Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2007

Old     (megan)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-24-2007, 1:33 PM Reply   
Hey everyone I'm new to wakeboarding but have wanted to learn for sometime now. I've decided I'm doing it this year. Where do I go to learn? Do I have to buy gear right away or can I rent? Where can I get a pull for a rookie? I don't want to go speeding across the lake my first time. are there groups that get together and everyone pitches in? I don't have a boat or anything where do I start?
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-24-2007, 2:25 PM Reply   
I'd try the find a third be a third section. Most people have a loaner board so you don't need to buy your own equipment until you're ready. You can rent/demo from shops and most add your demo price into whatever board you decide to buy.

You can pay a coach but for just getting up and learning the basics you really don't need to. I'm in school so I don't go as much right now but you're welcome to come with me and my friends some time when we do go. (Oh, and search for one of the threads about going on other people's boats, those have some great tips!)

Good luck!
Old     (factory)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-24-2007, 2:30 PM Reply   
pm sent
Old     (dan_lee)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-26-2007, 1:50 PM Reply   
If you do want lessons hook up with my boys at westsidewatersports.net
Old    bocephus            03-26-2007, 2:12 PM Reply   
I emailed you too and your myspace...

We have an informal group at

http://groups.myspace.com/azwakeboarding

Also we go every Saturday. All you need is some gas money to give Lantz and the ability to help clean. We most likley have a wakeboard and bindings that will fit you.

This last Saturday it was just three of us, we were at the lake from 9:30 to 6:30. We had a total of 5 runs each...

(Message edited by bocephus on March 26, 2007)
Old     (cece)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-26-2007, 2:53 PM Reply   
Check out the Maven Sessions, which will be at Lake Pleasant on April 19th & 20th. There will be all kinds of Liquid Force boards and bindings to demo plus some great instruction from the Liquid Force women riders. Go to www.liquidforcemaven.com for more info and to register.
Old     (martinique)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-26-2007, 4:05 PM Reply   
I will be out visiting and looking for a house this weekend. If anyone has room let me know have cash/equip and will help clean
Old    bocephus            03-26-2007, 4:55 PM Reply   
We may have room, not sure how many regulars are coming. I can help you hunt for a house though...

www.hometowntempe.com
Old    alanp            03-26-2007, 5:02 PM Reply   
most importantly, have you ever wakeboarded before?
Old     (martinique)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-26-2007, 5:31 PM Reply   
let me know on the pulls so I know if I should bring my gear on the plane...as far as a house I am trying to decide on location I have been looking in Fountain Hills and Scottsdale. but would like to find something closer to a decent lake. The only lake I have been to out there is Pleasant. So lake info is also very appreciated
Old     (lastemperor)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-26-2007, 6:06 PM Reply   
Fountain Hills is pretty close to Saguaro as is Mesa, and Cave Creek/North Scottsdale is relatively close to Bartlett. North Phoenix is close to Pleasant. And that's about it.

Megan - there's tons of guys in Arizona (and on this forum) with boats, and I'm sure that you'll find a ride very easily. Ryan (Bocephus) and his friend Eric Lantz helped my ex-gf learn to wakeboard, and she got up and rode (for ages) on her second try, so I'd definitely say that those two are a great place to start. Another friend of mine goes out with his girlfriend from time to time, in case you're looking for a girl to ride with.

As for boards, you can demo boards at all of the local boat dealerships and shops for pretty cheap (a case of beer in most cases). I'd say that's the best way to go until you know if you like it. That Maven Sessions thing sounds pretty dope too.

Good luck.
Old     (megan)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-26-2007, 6:52 PM Reply   
Alan -
No, I have not wakeboarded yet.

Dave - I signed up for the Maven session on Friday so I'm pretty excited about that. It would be cool to go riding with another girl, maybe she can give me some tips you guys don't know about. ;)
What shops will let you demo for a case of beer? I can deffinately come up with that.
Old     (boardshack)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-26-2007, 8:06 PM Reply   
THEBOARDSHACK.COM (LOCATED NEAR LAKE PLEASANT) Let us know what we can do to help you out. Demo product, lessons, pulls, feel free to call or email us anytime with questions.
Old     (jlembas)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-26-2007, 8:13 PM Reply   
CeCe...you forgot to plug the obvious!

http://www.theawa.com
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-26-2007, 9:21 PM Reply   
I ride every weekend (all year round). We usually ride at Sagauro in the winter and Lake roosevelt in the Summer. You are welcome with our crew anytime. We do have other women that ride with us. A variety of us are good teachers as well as good riders. PM/email me anytime..
Old     (cece)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-27-2007, 7:37 AM Reply   
Thanks Jerry! Sometimes I'm too smart for my own good

If you guys haven't checked out an AWA event, our first contest is the Saturday after the Maven Sessions. It is a great way to meet local riders. Plus you don't have to be a "Pro" to ride, we have divisons for every skill level. Go to www.theawa.com for more info.

Megan - You will have a blast at the Maven Sessions. We had many first timers last year and they all got up and were riding by the end of their turn. It is such a great stress free atmosphere and you are learning from people that have been teaching for years.
Old     (more_betterness)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-27-2007, 10:13 AM Reply   
Megan, I work for Surfside boats in tempe and we have demo's availible, we also offer lessons. Definitely check out the AWA events, great people and a chance to find plenty of pulls.
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-27-2007, 11:49 AM Reply   
Hey Chris, you need to update your profile! Your in AZ. How's the shop going? What's new?
Old     (lastemperor)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-27-2007, 3:41 PM Reply   
The boarding industry (skis, snowboards, wakeboards, etc.) is fueled by beer--it's as good as money.

The guys at Paradise Watersports (the malibu dealership) have always treated me well when I've been in there. They are located in Tempe just south of McKellips on McClintock/Hayden on the west side of the street. Surfside is right next door to them, too. Look them up on google for the exact address/directions.

I'll let you know if I can get my buddy and his GF to go out anytime soon. It's still a little cold for them, but maybe I can talk them into it. It's been my experience that girls communicate way better with one another, so I'm sure that it'd help!

Good luck learning how to shred.
Old     (martinique)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-28-2007, 6:14 AM Reply   
still looking for a ride saturday if anyone has room....have gas money and beer and cleaning skills
Old    bocephus            03-28-2007, 7:49 AM Reply   
AG,
I won't know if we have room until Friday. You can call me at (480) 967-5474 if want.
Old     (desertcajun)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-05-2007, 6:31 PM Reply   
Take a trip to lake havasu you can get a pull and beginner instruction behind our 07 malibu 247rx.........