Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 22, 2006

Old    pigmoder            04-27-2006, 12:38 PM Reply   
Hi all, I keep reading about people removing or riding boards without center fin. The biggest reason for this (from what i have read) is to get better release of the top of the wake for spins. This is very confusing to me as I was always taught to wait until you get airborn before initiating a spin. I ride an absolute and always leave the center fin in. I can land 360's and 540's and the center fin does not restrict me from doing powerslides. I guess i just cannot see any advantage to removing the center fin. Any ideas? I mostly hear pro's say they don't like center fin because it does not let the board release off the top of the wake. I am just not sure why you would ever want the board to come off track before you are in the air.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-27-2006, 12:42 PM Reply   
In most cases the board, whatever board, was designed to be ridden finless. A center fin was added as an afterthought to make it marketable to less experienced riders.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-27-2006, 12:53 PM Reply   
Well pull it off a take a couple sets with it out and see what you think. All riders are different. Just cause the Pros like it, dosent mean you will.
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-27-2006, 12:55 PM Reply   
sliders = no fin.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-27-2006, 1:21 PM Reply   
Ror me, the board rides significantly faster without it. Also, on more advanced spins a lot of the time you are basically starting your spin off the top of the wake rather than after you've already popped (purely from what others have told me as I've never spun past a 5).
Old    pigmoder            04-27-2006, 2:02 PM Reply   
Thanks folks. I know it's one of those "do what is right for you" type things. Whenever I read info regarding boards that lack center fin it will always state "releases better off the wake". I guess as C.I.E pointed out, If your trying 720's or bigger maybe you do have to initiate before leaving the wake. I only tried riding without it for a few runs. I didn't like the feel on toeside cuts up the wake. I will have to try it agin this season to see if I notice a little speed increase. That is one thing I feel is lacking on my 2004 absolute (compared to my old cont. rocker board). Damn I wish we had a place in Southern MA that let you demo boards :-) Thanks for your posts. I cannot wait to get out and ride.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-27-2006, 2:38 PM Reply   
I always thought finless made the board ride slower. Basically the fin gives you a little extra forward drive giving you more speed. I ride my 06 Absolute finless and love the feel, it is too grippy with the fin. Finless lets you cheat off the top and really all it does is releases sooner and easier. I rode my 04 absolute with the fin and preferred it that way, the newer shape has longer/deeper molded fins. Try it out, personally I'd never ride with a center fin again.