Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-31-2011, 8:56 PM Reply   
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermiling

With everyone talking about Gas prices. This might make a intresting topic. Last year I bought a 2010 Prius. I have been using this as my comuter car for just over a year now. And I hate to say it but I like it. I have 35 thousand miles on it and I have been getting 47mpg.

I use a program call Fuel Log (a free I-phone app) on my I-phone to track my fuel usage and cost. This way is WAY more accurate than a car's Factory computer. Example the Prius factory computer will lie to you and tell you your got 50+ MPG . Fuel Log will tell you the Ulgy truth.

Well Last week I decided to see how far I could go on the 9.8 Gallons of gas the car hold's
I went 616 Miles before the car ran out of gas and turned into a eletric golf cart.

When it was all said and done I got 56-Mpg. Its pretty amazing driving a car that just dosent chew threw gas. The money I save comuting to the lake and all over the place for work has saved me over $500 in fuel in one month.
Attached Images

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-31-2011, 10:31 PM Reply   
Hows 80+ miles per gallon grab ya?

PRESS RELEASE:

FUSION HYBRID AVERAGES 81.5 MPG, SETS WORLD RECORD WITH 1,445 MILES ON SINGLE TANK OF GAS

The 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid 1,000 Mile Challenge Car

* Drivers trained in mileage-maximizing techniques achieve 1,445 miles on a single tank of gas in a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid – averaging 81.5 mpg in Washington, D.C. – and set world record for gasoline-powered, midsize sedan
* The Fusion Hybrid 1,000-Mile Challenge proves that fuel-efficient driving techniques can nearly double a vehicle's EPA-rated fuel economy
* The demonstration of the Fusion Hybrid's ultra high-mileage potential also raised more than $8,000 for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation

WASHINGTON, April 28, 2009 – Drivers trained in mileage-maximizing techniques such as smooth acceleration and coasting to red lights were able to get an extraordinary 1,445.7 miles out of a single tank of gas during a fund-raising effort in Washington, D.C. that concluded today. They did it by averaging 81.5 miles per gallon in an off-the-showroom floor, non-modified 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, the most fuel-efficient midsize car in North America – nearly doubling its U.S. certified mileage.

The Fusion Hybrid 1,000-Mile Challenge started at 8:15 a.m. EDT on Saturday, April 25, from Mount Vernon, Va., and ended this morning at 5:37 a.m. on George Washington Parkway in Washington, D.C. After more than 69 continuous hours of driving, the Fusion Hybrid finally depleted its tank and came to a stop with an odometer reading of 1,445.7 miles – setting a world record for gasoline-powered, midsize sedan.

The challenge team, which included NASCAR star Carl Edwards, high mileage trailblazer Wayne Gerdes and several Ford Motor Company engineers, raised more than $8,000 for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) by exceeding the goal of 1,000 miles on a single tank of gas. The Fusion Hybrid's official estimated range is approximately 700 miles per tank.

"Not only does this demonstrate the Fusion Hybrid's fuel efficiency, it also shows that driving technique is one of the keys to maximizing its potential," said Nancy Gioia, director, Ford Sustainable Mobility Technologies and Hybrid Vehicle Programs. "The fact that we were able raise much needed funds for JDRF while raising the bar on fuel efficient driving performance made the effort doubly worthwhile."

Maximizing mileage
A team of seven drivers prepared for the challenge by learning a few mileage-maximizing techniques, most of which can be used in any vehicle to improve fuel economy, but are especially useful in the Fusion Hybrid where the driver can take advantage of pure electric energy at speeds below 47 mph.

