Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 01, 2004

Old    hyperlitemike            04-08-2004, 8:31 PM Reply   
when i was playing basketball the other day i landed wrong and busted up my ankle. and the week after easter i am going out on a houseboat for the week and i was wondering of something that i could do to support my ankle when i am riding
Old     (azsufer)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-08-2004, 8:53 PM Reply   
ICE THAT
AIR SPLINT
LOTS OF BOOZE....
IBPROUFEN
IF ALL ELSE FAILS YOU CAN WAKESURF FOR THAT WEEK
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-09-2004, 4:01 PM Reply   
Athletic tape just a whole bunch of it. Used to work for me when I tore up my ankles fighting bulls.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-10-2004, 2:24 AM Reply   
Duct Tape, nothing better!
If you really want to wakeboard, do what I did (though I shouldn't of gone wakeboarding, just made it worse) Duct Tape up your ankle, get a rubber sock (like the white water rafters use) losts of lube and you'll get into your bindings.
I'd just stick with wakeskating and wakesurfing if I were you.
Duct Tape is a dream for this stuff.
Remember do not ice for more then 20 min at a time.
Old    hyperlitemike            04-10-2004, 11:30 AM Reply   
Thanks for the suggestions i will try them what happens if u ice for more than 20 minuetes
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-10-2004, 12:15 PM Reply   
Ligaments take to ice and heat very easily, so icing for too long can cause a worse effect, in a sense freezing them. Thats how my doctor explained it to me, I never knew it before.
Old     (dkmode34)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-11-2004, 11:26 AM Reply   
the best thing to heal it would be to stick it in a bucket of ice water for TEN minutes and then put it in a warm/hot bath for ten minutes. iff u do that a lot it will heal up quick. keep it elevated when just chillin on the couch, and also if ur bored point ur toes forward when sitting down and make the alphabet with ur toes. trust me i did it last summer the exact same way . good luck
Old     (dkmode34)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-11-2004, 11:27 AM Reply   
also hottub are great for it after the whole ice bucket thing
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-12-2004, 5:04 PM Reply   
The 20 min rule also applies to heat. 20 min of heat / ice at a time MAX.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-12-2004, 5:10 PM Reply   
Theraband strengthening.

Your best bet is to do light exercises with your ankle to build up the muscles around the injury. Ice, then try to massage the swelling out of the injured area. I wouldn't use heat until the swelling goes down a litle. I did 7 days of straight therapy and was snowboarding a week later.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-12-2004, 5:11 PM Reply   
Of course if it hurts to even move your ankle, don't exercise it!