Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (rimreaper)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-29-2006, 10:17 PM Reply   
Whenever i try a 360, i always go off-axis and crash. Maybe its cuz i practiced something more difficult b4 learning the basics. Any suggestions?
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-30-2006, 6:58 AM Reply   
I don't know how well you have dialed in the basics, but there is usually one main reason people get off-axis on their 3's. It is because they try to start spinning before they have left the wake. You want to jump first, PAUSE, and then yank on the handle with two hands to your rear hip to begin your rotation.

This would be for a HS frontside 360. A video would help us to see your specific problem.
Old    alanp            06-30-2006, 7:40 AM Reply   
a simple answer is because tantrums are, in most peoples opinions, easier than 3's. now your specific problem im not sure. however there are a ton of posts in this section on the 3. start to research your problem there and let us know how it goes.
Old     (rimreaper)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-01-2006, 12:31 AM Reply   
Yeah a tantrum probably is easier because u don't have to pass the rope. I noticed when doin a 360 I get pulled forward by the rope when tryin to pass. This results in a face plant. Eubanks is probably right. I need to practice stoping in mid air and then turning.
Old     (cbphillips74)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-02-2006, 6:50 PM Reply   
You may try using a trampoline if you have access to one. I use a 14ft trampoline with a rope and handle with bungees to simulate rope tension. I also use an old board with the fins removed. This will help you stay on axis thru the jump and help with the handle pass.
Old                07-05-2006, 11:15 PM Reply   
if your getting off asix on 3's... all you have to do is WAIT longer after you pop... that was my biggest problem.. just pop up.. wiat.. then pull to spin... very easy
Old     (awake_all_day)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-10-2006, 5:56 PM Reply   
When you do a 360, you should be leaned slightly away from the boat during your rotation. When you pop off of the wake, people in the boat should be able to see the bottom of your board. Then pull the rope to the small of your back while looking over your shoulder to spot your landing. Kind of like this...
BOAT-------------/
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-11-2006, 7:20 AM Reply   
Patrick, if you are still looking at this thread, I will try to help you.

My biggest issue with the 360 was actually the cut, funny enough. When I would cut, I always had a little too much tension, since I would cut in with a nice progressive edge. This would immediately pull me a bit off axis, and make the pass near impossible.

Once I started laying off that edge, and taking a nice, easy, poppy ollie-edge into the wake, I started hitting my spins 100% of the time, with or without grabs. I would reccomend that you lessen your cut just a tad (to relieve some line tension), and see if it doesnt help you stop getting pulled off-axis.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-13-2006, 2:52 PM Reply   
Rail a super hard progressive cut, then as you ride up the wake ease off it and pop it hard off the top. Pop, pull, pass. A 360 is a simple trick and you have way more time than you think. Getting off axis means you are trying to spin off the wake and the board is slicing and throwing you off axis. If you get a good pop, wait 'til your peak and then snap the handle through the small of your back it will come easy. Also start with your elbows in tight.
Old     (mike_mclin)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-13-2006, 3:15 PM Reply   
Another way to get comfortable with staying off axis is to do your normal 180, to set your rotation, and then keep going from there. Always break it down into pieces. If you don't go off axis on your 180's then you won't go off axis on your 3's if you set the rotation the same way.

A 360 was a hard trick for me to learn. I knew about 15-20 inverts before landing my first 360 (including a few mobes). My problem was getting the handle pass. Finally after I landed a 313, I understood how to pull the rope to the small of my back, and was able to do 360's. Kindof wierd huh...using 313's to teach you how to do a 360. Anyways, back when I landed my first 360, wakeboarding was a different type of sport. Spins weren't nearly as popular or common as they are now.