Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-23-2006, 6:16 PM Reply   
I bought the Rival ballast system for my '05 21' XTi
got things pretty planned out...but...the Malibu guys strongly recommend not going through the hull (bottom)
instead, "we" have decided to have the through hull water inlet...go through the transom...just below the platform
problem is that there just isn't enough room for the nice through hull scoop that came with the system
and...only 3.5" of open space around the exhaust ...to mount a through hull
I have found a 2" through hull, but am in need of a strainer
all stainless wire mesh stainers taht I have found are way to small
I need one that will fit in the 3.5" space and allow for a 2" through hull pipe
any one got any ideas?
here is one I like, but it is to big
http://www.groco.net/06-Cat/GROCO-2006.htm
thanks
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-23-2006, 6:42 PM Reply   
I don't see the right item on the web page. Is that the right link?

My rival system is coming this week!
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-23-2006, 6:52 PM Reply   
looks the same
it's the groco web site
page 40 at the bottom....under strainers
I was mistaken...it's a 1.5" pipe, not a 2"
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-23-2006, 7:00 PM Reply   
my Malibu dealer wants to be able to fiberglass the through hull in
I agree with him
he is also concerned about hoses running through the stringers or under the engine
he says that he has seen alot of overheating issues and other issues arise from alot of aftermarket add-ons
he wants me to install a ball valve just inside the through hull fitting...in case of an emergency...but there isn't much room
but,in my book...he is the man
so I am just trying to configure the system so that he is comfortable...and willing to cut the holes and do the fiberglass work
the Tige guys said cut the hole under the driveshaft area ... but Malibu says that there is a double layer there and he wouldn't feel good about it
so we are going to try to go out th eback
the downside to out the transom is....I won't ever be able to upgrade to a power wedge (mine is manual) and you can only fill while sitting still....no biggie
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-23-2006, 7:02 PM Reply   
I think that the Tige guys are great guys and know what they are doing
they just have never installed on an XTi
perhaps not a 'BU at all....
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-23-2006, 8:03 PM Reply   
The Rival already comes with an electric gate valve, you shouldn't need a ball valve separate from that. My understanding is that if it breaks, it always stays shut - if not, then I would like to hear of someone's experience with that.

Being a direct drive, you have a different problem. There is a perfect little spot in most V-drives right in front of the transmission and behind the gas tank to put the thru hull.

You don't have to worry about overheating if you add another thru hull. I think you can get some overheating if you T off of the engine's intake. A lot of guys do that, and I've actually only heard of the overheating as a theory due to water starvation to the engine, not any actual occurrences.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-23-2006, 8:23 PM Reply   
Here's my .02

The factory will always tell you not to drill any holes or change anything. My dealer told me initially that if I didn't buy the factory tower that it would void my hull warrantee if I put an aftermarket one on. It's easier for them if you do things their way.

If you put the through hull in a logical place and don't drill through stringers, and keep the plumbing and wiring completely separate from the factory wiring and cooling system, there shouldn't be a problem. I would not want to go through the transom for both of the reasons you outline above.

The only possible hull issue is that if you have a cored hull (you do) you should fill the area in between the hull and liner with epoxy around the fitting. Same goes for a PP paddle wheel. Most installers don't, btw, and they still work fine with no leaks. Goop on the 5200! It is only an hour or two more work to do it the correct way. I think that is what your dealer was referring to. There is a good description of how to do it in the literature that comes with the PP paddle wheel.

As for Tige vs. Malibu, when it comes down to it, a boat is a boat is a boat. Sure, there are differences, but even my crazy Toyota is built just like the other makes. Like other things, it's pretty much all the same with the lights off;)

Do you have a second through hull already? Quite often there is one with a T handle in the center of the boat, mine is near the tracking fins. I used that one for my ballast fill. You do not need a scupper type fitting, a mushroom fitting will flow just fine, the water is under pressure anyway. Any opening below the waterline will do.

Absolutely, you should have a bronze ball valve on the other side of the through hull, that's no bs. You should be able to access it relatively quickly too. The rival system has a gate valve, but it is plastic. Nothing wrong with it but it was not designed to maintain watertight integrity for a seagoing craft. I may add one to my system but I would still want to be able to close the ball valve after filling. If you put the hole in the transom, can you get to this fitting quickly on that boat?
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-23-2006, 10:11 PM Reply   
I am converting the ice chest to a seat...making the seat area bigger than the chest area
we dont use that ice chest...and I am putting a bag in the new area
this will allow somewhat of a rapid access...but still will have to reach under the gas tank
the advantage to a transom install is that little water could get in (in an emergency) if the boat were moving

I'm somewhat overwhelmed by the install
just 'cause I what it done right
the "Bu" guys won't do the complete install
so I am trying to lay everything out and just have them do the actual through the boat stuff

they said that in front of the engine would be the best place as far as the hole goes....but worried that it would interfear with the paddle wheel
and...there isn't a very good spot to mount the 4 pump manifold and switch

thanks for comments
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-23-2006, 10:20 PM Reply   
Psyclone
the scoop that came with the system..and the manifold are both 1.5" diameter
I have been trying to keep with that diameter

are you saying that a smaller opening will work?
I do have 2 drain holes in the boat bottom
1 in the engine compartment, and the other not much farther
away, near the factory ballast in the ski locker

I just assumed that I needed to stay with the 1.5" in order for the suppy/demand ratio to work
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-24-2006, 6:31 AM Reply   
I think that they used that size because the smallest standard gate valve is 1.5" You have four 750 gph pumps, give or take, right? A 2000 gph pump has a 1" inlet, I think the 3800 gph has 1.125. It isn't rocket surgery, a 1" inlet should be fine.

Either way, I would certainly try it before I would drill any new holes in my boat! I think you would be fine. I'd hook it up temporarily and test by running all pumps at once, make sure you've got good flow.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-24-2006, 7:29 AM Reply   
Great advice from psyclone.

I wouldn't put the pickup on the transom if you can possibly avoid it. You will lose one of the biggest advantages to a built-in system - filling underway / on plane. The 21 XTi is a little tight on room in the bilge, and that Rival manifold is pretty big, but I'd make every effort to avoid putting it up on the transom.

I agree on the bronze emergency shutoff ball valve too - mandatory for a good system design.

The cored hull is easy to deal with; just glass the exposed core or bathe it in 5200. Just don't put the scupper in a place that will disrupt flow past any paddlewheels or depth finder transducers, and you'll be fine.

Post pics along the way! Good luck.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-24-2006, 9:44 AM Reply   
thanks for all of the input
I will get pics posted when I get that far