CleanMPG.com founder Wayne Gerdes, an engineer from Illinois who coined the term "hypermiling" to describe the mileage-maximizing techniques, provided the pointers. They include:

* Slowing down and maintaining even throttle pressure;
* Gradually accelerating and smoothly braking;
* Maintaining a safe distance between vehicles and anticipating traffic conditions;
* Coasting up to red lights and stop signs to avoid fuel waste and brake wear;
* Minimize use of heater and air conditioning to reduce the load on the engine;
* Close windows at high speeds to reduce aerodynamic drag;
* Applying the "Pulse and Glide" technique while maintaining the flow of traffic;
* Minimize excessive engine workload by using the vehicle's kinetic forward motion to climb hills, and use downhill momentum to build speed; and
* Avoiding bumps and potholes that can reduce momentum

"You become very aware of your driving because you're constantly looking for opportunities to maximize mileage, and a more aware driver is a safer driver, too," said Gil Portalatin, Ford hybrid applications manager.

In addition, it is important for Fusion Hybrid drivers to manage the battery system's state of charge through the use of regenerative braking and coasting, and balancing the use of the electric motor and gas engine in city driving to avoid wasting fuel.

Fusion Hybrid drivers also can stay more connected to the hybrid driving experience with Ford's SmartGaugeTM with EcoGuide, a unique instrument cluster that helps coach drivers on how to optimize performance of their hybrid.

The Challenge
The Fusion Hybrid 1,000-Mile Challenge team took turns driving several routes in and around the national capital over the course of approximately three days and nights. The route involved elevation changes, and ranged from the relatively open George Washington Parkway to a 3-mile stretch in the heart of the city that is clogged with roughly 30 traffic signals.

"The Fusion Hybrid works brilliantly," Gerdes said. "When you don't need acceleration power while driving around town, the gas engine shuts down seamlessly. There's not another hybrid drivetrain in the world that does that as effectively. The Fusion engineering team really knocked it out of the park."

Ford NASCAR star Carl Edwards took time away from the high speed world of professional car racing to contribute to the Fusion Hybrid team's success in D.C.

"It was exciting to be an active part in this challenge. The fact that it will help spread the word about the Fusion Hybrid's great mileage, and help out a great charity, makes it even more special," said Edwards, whose '99' team has used fuel-saving techniques to win races. "There's no question that the Fusion Hybrid will help consumers save fuel when they drive it. Having driven the car, I feel strongly about how great it is – so strong that I've purchased one myself."

You totally could have bought American too!!!
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-01-2011, 3:50 AM Reply   
What are your driving habits? City %, hiway%, under 35mph, over35mph?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-01-2011, 9:01 AM Reply   
81 MPG out of a Ford Fusion. Yea Im sure it could be done. BUT not in real world conditions.
Example. If I decided to drive one El Camino at rush hr you CANT or shouldnt "Hypermill" I can see driving real slow and going into "Electric Mode" Late at night and on side streets, Did the contest say when and where you had to drive? I guess there is a lot of conditions that could prove that contest B.S. Unless your trying to win some contest WHO is gonna wanna drive like a Grandma for 1000+ miles tank after tank of gas. Its just not a Real World senario.

Another Example, If you live somewhere flat your Average MPG is gonna be 10 to 15 MPG more than living in the hills

My 56 MPG is somthing that can be done by anyone. 80% of the miles I drove on that tank were freeway driving.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-02-2011, 3:16 PM Reply   
The average speed of the Fusion was 21 MPH which is pretty common and realistic. I'm not sure how the contest was structured but I know the people were taught hypermilling.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-02-2011, 4:24 PM Reply   
IMO 21 MPH ave is more like 80% city and 20% Freeway. Never the less 81 MPG is pretty awesome, Just don't know if its anywhere near a Real #.

They say a Fusion gets 40 MPG and that seems pretty crazy for how big the car is. I would like to test drive one for a few weeks and see what kind of MPG I can get.

I drove a Ford Escape Hybrid for 3 weeks the best I could get was 26 MPG

I have been checking out the Lexus CT 200. They say 41 MPG.
Old    deltahoosier            04-02-2011, 4:49 PM Reply   
PRESS RELEASE:

FUSION HYBRID driver in Los Angeles shot in road rage incident. Driver was reported trying to reproduce results of the Fusion Hybrid 1,000 mile challenge. A woman eye witness quoted as saying, "If he didn't shoot him, I was going to..."

