Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-30-2007, 1:39 PM Reply   
I want to wash my stock cover/tarp that came with my X-Star. Or is it better to just get the scrub brush out? Anything special to think about? Cold or Hot water? Anybody have any idea on what an average price would be?
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-30-2007, 2:01 PM Reply   
Hot water & pressure always works best when cleaning. I would try not to use any solvents because it will suds up every time it gets wet.
Old     (smithc25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-30-2007, 2:58 PM Reply   
Do not use of any pressure as this separates the fabric weave. Water hose and mild dish detergent(dove) or a vinyl cleaner such as tuff stuff. This is what the guy who made my cover told me to use and it is made of sunbrella
Old     (billthom)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-30-2007, 4:51 PM Reply   
If you scrub it you want to re-treat it as well. Check out:

http://www.sunbrella.com/na/en/marine.pl

On the left click in "Care and Cleaning" to learn what you should do.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-30-2007, 4:59 PM Reply   
Take it to a laundry matt and run it through their industrial size washer on delicate. When done put in one of their dryers on low heat. When you get home, lay the cover out in a clean area, and spray it with silicone tent spray. You can find it in most sports stores. I've used this method on my rankins for six years now with great results. I usually wash it twice a year.
Old     (sroot1)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-30-2007, 6:06 PM Reply   
We spread our cover out on top of a blue tarp in the driveway. Then we use any kind of gentle laundry soap and a soft bristle car brush to scrub it! Then rinse out the soap with garden hose.
After its dry I put the cover on the boat and treat the fabric with 303 fabric protectent. I apply it with a small gravity cup spray gun.
The 303 is great stuff! our cover repels water almost as good as new Sunbrella fabric after treating like this.Our boat sits outside all summer and at the end of the season it still repeled water like when we treated it.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-30-2007, 11:00 PM Reply   
I second Scott Root... However, I just go buy 3-4 can's of scotch guard, hang the cover up and spray the top of the cover after it's dry from washing/scrubbing it on the driveway.
Old     (sroot1)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-31-2007, 8:14 AM Reply   
I used to use 3m stuff but since I tried 303 I rarely use an aresol can of 3m!
even if you do not have a spray gun you can get spray bottles from any auto detailing site.
There is just an awful lot of surface area on a cover for a squeeze trigger bottle.
Old     (the_right_kind)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-31-2007, 8:32 AM Reply   
Scott, Do you have a good on-line sorce for the 303?
Old     (sroot1)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-31-2007, 2:16 PM Reply   
I bought 303 from:
http://www.autogeek.net/303.html

I am sure there are others that sell it by the gallon as well!
I am no green freak! but I try to buy stuff that has no propellant's and containers that are recyclable etc.
Plus the stuff is cheaper in bulk!
I did not mention before but when I get the gun out I treat everyhing with this stuff! Car seats,Lifejackets, goretex drysuit, shoes, raingear etc. you name it! It makes stuff h2o proof and keeps dirt and stuff from staining fabric.
Another thing that I bought from them that I think works great are Micro-Fiber towels for drying and waxing. I had all cotton towels before but this micro-fiber stuff works way better for drying and waxing gelcoat and painted surfaces! If you have not used one get a small towel and try it! You will like it!