Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2006

Old    jaded_goddess            07-18-2006, 1:50 PM Reply   
alright i am very new to wake boarding...
i am pretty comfy on the board now.. and i'm ready to start learning some tricks...
what is the purpose of the added fins?? and do they benefit me in any way except to keep me straight? are there any down falls?
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       07-18-2006, 1:55 PM Reply   
Some boards are designed to only be ridden with fins. Some boards are designed to be able to be ridden with or without bolt on fins. The boards that can be ridden with or without will feel looser on the water without fins. It's simply a personal preference. Most advanced riders prefer a looser feel, but not all. This does not mean that you should just pull your fins off, what kind of board do you have?

-Steve
Old    jaded_goddess            07-18-2006, 2:11 PM Reply   
i have a liquid force diva 134.. it has the bolt on fin.. everyone ive been riding with is very inexperienced... so we're all kinda learning together... and man am i having a hard time finding other chicks into it in my area..

~elle
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-18-2006, 2:22 PM Reply   
LF Diva has mellow molded-in fins, so it'll probably be pretty loose without the center fin. Fins give you more traction, sometimes that's good, sometimes not. Fins will help edging in choppy water, can help you from sliding out on a bad landing, but since they make the board more "sticky", they can also prevent you from sliding out of trouble in some cases. There's no hard rule on fins: try finless and with different size fins till you find what works for you.

(Message edited by ak4life on July 18, 2006)
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-18-2006, 2:24 PM Reply   
you could think of fins as training wheels (I still got mine on!)..
Old    obsurfer            07-18-2006, 4:55 PM Reply   
no fins,no soul,no gouging carves,no thinkin when the hell are they gonna catch. Fins add the life to any watercraft!