Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 01, 2007

Old     (calaman)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-02-2007, 12:37 AM Reply   
Hi All,
I'm ready to trade up and need help. First, I wanted to say my 98 Calabria xts (Cal-air) has been a very reliable boat. We've had many fun days on the water with family and friends and without a single "issue" some boats come with. I want to keep that trend going and step up to Vdive for more room, yet still park in the garage.
I've been looking at the sanger v215 and think it's a solid choice. The boat looks to be low profile, which reminds me of the one thing I didn't like about the calabria - the nose subs when one or two people are sitting in the bow. Does this happen on the v215?
Supra v21 owners - I don't see many comments about the Launch 21v, what are your comments?
The enzo 216 is new for 2007 but seems to have a solid feel, albeit a bit on the cheap side compared to the VLX.
Cost for these boats have a small factor in my direction but it isn't the driving force. I also don't want to get ripped.
Sanger v215 47K
Enzo 216 - 52K
Malibu vlx - 55K
Supra Launch 21v 54K
Any feedback would be great. Thanks all!
PS - I'm in No. California
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-02-2007, 6:32 AM Reply   
21v-great all around boat, it is big for a 21' and it will just barely fit in a 'standard' sized 7' door. Plenty of room for people and stuff, we regularly take 6-10 people and have plenty of room for bags and coolers. My friends, wife, and I have yet to dip the nose, and we've been in some rough water. The wake is great and well documented here.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-02-2007, 6:50 AM Reply   
Great boat choices. I chime in another vote for the 21V. There are a lot of 21V owners on this board and there are a ton of comments so search around and you will find some stuff. Check them all out and make sure you have a good dealer. Go with the boat you like the best that also has a very reputable dealer. Good luck!
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-02-2007, 7:47 AM Reply   
For $1k more I would go VLX. I have an 06' and couldn't be happier. I have a friend with an 05' 21V so I've spent some time on it as well. Both are great boats but also very different. The reasons I went Bu over the 21V was handling, the 21V is a heavy feeling boat. The wake on the VLX IMO is a notch better and the Bu should also have a better resale. The Supra handles rough water better and also seems to have more storage.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-02-2007, 8:01 AM Reply   
I'll throw vote #3 for the Supra 21V. Try and do a search and you'll come up with tons of threads with pictures and information on the boat, wake, performance, etc.

Sounds like you need to get out and experience the boats in your list to narrow down your choices.
Old    ausbill32            04-02-2007, 8:06 AM Reply   
I throw vote #4 for my 2006 Supra 21v. I've got 128 hours on it now and I haven't had a single problem with it other than the stereo. Wake is awesome, plenty of seating and storage. It's just a great all around boat.
Old     (sean21v)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-02-2007, 8:18 AM Reply   
Couldnt be happier with my 21V
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-02-2007, 8:20 AM Reply   
My opinion:

1. Malibu-best wake
2. Supra-great boat, cool new ideas
3. Sanger-best built of all three boats and great in rough water-not as much bling factor
4. Calabria (I know it was not in your list but it should be). A great boat at a great price-good wake the most bang for the buck/service at Larson has been very good!!
5. Enzo-decent boat but feels kind of cheap in the quality.

(Message edited by tomcalabria on April 02, 2007)
Old     (hfpesko)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-02-2007, 10:02 AM Reply   
Go with the Bu! Super nice wake!!! And in the grand sceme of things, what is 1K??? Go with the VLX and you wont be disappointed!
Old    mendo247            04-02-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
if money wasnt at question id go with the malibu simply based on resale value, bling, wake and quality... however i dont think that the wake on that boat is going to be much better than the rest.. for what its worth i looked at the same boats and ended up with a V215 mainly because the price was 10k less than the rest and it had everything i needed, that being said i woud have loved to gotten the VLX but couldnt justify the money.. i dont have one single complaint about my V215 i love the large interior space where everyone can stretch out.. the malibus ive been in seem to require a bit more gas to run than the sanger, the nose on the sangers do ride a little low when weighted but i think you will find that with most all wake boats if you have them weighted and your not paying attention you will submerge the nose.. all these boats will put a big smile on your face just kinda depends how much you want to spend..

are those prices out the door??
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-02-2007, 12:57 PM Reply   
also depends on type of wake you like... supra will have a much steeper wake than the malibu will have....
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-02-2007, 1:56 PM Reply   
I could not disagree with this statement any more!

"5. Enzo-decent boat but feels kind of cheap in the quality."

