Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-04-2009, 2:18 AM Reply   
Once again I am strongly considering adding an adjustable plate to my Sanger trying to achieve 3 things:
Quicker plane/lower running costs
Smaller wake for wife & son
Eliminate porpoise at 40+

If I do it I would make a "smart" interface to position the plate like the supra system, down for holeshot up for riding. I've got my head around the electronics to make it work but looking for feedback on how effective the system is on the Supra's.

Does anybody have a handle on what running cost savings can be had with smart positioning of the plate? I suppose if you had a 06 21V and then upgraded to a 07+21V you could get a idea for how much more efficient it is. Diggs??

Anybody have any real world experience with the system and can give me some feedback?
Old    pdxWAKE.com            05-04-2009, 6:43 AM Reply   
I think a lot of it depends on the hull and if it is designed for it. I am by no means an expert in fluid dynamics, but I would imagine it will still give you a different ride to some extent.
It certainly helps drop the bow when you are looking for hole shot and certainly helps keep the bow low when you are running through choppy water and helps cut through it. The Sanger probably does not have as deep of a V Hull as a 21V has, so I am not sure the second benefit would help you as much, but probably still some. It will certainly help you tune to boat to eliminate porpoising though I would think. I certainly love the wake plate on a Supra, just not sure how it would work on another hull.

As to your second question the difference between the 06 and 07 just made it nice and brainless since you didn't have to manually put down the plate and then pull it up. It was all automatic based on speed. It was great when you had someone else driving cause there was no need to explain it all to them. That sure was a nice difference with the 08'.
Would be interested in hearing how it all works out on a differnt hull and I am sure others would as well.....
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-05-2009, 5:13 PM Reply   
210 Ralph...lol!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-05-2009, 6:26 PM Reply   
Oh you are so right, if I wanted a smaller wake I could just get a SAN210! Hahahaa

Thanks Diggs.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-05-2009, 9:49 PM Reply   
Darren, a 350 hp engine at full throttle would get, at best, 24 gallons per hour, or .4 US gallons per minute. If the boat planes loaded 5 seconds faster because of the plate setting you would save a minute of full throttle every 12 starts, or a gallon of fuel every 30 starts.
The boat gets significant fuel savings at slow cruise (unloaded at 24mph) with the plate down also.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-05-2009, 10:43 PM Reply   
Darren,
I've got a Sanger V210 and I’ve got a bennet trim plate on it and It does everything you just described and more.

I primarily use it for two things.
1-Girls that are wakeboarding. I'm still using manual fac sacs so if I’ve got 1500lbs of ballast in the boat I don’t want to drain and fill every time a girl wants to ride. Most of them are intimidated by the wake when the plate is in the down position. Move it up and it really mellows it out without having to drain the sacs.

As for cruising it will eliminate the proposing completely.

You can also play with it for wake surfing to figure out which wave you like as well. ( added bonus)

The only thing i wish mine had was a meter to know how far up and down its..Mine is just a switch on the dash labeled up and down. A smart plate would be sweet! If you figure out how to improve on the functionality from an automation standpoint please let me know.
Old     (smith86)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-06-2009, 5:04 AM Reply   
Smart Plate is awesome. i have it on my 08 22ssv.
basically like what everyone else said great for the hole shot. great for wake adjustment for anytype of riding or rider. I didnt have it on my 05 24ssv and even though were talking 2 different length boats its def a gas saver when it comes to a fully loaded boat with lengthy ride time.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-06-2009, 1:06 PM Reply   
Nate that sounds promising. Would you be able to take some photos of the tab installation?

Thanks for all the feedback, I'm feeling encouraged.
Old     (bfnaci)      Join Date: Dec 2008       05-06-2009, 8:01 PM Reply   
Darren
I can tell you that I love the Skiers Choice wake plates.
I have never had a wake board boat without one, so I cannot help you with a comparison.
I cannot imagine why every boat does not have one, with the exception of the Malibu and wedge...
When I drive other peoples boats I constantly see opportunities where a little tweak of the wake would be beneficial.
Post pics and opinion after you do it.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-06-2009, 8:07 PM Reply   
Nate, you have that backwards. Plate down all the way would produce a smaller wake. Plate up all the way would produce the biggest wake...
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-06-2009, 8:12 PM Reply   
Sparky, you're correct had it backwords on the keyboard.

Darren I will snap some pics on my phone tomorrow.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-06-2009, 8:41 PM Reply   
This is the plate on my 215.
Upload
The trim tab only goes down about 1/8" below horizontal and up about 1"
Old     (bfnaci)      Join Date: Dec 2008       05-07-2009, 8:06 PM Reply   
Guys
Actually your both slightly right and slightly wrong.
On my boat the wake does not get bigger or smaller with movement from the wake plate. It only changes the shape.
I'm sure all hull designs are a little diff.
When the plate is down (mine drops about 3 inches) the nose is also down and the wake is real round and the transition from trough to the lip is longer.
When the plate is up the nose is up and the wake is real peaked out and has a short steep transition. It's like hitting a wall that throws you straight up.
Most of the really good boarders seem to like it somewhere in the middle.
I love the surf exhaust...never seen that before running outside the hull. Cool
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-07-2009, 8:18 PM Reply   
Hmmm have ridden behind several Tige's with TAPS and the wake is most certainly smaller with plate down and bigger with plate up. Shape would change for sure but size was a huge difference...
Old     (bfnaci)      Join Date: Dec 2008       05-07-2009, 8:45 PM Reply   
Maybe its just the hull design
I'm in a Mobius LSV with about 2k in ballast
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-08-2009, 4:37 PM Reply   
Nate, would you be able to measure the size of your plate for me please? I presume the up to down movement is the same as Arts? When using your plate would you ever want it to go lower than yours currently does?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-18-2009, 3:49 PM Reply   
Ok, I think I have my head around the control circuit. The basic operation will a Auto/Manual button & a UP/Down button.
I will be able to set the lower position (plane up) and the upper position (ride) independent of Max possible up and max possible down by adjusting two trim pots. A third trim pot is used to adjust the speed at which the plate will move from lower position to upper position.

Not sure on what type of signal the output from the tab takes, going to get one now to have a play.
Upload
Old     (wackbag)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-18-2009, 11:06 PM Reply   
Regardless of the boat
plate down = bow down = smaller wake
plate up = bow up = larger wake

the more "shaping" you do the smaller your wake will get.

Personally I would like one to push the bow down in rough water. Not as a benefit to riding.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-19-2009, 1:25 AM Reply   
Ok change of plans, the Lectrotab actuator I have acquired has zero output. Seems they use a time function to infer a plate position with there gauges. No problem, we will redesign the controller to suit.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-19-2009, 7:33 AM Reply   
Darren, with mine, I get maximum speed (efficiency) at 42 with the plate up about 85% but at 30 I get maximum efficiency with the plate down about 90%. I always get maximum hole shot with the plate down 100%. Just for your information in case you make more changes.
It will be interesting to see what your project turns out like.