Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 06, 2009

Old     (chadgreg)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-02-2009, 8:11 AM Reply   
Here's an article in the Merced Sun Times:

Malibu Boats files for mass layoffs
In two letters, boat manufacturer says as many as 153 may lose jobs in coming weeks.
By SCOTT JASON
sjason@mercedsun-star.com
Malibu Boats sent a letter to its Merced employees Monday announcing that the company will probably be forced into mass layoffs at the end of May.

"We are sorry to have to take this action," company CEO Bob Alkema wrote to employees.

Letters were sent to all 200 or so employees at the Merced plant and company headquarters. Malibu officials said the worst-case scenario is that boat production would temporarily stop.

In a symbolic move, Alkema listed himself and other top managers among the people who could lose their jobs, though he said there are some positions that are safe.

He included himself to show that everyone's dealing with the recession. "If I give (a notice) to my guys, I give one to me too," he said. "We're in this together."

The boat company, like automakers and other manufacturers, is reeling from the effects of the credit crunch and lower consumer demand.

The 90,000-square-foot factory sent eight boats a day out the door in 2007. Now it's down to making one a day.

Dealers typically buy boats with bank loans and pay the debt off when it sells.

They're having a harder time buying as many boats to keep their floors stocked because banks are tightening the amount of credit available, marketing director Amy Mauzy said.

Alkema was among the company's founders and said he's never seen a market as troubled as this.

Mauzy said that it's been doing better than competitors because it began scaling back its production sooner. "We've been prepared," she said.

Nonetheless, Merced is faced with another major employer shedding some of its work force because of the recession.

Further, Arvin Sango, which manufactures Toyota parts, announced last week that 50 people accepted voluntary separation plans and another 29 were laid off companywide.

The cutback means that 15 people will be leaving the Merced plant, representing 22 percent of its work force.

Malibu was founded in 1982 in Merced and has remained based here. It has a plant in Tennessee and also an Australian headquarters.

There are no plans to move the company's headquarters from Merced, she said.

The Tennessee plant hasn't received any layoff notices because demand for boats has remained relatively high at four to five a day, Mauzy said.

Under the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act, major employers are required to alert government when they plan to dramatically reduce their work force.

They must also give a 60-day notice before layoffs become effective.

The two letters sent by Malibu's human resources director to the city mean that up to 153 workers could be let go, though Alkema said there are many jobs that are safe.

One letter sent March 23 said the company reasonably expects to lay off 83 workers in the manufacturing operation.

A second letter, dated March 30, listed an additional 70 workers that it expects to lay off. The job categories range from receptionist to chief executive officer.

In both memos, the company noted that it hopes business improves so that it may not be forced to let go as many workers.

It also wants to re-hire some of them when the economy begins to recover. The next 60 days will prove crucial to how deep the cuts will be, the CEO said.

In the meantime, Malibu plans to focus on building boats and pushing sales.

Reporter Scott Jason can be reached at (209) 385-2453 or sjason@mercedsun-star.com.

http://www.mercedsunstar.com/167/story/769697.html
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-02-2009, 9:17 AM Reply   
man I wish that was a april fools joke
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-02-2009, 9:33 AM Reply   
Sad for an industry leader and certainly a big contributor to the sport/hobby...
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-02-2009, 9:55 AM Reply   
Yes, this sucks, hope business picks up for all manufacturers.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-02-2009, 12:39 PM Reply   
Unemployment is a lagging indicator, it could be a sign that better times are around the corner.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-02-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-02-2009, 1:23 PM Reply   
I wonder what this means for Axis? Does it even get off the ground? Or will it get a boost because the lower price point would be more attractive/easier to afford?
Old     (saltare_inverts)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-02-2009, 1:34 PM Reply   
I am out of the loop. What is Axis? I assume a Moomba style line for Malibu but just a guess. Please enlighten me.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-02-2009, 1:44 PM Reply   
^^^ exactly!!^^^

price point version of malibu

randall is their leading supporter/ sponsored rider
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-02-2009, 1:52 PM Reply   
As some of you have already heard a local newspaper article was published about Malibu Boats today. And as we have come to expect the writer failed to put the piece of news reported in context or explain it thoroughly.

