Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (jeffreyala)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-22-2005, 12:02 PM Reply   
Hopefully one of you stereo guru's can help me out. I have 2 preamp outputs on my deck. One set goes to a mono amp for the sub. I need to run the other set to a 4ch amp to run the front and back speakers. What is the best way to run the front and rears off the single preamp output? I assume using a set of (1) female to (2) male RCA splitters? How do these wire up from the single output to the 4 ch amp? Also, would it be better to split it close to the amp or deck?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old     (sup208)      Join Date: May 2004       03-22-2005, 12:16 PM Reply   
I would split it close to the amp, then you only have to buy and run one set of cables. The splitters are the way to go. Some 4 channel amps have selector switches that allow you to run channels 3&4 from the 1&2 inputs. Basically they are splitting the signal once it gets inside the case. Thats what I do. I have to run 4 speakers on one amp and 4 on another. Ch 3&4 on both amps get their signals from 1&2
Old     (jeffreyala)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-22-2005, 12:22 PM Reply   
Thanks for the reply K.J.

My amp is a rockford fosgate punch 501x. I'll have to look and see if it has a switch on it. Then I wouldn't need the splitters.

So I just use 1 set (2) of splitters if I don't have an internal switch?
Old     (jeffreyala)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-22-2005, 12:45 PM Reply   
Mine doesn't have the switch. It does have a "pass thru" output on the amp though to connect another amp? I wonder if I could just run the mono sub amp off of this????? That would leave my 2 preamps for my front and back speakers.........
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-22-2005, 12:47 PM Reply   
Yes Jeff, you can run the sub amp off of that. Just make sure you use the cross overs on the amp and not on the deck.
Old     (jeffreyala)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-22-2005, 12:50 PM Reply   
Cool. Thanks!
Old     (kid_a)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-22-2005, 1:40 PM Reply   
Back when i had a stereo with just one set rca outputs i purchased an audio control crossover that had only one input and 3 sets of out i think two were for mid/high and the other was for low. worked out great and lots of control and usually better than an amp or head unit crossover.
Old     (jeffreyala)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-22-2005, 1:47 PM Reply   
I'll have to check it out. I'll make sure my next head unit for the boat has 3 preouts...........I have a nice Pioneer in the Tahoe with 2 preouts and a sub preout with all the crossovers built in...... It even has a guy wakeboarding on it on the video display. :-)

I just don't feel like swapping the unit from the boat to the car......
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-22-2005, 10:39 PM Reply   
would not use a set of rca splitter unless the deck can drive low impedence level...otherwise it will fry the pre-amp output..
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-23-2005, 5:33 AM Reply   
Jeffrey you can still use the pass thrus and the crossover on the deck as the pass thru signal is not affected by the internal cross over. You almost need to on a boat as your driving the boat speakers so hard they will distort and fail if any bass is going to them.
Old     (jeffreyala)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-23-2005, 6:26 AM Reply   
Ok. Tha Thanks for that tip Mike. My deck is the Sony CDX MP40. The amp that I am hooking to the RF Punch via the pass thru is an MTX Thunder 251D and it has a built in Low Pass Crossover. I don't think I can control what goes to the MTX unit from the deck as that goes to the RF Punch first. I guess I can only control the gain at the MTX amp itself? Thanks for the advice guys, I'm kinda new to the stereo stuff.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old     (sup208)      Join Date: May 2004       03-23-2005, 7:42 AM Reply   
Splitting the signal is not a big deal. Input have very high impedance because the load will alway get dropped across the high impedance. outputs have low impedance and the result is that a signal comming out of a deck get dropped across the input of the amp. We are usually talking 50K ohms or greater input impedance. if you split that you are still looking as 25K ohms or better. Thats not going to hurt a deck. I worked for soundstream running their amplifier manufacturing for around 7 years and we never lost a head unit running multiple amps. When it comes down to it, you have to do what you are comfortable with and with what budget you have. You will be happier in the long run if you spend the money and do it right. Sell the head unit you have and buy another with the preamp outs and sub out that you need. M
Old     (jeffreyala)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-23-2005, 8:37 AM Reply   
Maybe I will just have to swap the sony out with the Pioneer DEH that I have. It has 2 fr and rear plus the sub out...........Thanks for the help folks!

Jeff
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-23-2005, 12:51 PM Reply   
kj - i kinda agree/disagree....i blew out the preamp section of a 5v elcipse deck splitting rca's..most decks cant double the voltage into a lower impedence load...

btw, the soundstream decks are one of favorite decks of all time...very clean look and way ahead of their time....werent they nakamichi heads or parts ?

you could add a line drive or crossover and gain the extra rca's you need or change out the deck..
Old     (jeffreyala)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-23-2005, 1:17 PM Reply   
I am going to try and run the MTX off the passthru on the Fosgate and see how it sounds. I am guessing I am going to end up putting the sony deck in my tahoe and take the Pioneer DEH with the F/R/Sub preoouts and use that in the boat....

Thanks!
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-23-2005, 3:11 PM Reply   
if you have a passthrough a amp, it should work fine..the drawback is the lack of fader if needed..