Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 01, 2004

Old    wake2end            03-09-2004, 8:15 PM Reply   
What older boats have the best wakes? I was looking at a 1999 Calabria Sport Comp XTS, it has 500 pounds in the back right now, I would probably put more weight in. Do you guys have any more suggestions on what boats to recommend that throw a nice wake. I don't have much money, so just ski boats converted with weight are what I'm looking at. What throws the nicest wake with weight?
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-09-2004, 8:33 PM Reply   
im not sure what you are looking for? a 1999 is not new but not what i consider an old boat. if your looking at 99s buy an xstar or a san. older sport nautiques put out a sweet wake. hell old 2001 nautiques do too. big difference in price
Old    wake2end            03-09-2004, 8:37 PM Reply   
I just have the opportunity to get a good deal on a Calabria, do you think like the 89 Nautique 2001's throw a better wake? All I'm looking for is an affordable boat with a good wake, All i want is a good wake haha
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-10-2004, 10:33 AM Reply   
what you really want is a reliable boat because if its broke all the time you will be pissed all the time from being towed in or spending jack to fix it, or trying to get someone to fix it. Im not for or against either boat but from what ive read on here for the last few years(or so :-) ) people do have many problems with their boats and if your good with your hands and tools then you can make things go so much smother if something breaks. I think its funny when people complain about the small stuff, thats all part of boat ownership but the big things suc bad, although many can be prevented through preventive maintenance or thorough inspection of the boat before you decide on it.
Old    wake2end            03-10-2004, 2:45 PM Reply   
So what boat would you suggest, I've heard nautiques are like tanks
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-10-2004, 2:58 PM Reply   
Give us a budget that you would like to stick to and what features you are looking for. Then I am sure someone can point you in the right direction. Also make sure you demo the boats don't just take peoples word for it. You may have a differnt style or like a different shape wake.
Old    wake2end            03-10-2004, 3:11 PM Reply   
Budget around 15k, little more, little less. I like a steeper wake shape, just want a tower and possibly ballast, i could always put that in later, just want a tower.
Old     (blaize)      Join Date: May 2000       03-10-2004, 3:34 PM Reply   
Definitely look at a ski nautique 2001. Properly weighted, it has a wake that will rival any other boat out there (even a SAN). I'm sure you could find a well maintained '88 or '89 with low hours for under $11,000. You can use the rest of the money on a tower, stereo, etc.
I'll be heading out on mine this friday. Let me know if you want me to take some pics for ya.

Mike
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-10-2004, 7:37 PM Reply   
how many people will you regularly take, this is a very important thing especially with the 2001 as im sure it has no bow seating?? what type of water will you be riding in, if its rough alot you may want something with a deeper "V" and possibly a heavier boat too??
Old    wake2end            03-10-2004, 7:54 PM Reply   
Normally it would be 5-7 people, which is why I was hoping to look for an open bow. Back to what I asked before, does anyone have any opinions on Calabria's? Not the Cal-Air but the older ones? I have a chance to get a fairly good price on one
Old    blindsiderider            03-10-2004, 8:12 PM Reply   
We have that exact boat. About 400 hrs on it and no problems other then usual maintenance. We have no ballast so we weight with sacks.500lbs in back 400 each side of engine and 300 up front. 5 to 7 people is no problem.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-10-2004, 10:17 PM Reply   
Look for an early Sport Nautique or a Master Craft ProStar 205 from the early 90's. The 2001 Nautiques are great, but seating is an issue.
Old     (graphik)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-11-2004, 6:28 AM Reply   
RYAN... I'm the guy that has your answers... honest. Okay, first I had a little jet boat. It was okay, but then I had a lesson behind an old Nauti (1984) and thought 'I have to get one of these'. I found a 1993 Tige SLM COMP. I got a really good price on it, it runs sweet, the wake is steep, and with enough weight is pretty big. The Nautique, I still ride behind, and the wake is bigger and a little smoother than a comp boat will throw. The issue is that the comp boats has a shallow hull, where the old Nautiques have a deeper hull. The first year I had the Tige, I broke an accelerateion cable ($15 US) and blew an impeller, which should be changed every year or two anyway. The Nautique is old and has 700 hours on it. It's a great wake, but there is a lot of maintence time. If you can't fix it yourself, or live around the corner from a mechanic, I wouldn't do it. I lost three weeks waiting for the impeller, and it sucked bad being off the water.

You won't get a bigger wake than the old Nautique though. - Good luck
Old     (graphik)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-11-2004, 6:31 AM Reply   
oh.. back to the Calabria topic... sorry.
It's a comp boat, so with enough weight (i used 8 people, no open bow) it will throw a good wake. One you'll have a good time with. I've heard good things about the boats.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-11-2004, 1:50 PM Reply   
"I lost three weeks waiting for the impeller,"
why? order it, get it next day install your down 3 days max.
Old    wegotbikes            03-11-2004, 6:33 PM Reply   
I have a 1995 MC Prostar 205 and it is awesome for the money! Open bow, hold lots of people and a wake that is awesome! 1000# ballast and 5-7 people is all you will need with this boat to have huge wakes. I love mine so much I can't get rid of it. I would love a new boat, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-12-2004, 8:29 AM Reply   
I just bought a 89 mastercraft tristar open bow over the winter have not had it in the water anybody have any goods or bads about that boat,plus what is the wake like on one of them.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-17-2004, 4:09 PM Reply   
I just bought a 92 MC prostar 205. Even with no added weight the wake is pretty nice. I have one of the 1200# fat sac back seats to go with it, but haven't ridden with it filled up yet. It's got the open bow which is nice and it's a solid boat. I got mine for well under what you're wanting to pay w/ a tower and sweet system installed in it.

SFH