This latest report was prompted by a “Warn” letter that was presented to every employee at the Malibu Boats California factory and subsequently filed with the County and City of Merced, CA. This letter was Malibu Boats response to a State and Federal requirement of the Warn Act. Employees must be given at least 60 days notice of possible layoffs. This notice was not to inform employees they are being laid off. The letter was to inform them of the possibility. Malibu Boats will strive to avoid layoffs, but if some cut become necessary for the health of the company they will be temporary. The letter went to everyone at Malibu California including the CEO. This does not mean these warnings have or even will be enacted. This means Malibu has given the required notice of the possibility of layoffs.

While all boat manufacturers have been adversely affected by this economy Malibu is the only water sports boat manufacturer to not cease production. Since we are the only manufacturer to have multiple manufacturing facilities we have the ability to strategically plan our production from either factory. Malibu boats has also been preparing for this downturn in the economy for nearly two years. That foresight is paying off for Malibu now as we are the only manufacturer continuously building boats and employing the talented individuals who choose to work here.

Currently we are building boats at both the California and Tennessee plants. We happen to be building more boats in Tennessee right now. Our production levels at each plant fluctuate based on regional demand. A higher percentage of current orders are originating in the South, Midwest and Eastern United States. This is the reason for increased production levels in Tennessee right now. Malibu Boats cannot build out-of-region boats in California only to incur large freight bills getting these orders to their destinations. We need to be as efficient as possible.

Malibu Boats has successfully launched a new boat division (Axis) in the middle of this downturn providing further opportunities for big wake riders in the lower price market. This move is unprecedented and will allow Malibu Boats to hit the ground running when the economy beings its recovery.

Another bright side is the amazing value Malibu Boats offers. This value is being realized by consumers, but also by the company in the form of increased retail sales numbers over the last couple months. We stand to benefit as the economy as well as wholesale and retail financing begins to pick back up. We look forward to continued success for the entire Malibu Family when this takes place.

The California Malibu Boats Factory is not closing nor is everyone there being laid off. The California plant is and will always be the headquarters for Malibu Boats. Malibu Boats, just like everyone, is working hard to make it through to better times. We will get through this and be a stronger company when this is all said and done.
Old    justinh            04-02-2009, 2:08 PM Reply   
Matercraft sent many of its workers home last month.
Old     (mtownrydr)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-02-2009, 2:31 PM Reply   
Boats are way too expensive....
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-02-2009, 4:15 PM Reply   
So, I'm supposed to believe that the newspaper article, despite its facts from government documents and quotes from company officials, is not objective and balanced because it fails to provide "context."

If I want accurate and complete information "in context," I should believe Malibu's press release instead. Because, you know, the claim that Malibu offers "amazing value" is a stone cold fact, and it places the whole layoff thing in context while the newspaper story totally omits any mention of this "bright side."

Look, Malibu makes great boats. I really hope they survive the downturn and then prosper when things get rolling again. But, c'mon -- copying the company's own press release and suggesting we should ignore the news article? How credible is that?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-02-2009, 4:16 PM Reply   
On a lighter note Malibu is supporting the CIE Spring Ride this year (their first year ever). They're sending an Axis boat to the event for you guys to drive, ride, and rumor has the boat will be accompanied by the Vandall...allegedly!

