Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-12-2008, 9:14 AM Reply   
anyone know how or where to get a winch? used ones?
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-12-2008, 10:25 AM Reply   
build your own its soooooo much cheaper
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-12-2008, 10:56 AM Reply   
Checkout www.wakeboarding-winch.com for information on building a winch.

Here is a winch we built earlier this year. Our new winch probably cost us close to $2000.00 in materials and machine time. Probably the coolest thing about this winch (other than the looks) is that it weighs less than 100 lbs.

Features:

-Aluminum Frame
-6.5 HP Honda Racing Go Cart Engine w/ 9 HP Racing Mod
-disengaging spool
-detachable hitch mount
-Hydraulic Disk Brake

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Thanks,

Ken Land
Bullet Lines
www.bulletlines.com
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-12-2008, 12:28 PM Reply   
I love that winch it F-ing sick . . . I've got between $600-$700 in my winch I almost bought a winch from released but I thought it would be fun to build my own. Mine definitely isn't as pretty though :-)
Old     (tigerules)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-12-2008, 12:57 PM Reply   
That winch is really cool, however doesn't the winch just slide across the ground when rider pulls on the line?

I am trying to figure out how to build a winch so that I can transport it in my boat back to the cove. The cove is a no wake area and stays glass all day long. At around noon at our local lake the water is so choppy its almost unrideable. With the winch I could anchor the boat and skate all afternoon until the water is good again. Any ideas?
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-12-2008, 1:00 PM Reply   
cinch it down to a tree.
Old     (tigerules)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-12-2008, 1:18 PM Reply   
We don't have trees around the lake, except really, really small ones. I was thinking about using a Pulpall, but that's a lot of crap in the boat...
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-12-2008, 1:32 PM Reply   
Bill, why dont you make a seperate trip and poor a concrete base for it? If you are going to use it a lot you could setup a "tow site" and just deal with the winch for the remainder of the summer.
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-12-2008, 1:34 PM Reply   
I have a buddy who makes them. www.winchpro.com
Old     (tigerules)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-12-2008, 1:37 PM Reply   
The lake is in the National Forest, at least I think it is. Good idea though. I might be able to use a rock or something. Ideally I would like to do the winch set up at the back of the lake. In addition to the winch I am trying to make it so I can choose what I want the engine to power, the winch or a large water pump so we can build a huge slip-n-slide thing. Basically a big beach party thingy...
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-12-2008, 2:15 PM Reply   
We built one, 13hp engine. Also use it to pull sleds and tubes in the winter across a man made snow jump. It rocks. check out these links.

http://teamidiots.net/party/Videos/2008/January20th2008NightWinching.wmv

http://teamidiots.net/party/Videos/2008/WinchingJanuary27th2008.wmv
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-12-2008, 3:07 PM Reply   
You can use the 4 wheel driver's recovery trick of staking it to the ground if you have no trees around. Put in one stake, tie the rope tight, put another one in behind it, tie them together tight, I'm pretty sure you can use the same rope or a different one. Use as many as you think you need, usually a 2 ton truck will only take 4 or 5 so you should be all good with 2 or 3. Just gotta make sure there is no slack between the stakes or they will only work individually instead of "as a team".

I'm looking at either buying or building one too, they look like a lot of fun and we've had 2 months of autumn glass and no boat so I'm itching to ride. A mate of mine just got a job as a liftie on the ski fields for the winter so I might take it up the mountain with me too.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-12-2008, 3:09 PM Reply   
Ken your winch is mean, I wish I had one like it.
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-12-2008, 3:09 PM Reply   
Bill,

We use our winch on the beach and in locations that we can back our truck right into: this is what the detachable truck hitch mount is for.. If I did not have access to a truck hitch, I would tie it down with heavy duty tent stakes, or tie it to a tree..

Bill: you need a tower mountable winch. I'm in the process of making a tower mountable winch just for our weekend lake excursions. I should have it done by the end of July.

Ken Land
Bullet Lines
www.bulletlines.com
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-12-2008, 3:27 PM Reply   
Ken, we need a bullet line for ours. Where can I get a 1000ft'er for the best price?
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-12-2008, 5:57 PM Reply   
That winching on snow stuff was pretty cool. I like your team motto too haha, awesome.

(Message edited by jtnz on June 12, 2008)