That is all......
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-02-2011, 5:52 PM Reply   
Oh G I didn't post that because its a realistic number that can be attained in day to day life but rather because it can be done. Take a look at your cars average speed if the computer tells you and you'll find that you're probably in the mid 20's. A good driver in a Fusion can get on average over 50 mpg but its largely dependant on ones driving habits. The nice thing about the Fusion is that it can run on the electric motor up to 47 MPH. The Technology in the Fusion and the Escape are pretty different. The Fusion is much more effecient as it is a full Hybrid.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-03-2011, 8:57 AM Reply   
Is it the OEM's who come up with these MPG figures? I always thought it was performed by an unbiased 3rd party?

UGH! Gas is killing me. I commute 60 miles to and from work everyday. I bought a Suzuki DRZ supermoto and planned to commute with that, but damn, by the time I get to work I can't feel my ass and hands from the vibrations and 18 wheelers will blow right into the wall. I feel like Loyd from dumb and dumber on his motorbike.
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-05-2011, 7:42 PM Reply   
I recently bought a 11 Kia Optima SX T-GDI to drive for work ~50k miles a year instead of my 08 Magnum R/T AWD I have went from ~17mpg to ~32mpg and I have to say I love it. Im not trying to get great mileage, but Im also not beating the tar out of it either. The gas savings alone per month are paying about %70 of the new car payment. I to looked at the lexus CT 200, I just felt super big in the car (6'1" 205lbs) I felt really crammed in there, and the technology and features were way behind the kia. It drove pretty smooth, but its a Prius with a smaller frame. It was a nice car but not for me. It would have come out about 5k more OTD, so the kia made more sense. However resale value im sure would also be greater on the lexus vs the kia, only time will tell.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-06-2011, 6:14 AM Reply   
I drive a lexus is250 and drive 40k miles a year mostly highway. I got 125k on the car and lifetime MPG has been 30mpg usually 75-80mph. I did the stupid hypermiling for about 40 miles and got 42mpg going about 58mph on the flat highway. Too frigin boring

Topgear did their test of the Prius versus BMW M3, and that was a great show. M3 got better gas mileage. Yeh the Prius was floored the entire time and the M3 was barely over 2k rpms. I wonder if the Prius gets 30mpg like my lexus going 80mph???

Love the PressRelease. If you hypermile, you better not be in the passing lane!!! That Lexus hybrid is ugly and an overpriced Prius.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-06-2011, 5:28 PM Reply   
I guess what it comes down to is how much are you willing to slow down to save gas. I got to say 10 years ago it would have NEVER worked for me I was always in the fast lane going 80. I had to be where ever I was going fasted then the next guy. Back then I was getting out of a 911 Porsche. Then I got a truck and so slowing down was a bit easyer. Then I got a Big Old Esclade, That thing Slowed me way down. That thing just felt right going slow and chilling. A nice comfortable ride ect. Then to switch things up and see how much gas I could save, I got the Prius. And to tell you the truth I don't mis the Esclade that much. I now Have a nice Ford F-150 to tow the boat with, It stays at the lake with the boat, and I got to say I hate driving the F-150. And filling it up at the pump after driving the Prius for so long Makes me look back at all the GAS and energy I wasted driving a Big old SUV and Trucks. I put between 35 and 45 K on a car in a year. As far as towing I tow a few Hundred miles a year.
Its not for everyone but if it fits your life style, Then go for it. I have turned a few friends on to Prius, We joke about how much gas we save, And how big of geeks we are. I had a Hyper Mill contest with a prius buddy Loser filled the other guys tank. I won with the 56 mpg 614 Mile tank
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-06-2011, 5:31 PM Reply   
BTW I checked out the CT 200 and when it was coming out they said it was gonna cost 29 -34 tops NOW that its out is starts at 34 and go;s up to 36 or 38 IMO thats to much, Its a nice up grade from the prius, BUT the down side is you loos lots of room in the CT. I have been amazed @ how much stuff I have put in the Prius. The CT seems like they lost alot of the room. Plus it looks Like a Mazda 3 to me