Thanks to Malibu for their support in these tough times. Good company.
Old     (210san)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-02-2009, 4:40 PM Reply   
J-Rod...is that an april fools joke a day late? Is Axis really bringing a boat. I thought it was all about the X-Star

In 2005, CIE founded the annual “CIE Spring Ride.” As the years progress, the CIE Spring Ride has stapled itself as one of the largest, most anticipated Wakeboard gatherings in California. The event hosts a professional rider double up contest for spectators, a raffle with thousands in prizes, and an opportunity to meet other professional wake riders in a beautiful lake-front resort venue. The exclusive tow boat for the CIE Spring Ride is the Mastercraft X-Star which has respectfully gained the nickname “Bonecrusher.” Many spectators travel across the states and even countries to attend this event. The gathering has gained national exposure with the articles and pictures on Wakeworld and Wakeboarding Magazine. The creation behind the CIE Spring Ride was to join California riders in the kick-off of a new riding season.

You guys trading in the "Bonecrusher"???
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-02-2009, 4:53 PM Reply   
WHAT trade in the BONE?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-02-2009, 6:12 PM Reply   
Sounds like things are getting a little "corporate"? I guess it's hard to stay "grassroots" forever. And yes, boats are way too expensive for what's there...
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-02-2009, 6:16 PM Reply   
j rod said that the axis was for people to check out and ride on. im sure they are using the crusher for the double up.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-02-2009, 6:43 PM Reply   
What !!! Are you kidding me !!!! Malibu, problems? No Way!!

According to this site two weeks ago, I thought MasterCraft was the only mfg in trouble!!

People on here couldnt wait to kick MC when they were down (right NuBu ?)

Things like MC priced themselves out of the game, MC shoved boats down their dealers throats, the head honchos at MC were making too much money, MC is FILING BK, You cant believe what John Dorton says, hes lying to Dave Williams, etc. etc.

Now its Malibus turn in the bright spotlight of our dim economy.

I'm am sad to hear the news honestly. It surely does not help our beloved sport one bit for the second place mfg to have major layoffs.

Just think with Malibu cutting production how many carpet mfgs and plastic chrome factorys will be laying off people too. Sad,sad...

I'm sure I will get flamed for this, or this may even get my post deleted off, but I dont care.

I listened to all you MC haters bash and bash when the shoe was on the other foot.

It doesnt feel so good in the pit of your stomach when your favorite boat mfg is failing now does it.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-02-2009, 6:48 PM Reply   
"Mauzy said that it's been doing better than competitors"

Heard that before. Every one of the boat manufacturers claim to be doing better than the others.Everybody is just hanging on. And everybody knows it, despite all the spin.
Old     (mkrueger313)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-02-2009, 7:00 PM Reply   
Can anyone substantiate the claim in that press release that Malibu is still making boats and that all the other manufacturers have halted production??
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-02-2009, 7:05 PM Reply   
Billy - your latest post has helped your online persona once again.
Old     (my_malibu)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-02-2009, 7:28 PM Reply   
they have to send out 60 day notices to all employees ( new law)
no one is laid off
they might have too hence the notice
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-02-2009, 7:31 PM Reply   
Really Ewing? I didnt think it was any different than everyone elses posts about MC.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-02-2009, 7:36 PM Reply   
Can you feel the love?!
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-02-2009, 9:31 PM Reply   
MK,

Malibu's production line is still operating at both plants.
Old     (malibuboats4)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-02-2009, 9:33 PM Reply   
someones panties are in a bundle....
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-03-2009, 5:14 AM Reply   
I do not have any information about the state of Malibu,, but I do know about the Warn Act as we went through that in my family's business. It states that you have to give 60 days notice before mass layoffs, or the closing of a business or facility. There are some loop-holes in that if you were in the process of trying to sell the business and the notice of that could cause employees to leave and then adversly affect the business owners chances of selling the business, then there is a chance that the Warn Act does not apply. Now, with all that said, I am not a lawyer, and this is all para-phrased from my understanding so it may not be totally acurate. But, if you are found in violation of the Warn act in a plant closing, you could be liable for paying the salaries/wages for the difference between 60 days and the notice that was given. That, means that if they were planning on closing that plant or what not, they are giving notice so as to conserve cash and not have to pay 60 days salary IF they have to close or have temporary layoffs.... Now if there are any lawyers on here, they could probably fix any of my mistakes, but that is a laymans explanation of the Warn Act.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-03-2009, 6:16 AM Reply   
Is it any surprise that boat companies in general are experiencing layoffs and having tough times? Not sure why these type of threads are started about boat companies during these economic times, but it certainly does cause a stir. And it certainly is not cool to bash any boat company's product within the thread.