IMHO

(Message edited by krbaugh on April 02, 2007)
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-02-2007, 2:08 PM Reply   
my new 216Upload
Upload
Upload
Interior shots
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-02-2007, 2:44 PM Reply   
Look at the replies, it is so subjective (owners goggles) it's not even worth asking. You should look, sit in, and drive as many of them as possible and make up your own mind. If you notice everyone suggested their own brand is superior for whatever reason in their reply, you're gonna get that everytime with a question like this. The only non-biased opinion your gonna get is the one you will form by yourself.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-02-2007, 2:52 PM Reply   
There is of course a lot of truth to what you say.
Lance has a excellent list of boat choices and would most likely be happy with any boat on the list! I would have to factor in the proximity and quality of the dealer
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-02-2007, 3:00 PM Reply   
the two statements above are 100% correct and that is what I try to convey on any of my messages on these types of posts...
Old    mendo247            04-02-2007, 3:06 PM Reply   

quote:

Look at the replies, it is so subjective (owners goggles) it's not even worth asking.

as i stated...

quote:

if money wasnt at question id go with the malibu simply based on resale value, bling, wake and quality...

quote:

that being said i woud have loved to gotten the VLX but couldnt justify the money..

then i proceded to let him know why I went with the sanger.. sorry if i had "owner goggles"
Old     (cawakeboarder12)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-02-2007, 4:15 PM Reply   
VLX ALL THE WAY
Old     (longgonebon)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-02-2007, 4:31 PM Reply   
I looked at most of these boats and bought an MB B-52. My second choice would have been the BU but it didn't fit in my garage with the wedge and wake is too small without it.
Old     (deltadave)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-02-2007, 4:58 PM Reply   
I know everyone has their strong opinions. But I figured I might as well throw in one more idea. Have you looked at the Tige 22v?
Old    bocephus            04-02-2007, 5:03 PM Reply   
You work out a lot of things and learn a lot of lessons when you have been building boats since 1954. Sanger all the way!
Old     (mnwake476)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-02-2007, 5:53 PM Reply   
i've ridden behind both a vlx and a 21v. the 21v had a nicer ride but i found the vlx to be nicer in other areas. the supra wake was very steep and was hard to keep clean.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-02-2007, 6:20 PM Reply   
As a BU owner, I like the Supra 21V if I wasn't riding a BU. The wake on the 21V is also my second favorite. Sanger seems to be an excellent boat for the value, just don't see many out this way.
Old     (calaman)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-02-2007, 7:38 PM Reply   
Hi All..
Wow, my post is less than a day old and so plus replies! I've been a boat owner for 11 years and wish I went searching for information before yesterday. Thanks to all!

Lot's of good comments which I will factor into my final choice. I've been looking for some time now and one thing I forgot to mention on my first post is I'm looking for a boat which can handle 11 - 13 people, yet still get into my garage. It's not the number one (wake, performance, build) are also up there.
I'm glad I've got a good list, thanks for validating I'm on the right track! It looks like the launch 21v, VLX, V215 are the leaders based on initial feedback.
Kevin, sweet Enzo! I really like that boat and I'm sure it is one of the best (that is why it's on my list). The local dealer here had the Enzo216 and the VLX side by side (nice treat). When looking at them out of the water, the VLX leaped ahead in fit and finish. I liked some of the features and bling the 216 had so it's not a bad choice by any means.
Tom, I too bought my Calabria from Larson Marine. Good service department but the aftermarket stereo/amp/sub/tower that I had installed needed tweaking (I'm still waiting on the matching carpet on the sub). It wasn't complete, nor was it a clean install. Beware, they still use the same speaker installers so look out if you want some mods on your sweet looking Pro v. Don't let them hack your baby! The ProV2 was a consideration on paper and since I had great luck with my Cal-air, it was considered, however, I'm not leaning that way simply because of resale value. Thanks for the post and comments, I would have put the Pro V2 number 5 on your list above, but it's with good company!
On the price front - I do need to get my act together and confirm all of the options to determine what comes with what, just to be sure I'm not getting a bait and switch job. I don't really care about the onboard tunes because I plan on adding a few watts (and batteries) before summer hits.
I guess I'm leaning on cutting down the list from 4/5 to 3. I'll be going to setup some demo rides so I can figure out which one best suits me.
I don't have the mastercraft on my list. I have 6 friends who have had mastercraft boats, different models 2001 - 2006 and every one of them had electrical problems and two of them needed engine swaps (less than 50 hours). I'm sure they are good boats, please don't bash, but since nobody mentioned MC, others may have similar experiences. On the MB front - great boats, but wow - their steering is so dang stiff. I drove a couple of B52's and didn't like them much.
Thanks again to each of you for your comments and keep them coming as I'll be a few weeks away from the demo runs. I'll update everyone once I'm close.
cheers,
lance
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-02-2007, 7:53 PM Reply   
Good comments Lance My only other recommendation Crawl around the guts of all the boats see how wires are run, components are mounted, and things are put together. Talk to the dealers about how the boats are constructed

