Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old    mgarza09            04-20-2006, 3:09 PM Reply   
Im new to wakeboarding and need some advice on getting out of the water, can anyone help?
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-20-2006, 3:21 PM Reply   
You mean getting up?!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-20-2006, 3:21 PM Reply   
Get you a copy of "The Book" DVD its got it all.
Old    mgarza09            04-20-2006, 3:27 PM Reply   
yeah getting up
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-20-2006, 3:31 PM Reply   
board in front of you, knees bent at your chest (floating comfortably with your lifevest and board), both hands on the handle, elbows either inside your knees or outside (depending on who you ask), wait until your compleatly out of the water until you try to stand up.....
Old    mgarza09            04-20-2006, 3:35 PM Reply   
see in my eyes i was doing that but kept getting drug through the water, ill try it again next time see if it works
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-20-2006, 3:41 PM Reply   
Put pressure on your toes.... boards gotta be at the right angle in order to plane up on top of the water.

I personally get up with the board completely under my body in the water so having the board at the proper angle is important.

Let the boat pull you up out of the water and on top of the board. Don't pull against the line and dont try to stand up at all.

(Message edited by wakeriderixi on April 20, 2006)
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-20-2006, 3:42 PM Reply   
Whos drivin the boat? has he ever pulled a wakeboarder? Alot of times its the boat driver not the rider learning how to wakeboard. You dont have to slam the throttle to get a wakeboarder up out of the water.
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-20-2006, 3:57 PM Reply   
mark, I've taught countless people how to get up and the biggest thing that I've seen help people with your problem is what Paul is saying. I'm guessing that you're starting with the board bottom facing the back of the boat. Angle the board down more on the water with your toes. The worst advice I've heard to someone trying to get up is, "lean back." Just make sure that you don't have the board at an angle that is going to fight the boat.

(Message edited by 99xstar on April 20, 2006)
Old     (wake_boarder49)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-20-2006, 4:06 PM Reply   
What i do is i keep my knees bent, just like im sitting in a chair but maybe more bent, keep my arms bent and i keep them bent until im up because ive seen it happen alot the reason lots of people fall is because they let the boat pull them forward and you do have to hit the throttle kinda hard. My friends dad was driving and he was trying to get his daughter up for the first time and he babied the throttle and all he did was drag her and the handle kept snapping out of her hands but later when my dad was driving her pulled her like anyone else and bam she was up. So it's a few things but once you get up its like riding a bike, you never forget.
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-20-2006, 4:14 PM Reply   
dont fight the boat. let the boat pull you up over your board and keep those knees bent. The best thing to think about is to say never leave the kness bent crouched position, and then when you get up you will naturally just stand up.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-20-2006, 4:16 PM Reply   
If the handle pops out of your hands its because the board is at the wrong angle of attack in the water... You can stay behind a boat at idle, standing straight up, still sideways, with the water up to your knees.

True sometimes a person can be forced up with a quick throttle burts but thats just luck.. in the end the board HAS to be at the correct angle!
Old    live2wakeboard            04-20-2006, 4:43 PM Reply   
Dont try to pull on the rope either. That can make it harder for you to get up. Just relax and let the boat pull u up. And like Jeff Byron said if the boat driver hasn't ever pulled a wakeboarder before then that could be your problem too.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-20-2006, 4:46 PM Reply   
Alright Alright I got it, Stand on the dock board already on. Have the boat driver get all the slack out of the line and then jump as the driver floors the throttle!
Old    live2wakeboard            04-20-2006, 4:52 PM Reply   
Paul thats redneck style cuz you have to do it with out dropping your beer or putting your cigarette out!!!
Old     (badbob13ftw)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-20-2006, 7:53 PM Reply   
ill be laughlin in mid may riding out of cathrines landing on mohave, be happy to give ya a few pulls to get ya going ;)
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-21-2006, 9:24 AM Reply   
Guys get so technical! I'm not an advanced rider, but I know how to get up . . . the water is pushing against your board - keep your legs stiff, with knees bent, and push back against the water and you'll pop right up. Enjoy!