit there was no way I would have been able to get my expedition up the driveway last night without 4wd. Solid sheet of ice.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-24-2008, 10:13 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input. I think I'll pay a little more for piece of mind. Sometimes there is sand at the bottom of the ramp...I was hoping that in that situation the advancetrac could kick in for just a couple of seconds to get my back wheels beyond the sand...
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-24-2008, 10:26 AM Reply   
In most cases, if you are spinning the rears, your gonna spin the fronts too. I've been towing with 4x4 Duallys for 10 years....I can honestly say I've never used 4 wheel drive for anything under 10K pounds.

The uphill slope, along with the tongue weight of the trailer, makes the fronts so light they won't be of much use to you anyway.

In my experience, most of the knuckleheads you see smoking their tires all the way up the ramp need to do only one thing....lift off the gas. Ease into the throttle to get momentum up, don't just stab the loud pedal and start everything spinning.

YMMV.....
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-24-2008, 1:12 PM Reply   
traction control sucks while towing.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-24-2008, 3:29 PM Reply   
Another thing to consider is what do other people in your area own? If it's mostly 4wd then your resale and trade in value is gonna be better down the road. While you may pay more initially it could reduce your cost of your overall ownership once you're ready to move on.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-24-2008, 5:11 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, my wife and I are going to test driver an '06 4wd Eddie Bauer on Friday. Showing her this thread helped to influence her decision
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-24-2008, 5:13 PM Reply   
Happy to help!
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       12-25-2008, 10:48 PM Reply   
I have the 04 Expedition and I hate it. Under powered to me and the ride is crappy when pulling the VLX. It feels like it is too much trailer tongue weight for that SUV. I have had 2 GMC SUVs and I wish I never went to the Expedition. My Diesel F250 pulls my boat great.

If it is a super great deal then go for it, but everything right now is cheap. I would keep looking.

The Tru Track does work good for me in the snow.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-26-2008, 7:14 AM Reply   
In all fairness, there is a bit of a difference between an F250 and an Expedition lol. My diesel 250 pulls the boat like its not even there too, as it should. Had a 4x4 05 Expedition that pulled the boat great. Obviously its not a 3/4 ton diesel, but I'm not even sure why people are comparing the two. Srsly lol.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       12-26-2008, 11:05 AM Reply   
I would go so far to say that a Ford Expedition pulls any boat great. Great is way over the top.

I think there is a lot better SUV's to look at before I bought another Ford Expedition is all I was try to get across. My Expedition is a pile and I can't wait to sell it.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-26-2008, 6:07 PM Reply   
Well, my wife and I pulled the trigger on the '06 Expedition 4wd today. Not my ideal truck, but we needed something for the family and to tow with that wouldn't break the bank. Brannon, sucks to hear you are dissatisfied with your '04. I know what that feeling is all about. During my research I understand that some improvements were made since '04, with a total redesign in '07. I can tell this baby has some torque! BTW does anyone know how to remove those stupid Eddie Bauer pinstripes without messing up the paint? I freakin hate that on the side of my black truck! Eddie Bauer....pfffttt!
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-27-2008, 9:33 AM Reply   
Does anyone know how to remove pinstipes without messing up paint?