Good luck! with the list you have you will end up with a great boat.
Old    DRA            04-02-2007, 8:13 PM Reply   
I can tell you the V215 does not come close to dipping the nose like the Calabria does. It is a problem with that boat (IMO). The V215 is very solid and has a hell of a wake.
Supra Steps up in the wake department and has more bling than the Malibu. Today I played with the 22SSV and the wake was phenomenal in more ways than one. Very large and rampy with lots of adjustment with the wake plate. The ballast weight with the gravity games bags is all it needs (but the 1500 lb of extra led in the future will be nice.). The 21V is a awesome boat we used it for all our events last year and never had a complaint about wake size or shape. We never added any extra weight either. Supra's new smart plate takes all the driving hassles to an all time low and now you will even trust your wife to pull you without getting you into a potential divorce.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-03-2007, 1:45 AM Reply   
Gary, how does the 22SSV wake compare to a weighted up V215? Both boats are on my wish list....
Old    DRA            04-03-2007, 7:35 AM Reply   
The 22SSV is a larger wake with more lip at the top. The 215 has a smoother transition than the 22SSV but moving the plate down does smooth out the transition but in relation you loose some of the lip. I would say the 22SSV is a super sized V210 wake with 2000 lb of ballast. Supra in their advertising has a line "leave a wake wherever you go." and that is truley what it does.
You can't go wrong with either boat and Sanger stands out for quality built with consumer pricing, everything you need for quality wake and performance. Supra has stepped up big time this year and fit and finish with the Smart plate technology has kicked the door down on the big 3. With their price drastically less than the big 3 I think the term has to change to the Big 4.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-03-2007, 2:04 PM Reply   
Thanks Gary, good info.
Old     (tmobe)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-04-2007, 1:52 PM Reply   
From your list, my vote is for the Supra, then Malibu. Personally if you are looking at Supra you should at least look at the Moomba LSV.

(Message edited by tmobe on April 04, 2007)
Old     (calaman)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-04-2007, 5:59 PM Reply   
Hey Todd, how is the wake on the Moomba LSV? Do you have to load up on the driver side to control the wash, or is it a balanced wake overall?

Nice looking ride...
Old     (tmobe)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-04-2007, 11:16 PM Reply   
The LSV has a GREAT wake! Balanced, "steep, and plenty meaty" quote taken from 2007 boat buyers guide wakeboarding mag. Great pop and the more you weight it the better it gets. They did a great thing when the changed the hull in 06. Check out the wake to wake compare. I had the chance to test both the XLV and LSV. Dumped them both and AWESOME! LSV had better shape but XLV was even more steep. I needed more room too. LSV coast gaurd is 13 and XLV is 16.

Check out this thread http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/429503.html?1175556793
Old     (calaman)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-08-2007, 12:22 AM Reply   
Hello all,
Made the choice - Supra 21v is the one. Solid boat, good dealer and it fits what we want. The only two questions I have now is which motor & prop.
21V owners - what are your thoughts on the 325 vs. 340? Does the 325 have a hard time out of the hole with a full boat/ballast? I'm sure I'll be wanting to pull a skier as well, so if I go with the 325 and wake prop will I be sorry (skier in need of a snorkel)? Does anyone run the 340 with the standard 4 blade...and if so.. are you happy with it?

Thanks to all for the input.
Anyone looking for a 98 Calabria Cal-air? I have one for sale....(boss tower, Bimini, 350 MPI, depth finder, heater, hot shower, sub, amp, 2 batteries, 140 hours)
Old     (lowdrag)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-08-2007, 4:46 AM Reply   
Definitely opt for the wakeboard prop with whatever engine you choose. For the money it's probably the best option you can get on the boat. I've got the 325 with the wakeboard prop and it has no problems getting out of the hole with full ballast. Personally, at least for this year and probably next year as well, I'd take the 325 over the 340. This is the first year that Indmar is using the catalytic converters on the 340. I'm not all that convinced yet that there won't be some problems with them and would want to wait and see how it works out before I'd go that route.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-08-2007, 7:12 PM Reply   
Bill,
I have had 2 21V's and run the 325 and wakeboard prop. We run 2300 lbs of ballast and no problem. The wakeboard prop is a must. Many others run the 340 in that boat, so either would be a good choice. If you are at any elevation I would opt to the 340. I guess what I am saying is you can't go wrong either way... Congrats and show us pics....
Old     (tmobe)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-08-2007, 10:24 PM Reply   
I tested the 325 and the 340. I ended up getting the 340 for personal reasons. I will tell you that they are both great! It is mostly about the prop. The 325 I tested I weighted down with about 4000 lbs of water and 5 guys. The 14.25 x 14 was in it and it RIPPED out of the hole. I also tested the stock 13.7 X 17.5 and it was a pig unless empty. Prop...Prop...Prop. Good luck and CONGRATS!!!! Look forward to seeing the pics.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-08-2007, 11:12 PM Reply   
lance, sent you a p.m. let me know if you got it. give me a call.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-08-2007, 11:18 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/402863.html?1173724255
Old     (lfshane132)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-09-2007, 7:08 AM Reply   
i would say vlx or 21v both have nice wakes interior is nice in both too if u want a boat thats really nice and top of line get the vlx silver edition ask your dealer about it theyr sweet
Old    ausbill32            04-09-2007, 8:52 AM Reply   
I have a 2006 21v with the 325 & wakeboard prop and I haven't had any problems getting out of the water loaded down and 12 people in the boat. I say you might as well get the 340. A little extra power never hurts.