Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    lakeside5_10            02-20-2008, 4:57 PM Reply   
ok. got the 2 lb. 1 inch esp board today and it seems that its to hard to bend a concave in it but a rocker profile will be easy , what would everybody recommend on cloth once to use that would keep the board from breaking , i was thinking of 10oz. on top and 6oz. on bottom.
And would a flat bottom board work well ??
Old    surfdad            02-20-2008, 6:35 PM Reply   
You might be able to shape a bit of concave into the bottom, if you can't bend it. "Normal" construction is 6 x 6/6, so you'd have a single layer of 6 oz on the bottom and two layers of 6 oz on the top. Without getting too nerdy...fiberglass isn't balanced in tension and compression. It's about 1/2 one to the other...anyway...doubling the top layer will give you a balanced build. It should also hold your rocker.

There are many flat boards - all the P5's, most of the IS's, Walzer's, TWP Comp X's. However, you mentioned that you were planning to build a Trick Boardz replica? You might have to adjust the size to get a good ride.

Keep us posted!
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-20-2008, 9:42 PM Reply   
cool mark! did you already order your cloth?

like jeff said you can go 6 on bottom and double 6 on top so you just have to order one type of cloth.

on my first board (stringerless) i did 4/4 x 4/4 plus another 4oz deck patch and it has been fine with lots of use and abuse.
Old     (txshreds)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-20-2008, 10:18 PM Reply   
Smed... Hey Rusty here. We met at the boat show. Tried to shoot you a email and it came back. Send me your info.
rustydiego@hotmail.com
Old    lakeside5_10            02-21-2008, 4:50 AM Reply   
Jeff , i think i will go with surf style board, a blunt nose with hard rails with a 1/4 inch concave V from nose to tail, i also bought some future fins ( production) to install on it. i have 8 sheets so i can play around with tail shapes.

Smed ,i think i will use the aerolight e glass
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-21-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
great mark - if you are getting it a fiberglass supply you can also go with the warp bias e-glass for some added strength tail to nose. the glass is a heavier weave lengthwise.

Rusty - hey -just sent you a message.
Old    lakeside5_10            02-21-2008, 8:00 AM Reply   
Smed,
this warp e glass would act like a stringer ??
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-21-2008, 8:39 AM Reply   
mark
i don't think it would give the same strength as a stringer, but that is the idea - to give more stiffness lengthwise.

From Fiberglass Supply's website:
Warp Bias, E Glass Surfboard Fabrics, contain more yarn in the warp (length) direction for the purpose of added stiffness and buckling resistance.
Old    lakeside5_10            02-21-2008, 9:03 AM Reply   
SO i can use 6warp/6sx6s glass to make a lasting board. i think my xbc fish was just 6x6, because of all the dents on my deck. I wonder if jeff or james rode this demo#2 board i bought from xbc. I am trying to get my girlfriends boys into surfing , ages 8-11, and i think these boards i will make will be great for them.
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-21-2008, 10:15 AM Reply   
jeff - do you think mark's schedule would work on a 1 inch thick stringerless board? i haven't gone that thin...
Old    surfdad            02-21-2008, 11:08 AM Reply   
I've ridden boards with this same build, but we've also snapped a few. Personally, I wouldn't go less than 1.5" without a stringer, a composite or without using higher density foam - like d-cell.

However...the original Walzer Alpha's had some crazy light foam, I'm guessing around 2 pound and I don't think they used a stringer. So, it's possible, I do believe. I think if you wanted to make a lasting board, I'd just glue up a basswood or PVC stringer...otherwise, I'd try the top double oppossed.

I do believe that the XBC's were all 6 bottom double 6 top.
Old    lakeside5_10            02-21-2008, 1:19 PM Reply   
double oppossed??

the fish i got was a preproduction board without any company logo inlay , only xbc stickers, you can see it on my profile pic.
Old    surfdad            02-21-2008, 2:19 PM Reply   
I believe that all of the XBC were a 6 x 6/6 construction.

Sorry about not being clear. On the top where you will have a double layer of glass. You can run the weave diagonally. Typically folks will just run the glass the length of the board. However, if you run the weave at 45 degrees one to the left and one to the right you can gain some extra rigidity.
Old    lakeside5_10            02-22-2008, 4:31 AM Reply   
thanks