Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old    eagle17            01-31-2006, 8:21 PM Reply   
Guys, I am a long time lurker, first time poster. This is my question, I have finally saved up a modest amouth of money to buy a boat. I would like a combo ski/wakeboard boat for myself and my buddies to just have a good time around the lake. A local here has a 1998 Malibu Sportster with tower, speakers, and about 300 hours for $14,500. I am just wondering if I may be able to find anything else that would be a better all around boat for that price. I know about the 2001 series natiques, but I am afraid of mechanical problems with a boat that old. Anyway, any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-31-2006, 10:09 PM Reply   
Ummmm Im thinking that doesnt sound like a bad deal on the BU if its in good shape. 300 hours is nothing. Depending on who you ask thats like 25-50 thousand miles on a car.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-31-2006, 10:44 PM Reply   
Thats a really good price assuming its in good condition. The sportster is a ski boat through and through, it has a low free board so it won't be able to handle a ton of weight but it can have the wedge added if it doesn't already have one so that will help the boarding wake. If you are looking to mainly wakeboard, and you plan on getting good then you will quickly outgrow the wake of the sportster. If you are looking for an amazing slalom skiing boat and a decent wakeboarding boat then this will be just fine for you.

A couple of questions, does it have the wedge, monsoon engine? Any other options like heater, shower, OB or CB, T/A vs. S/A trailer, etc, etc, etc...? The wedge IMO is a great thing to have so if it doesn't have one you should add it!

There are many people on www.themalibucrew.com who can help you out if you have specific questions about the sportster, I only know a little bit about that boat.
Old    eagle17            02-01-2006, 6:29 AM Reply   
Thanks for the help everyone. It comes with a single axle trailor, the 310 HP carb engine, and I think that is about it. Should I be worried about the carb on the engine? I am not a mechanic so I really just want to find a reliable boat to have fun with. I have probably only wakeboarded 5 times in my life, but would like to do it a lot more. This forum already has me looking to buy a new board! Anyway, thanks again!

Ryan
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       02-01-2006, 7:37 AM Reply   
Ryan,
The only thing I would worry about would be the size of the boat, it's little. It may not seem so until you have a few friends and their gear in it, you'll be climbing over each other and that gets old in a hurry. Not at all bashing the boat because I know they're nice, if it fits your needs than size doesn't matter, fun does !

Brian
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-01-2006, 7:51 AM Reply   
Daniel--I have a 2005 Ford F250 Diesel with 23,308 miles on it--the hour meter says 746 hrs. In my opinion, 300 hours on a boat is nothing---800 hours is nothing if it is well cared for and properly maintained.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-01-2006, 7:52 AM Reply   
The carb won't be a problem. They have been around a long time and are cheap and easy to fix when something goes wrong. They are right though about size. It is a small boat with very low freeboard. If you are buying for wake, you really won't be able to sink it with too much ballast. With a tower, your boards will be off the floor which is a major obstacle...don't worry about that. I have a Direct Drive boat and can tell you about 5-6 is the maximum you want in that boat and maybe only 4 comfortably.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-01-2006, 10:53 AM Reply   
I have a malibu response which is a little bigger then the sporster, but the same set up. If you are a hardcore wakeboarder, then it will not be your boat. But if you want a newer boat that you can pull skiers and wakeboarder for a decent price, then it sounds good. Good luck in your decision.