Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-31-2006, 10:53 AM Reply   
http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='REF7541A'&Ser=REF&Cat=AMP

I can get one of these as a refurb with full warranty for $150! my local installer has 2 of these left. they got 5 from their infinity rep and 3 of the reps bought one already!

what do you think? i was planning on going with JL, but this is a pretty sweet deal.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       01-31-2006, 11:38 AM Reply   
I love Infinity speakers but dont know much about their amps. Its CEA compliant and the price is right. What are you planning on running with this amp ?
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-31-2006, 11:50 AM Reply   
I just went and bought it!

I'm going to run a pair of Polk Momo MMC650's and my JL 10" sub. I guess I'll probably just run my tweeters off the deck or keep my current 4-channel 160-watt soundstream and run them off of that. He recommended not running my tweeters off of this as it would be way overkill. The momo's are rated at 80 watts RMS max, but they don't think it will be a problem. Worst case I could run some resistors they said. I don't know much about their amps either, but it sure seems like a heck of a deal. The thing is a beast! It's a refurb, but it's got a 1 year warranty so for that price it should be a decent deal. No scratches or anything and it looks new. (knock on wood!). I was going to get another JL amp, but just couldn't pass this up. The JL was power rated way less and more than twice as much. The only thing that concerns me is that supposedly this thing draws 60 amps! Now I just need a few days of no rain so I can bring my baby in for install. :-)

Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-31-2006, 11:52 AM Reply   
one thing i notices is the signal to noise ratio seems a little low, aren't most good amps in the 90's?
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       01-31-2006, 12:48 PM Reply   
I didnt catch the db levels when I pulled your url. That does seem a little low but not sure from an amp stand point if its a big deal or not. Still for $150 and a full warrenty I think you got a good deal.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-31-2006, 1:14 PM Reply   
ssssswwwwwwweeeeeeeeeetttt!!!

now i just need to decide how to configure everything

should i just run the tweets off the deck power? and run my JL sub and polk speekers off of the amp you think? my kenwood is rated at 55wx4 i think. or would that sound crappy? or should i keep my current 160-watt soundstream 4-channel (40-watt x4 rms) to power my polk mmc650's and tweeters and then add a second sub and run two 10" subs off of this new amp? i really didn't want to add another sub up front because i really don't have the room. would two subs make a difference?

(Message edited by brucemac on January 31, 2006)
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       01-31-2006, 1:25 PM Reply   
More subs the better IMO if you have the room. If your only running a single pair of Polks The two amps will be fine, no need to run the tweets off the HC. I would use the SS for the Polks and the Infinity for the sub(s)
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-31-2006, 1:44 PM Reply   
yeah, the more i think about it, i think i'll just keep it to one sub. maybe get a better one. i just have a JL 10W1 or 10W1v2 (anybody know if the 10W1v2's have a silver face, or or they just black and white)

so in that case, how would you guys recommend me setting this up? just pull the soundtream and only use the infinity running the tweets off deck power?