Look, boats are not a necessity. They are a luxury item like other RV's, jewelery, furs, etc. Luxury product companies are the first to take a hit when times get tough.

And no, I don't think that most boats are overpriced. MSRP is to be ignored for the most part, and after some negotiation with your local dealer you can usually get a nice price.

I'm sure some of you are in a position where a new boat would be affordable. Or perhaps you could buy a boat together with a friend. Either way the boat companies (and their employees)would appreciate any new buyers at this time.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-03-2009, 6:43 AM Reply   
Mastercraft and Axis are both Spring Ride Sponsors. MC is still pulling the contest.
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-03-2009, 7:09 AM Reply   
Awesome Billy. Love the qoute "Just think with Malibu cutting production how many carpet mfgs and plastic chrome factorys will be laying off people too. Sad,sad... "

Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-03-2009, 7:12 AM Reply   
Malibudude

"While all boat manufacturers have been adversely affected by this economy Malibu is the only water sports boat manufacturer to not cease production. Since we are the only manufacturer to have multiple manufacturing facilities"

This is just not true!!!!!!!!!!!
Old    swass            04-03-2009, 7:41 AM Reply   
“And as we have come to expect the writer failed to put the piece of news reported in context or explain it thoroughly.”

Have you had dealings with “the writer” before? Are you claiming a bias of some sort? You stated “This notice was not to inform employees they are being laid off.” The article makes no such claim. It seems to me that this story contains everything you have subsequently “clarified.”

“Malibu Boats sent a letter to its Merced employees Monday announcing that the company will probably be forced into mass layoffs at the end of May.

Under the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act, major employers are required to alert government when they plan to dramatically reduce their work force.

The two letters sent by Malibu's human resources director to the city mean that up to 153 workers could be let go, though Alkema said there are many jobs that are safe.

One letter sent March 23 said the company reasonably expects to lay off 83 workers in the manufacturing operation.”
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-03-2009, 8:01 AM Reply   
Looks like the CA plant would send some of it's workers to the TN plant to help save there jobs. Even if they took a pay cut, some money would still be coming in for there family's. I'm sure some of the TN plant workers would not mind taking in a fellow employee for a few weeks until the CA plant gets back on there feet. In times like this, American workers/people need to come together to help out our brothers. It sucks out there right now and I am helping out my brother in law since he has been laid off. 2 kids and one on the way very soon. I am very thankful that I have a job.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-03-2009, 9:42 AM Reply   
I agree 100% with what Billy said. I also believe that Malibu will come out of this thing worse off than MC, by far!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-03-2009, 10:03 AM Reply   
Wow, who cares who comes out better or worse, I hope they all come back strong, its better for the wakeboarding industry if all boat manufactures come out of this stronger.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-03-2009, 10:33 AM Reply   
Well hope is different than reality. I would bet the dealers, corp execs, employees and owners care how they come out of this thing.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-03-2009, 11:52 AM Reply   
I am a dealer and I never said I didn't care how they come out of this, I said I hope "ALL" manufactures come out of this stronger then before, because it is better for the entire Industry!!
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       04-03-2009, 1:48 PM Reply   
NO!!!
Old     (theskiflyer)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-03-2009, 9:17 PM Reply   
Unfortunately Malibu's new owners left nothing but "Blue Sky". No tangible assets left! The plants and property were sold after the sale of the company. That leaves +++ millions in debt and only a Branding, some molds and gel guns. Hope they survive this.