Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old    shakkabra            05-18-2004, 12:00 PM Reply   
Im a new boat owner. My impeller went out on a 350 mercruiser. Is it hard to fix. If not can someone tell me where its at and how to change it.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-18-2004, 12:37 PM Reply   
DD or V-Drive? Brand? Lots of impeller answers if you do a search.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-18-2004, 3:21 PM Reply   
No it it not hard, just tedious the first time. Block out about 2 hours. The second time it will take about 30 minutes or so.
Old    shakkabra            05-18-2004, 3:38 PM Reply   
D-drive
Old    rainrider            05-20-2004, 1:59 PM Reply   
How did it go out? I just burnt mine out on my malibu by running it dry. Motor was smokin hot when we put it in the water!!!! NEW GUY!!!!
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-24-2004, 2:30 PM Reply   
Derrik:

Open up/take off any engine covers, get access as low as possible to the engine. Now sit/kneel in the drivers seat and look at the engine.

The very lowest part of the engine, dead center is the main crankshaft pulley. There will be at least one and possibly up to three belts that this pulley drives. One or more of the belts will drive the water circulation pump (not the pump you are looking for), which should be directly above the crankshaft pulley. One belt should drive the alternator, which is typically mounted up higher on the engine. The raw water pump is driven off a belt and should be mounted low. It should be easily identified by the large water hoses that connect to it.

You may want to remove the pump completly and work on it on the bench. If your access is reasonable, however, you can often change the impeller with the pump still in the boat.

Look at the backside of the pump and see if there is a circle of small screws/bolts holding a cover plate on. If you can get to these, remove the screws and the cover. The impeller will be just inside. You will need to reach in with a pair of needle nose pliers, grab what is left of your impeller and pull it out. Most of the time it is as easy as that, but sometimes they don't want to come and you have to work at it some.

It is important to account for all the pieces of the impeller. If vanes are broken off and missing, then they went into the engine and it is possible that they could lodge in a place that would block the water flow. The thermostat is a common wedge point.

To reassemble, coat the vanes of the new impeller with a little bit of grease (I use a white lithium grease, not nearly as messy as wheel bearing grease. I have also used engine oil off the dipstick since I don't carry the can of grease with me....). You will have to flex the vanes of the impeller in order to get it into the pump housing. To do this, rotate the impeller as you push it into the hole. IMPORTANT: rotate the impeller the direction that it will turn when the engine is running!

As you twist the impeller it should slide into the hole and onto the shaft. As you contine to twist and push the key in the shaft should engage the slot in the impeller hub. If the pump is still installed and the belt on you won't be able to twist anymore, so just push it straight in.

Put the new gasket on the cover plate, fasten with all the screws and you are done.

TIP: Get a second impeller and carry it with you. Next time this happens you can fix it on the spot and not lose a day of riding!
Old    g3revenge            05-24-2004, 5:23 PM Reply   
spit on it or spray it with lube for the first start on a new one.

http://www.globerubber.com