Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-29-2008, 4:23 AM Reply   
I bought my first inboard about a month ago. It is starting to get into the low 40's at night here and I got to wondering about when I need to winterize my boat. I plan on using it until mid to late November. What steps do I need to take to prepare it for sub 32 deg nights?
Old     (pri3st)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-29-2008, 7:12 AM Reply   
Just pull the plugs on the block on the cold nights until your ready to fully winterize
Old    mendo247            09-29-2008, 7:21 AM Reply   
I refuse to winterize! I throw a nice fuzzy blanket over the block and call it good, ofcourse this is Norcal and we dont have the worst weather but we usually get a month or so of freezing temps a year.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-29-2008, 7:35 AM Reply   
I always wait until it gets down below freezing for the 1st time
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-29-2008, 9:46 AM Reply   
Always a tough call. Hate to put it away and then have a few nice days. Also hate to wait too long...if ya know what I mean....

Upload
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-29-2008, 1:36 PM Reply   
Move to California or Florida and you never have to
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-29-2008, 1:42 PM Reply   
I don't think you need to worry. It's going to take more than just a night @ 32F to freeze and cause damage. I don't think that you can pull the frost plugs, can you? At least the engines I have worked on these are brass, pressure fitted plugs.... not ones that can be taken in/out?

I've heard a good rule of thumb is that if you can leave a gallon bucket of water overnight and not have it freeze solid, you don't have to worry about your boat engine. I personally never winterize mine until it's waaay too late and the winterizing process almost causes you to lose fingers to frost bite.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-29-2008, 1:59 PM Reply   
I think the "plugs" being referenced are the water drain plugs in the engine / manifold. Mine has a plug in each side.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-29-2008, 2:31 PM Reply   
I usually do mine at the end of November
Old     (99_air_warrior)      Join Date: May 2008       09-29-2008, 7:44 PM Reply   
Richard is right you can throw a blanket over the engine or use a heat lamp or bulb it would take alot more than One night to do damage. if anything would freeze it would be your heater core ballast pumps just pulling your block drains and exhaust manifold drains will not protect you from damage. you have trans coolers,fresh water pump,shower,heater,three ballast pumps malibu has six ballast pumps. mercruiser has a fuel cooler.