Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-19-2008, 9:53 AM Reply   
I have done some research on other websites but thought I would get the valued opinions of WW.

We are looking to get a new tow vehicle and have been looking at an 08 4x4 crew cab silverado. I have always had a Toyota but the current incentives on the Silverado seem to be great.

Has anyone bought one recently? If so, I would like to hear about your experience – were you able to get the rebates and 0% financing?

For anyone that has experience with the 5.3l active fuel management engine. Does it really save on gas (it will be driven on a daily basis in stop and go traffic)? I currently get about 15 mpg, will it at least get that?

Any other feedback about the truck would be great.
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-19-2008, 10:06 AM Reply   
Buddy has a 07 silvy with the new 5.3 and my mom and dad have an 08 hoe with the same motor. Both are pulling down 18-20 light on the highway right out of the box. Don't know if you'll see any improvement in the city over what you get now, but I got 14-15 in my '00 Z71 ECSB. They also have new suspension in the front IIRC. Either way they both ride like cars. I've got a 08 HD, but it has the same interior, which is MUCH better than my old one.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-19-2008, 10:57 AM Reply   
I've got an 07 CC. I average 18.3 MPG. The AFM works IF it is flat and you are easy on the pedal. If I try and keep the RPM under 1500 I can get 21-22 on the highway.
Old     (rodv)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-19-2008, 11:59 AM Reply   
I have a 07 new body style gmc 4x4 cc with the 6.0. I have a 6 inch lift with 33 inch tires. I do a lot of city driving and average 10.8. On the freeway I average 14-15. I am also using a superchip. The AFM is a joke in my opinion. If you are going 50 on the freeway, downwind and downgrade, then the afm will kick in and out. This was the case even before I put the lift on the vehicle. I notice a little difference in the HP with the superchip, but not much on the fuel economy. It does however make the shift points much more responsive. I hated that delay when shifting between gears with the sluggish shift points. Much more responsive now.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-19-2008, 12:44 PM Reply   
I have one with the 5.3 with the AFM. I love it! But, as mentioned above, its not going to stay in 4 cyl unless its flat and you can feather the throttle to keep it in that range. You lightest touch can shift you into 8 cyl quick. On the freeway when I'm cruising, I don't think I've ever seen it below 19 or 20 mpg. But it is pretty flat here in coastal Texas. I can't say much for the rebates, I bought mine at the end of the year and there wasn't much at the time. I've never been a chevy guy, but I do love this truck.
Old     (tripleup)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-19-2008, 7:43 PM Reply   
07 Z71, 20 inch rims and 33 inch tires. Get 16 mpgs and I am not impressed with the towing although it does get the job done. AFM is B**lsh**t.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-19-2008, 11:58 PM Reply   
I just saw on the news tonight that the 08 Silverado is one of the worst selling rigs around right now. Sales are down like 30%.

I test drove the Avalanche with the 5.3 AFM a few months ago. It was tough to keep it in 4cyl mode for sure. The slightest hill or touch of the gas pedal & it bumped up the 8cyl mode. I read on numerous web sites that the AFM only adds like 1 or 2 mpg at freeway speeds.

I ended up buying an 05 Av with the 5.3 & no AFM. It tows great, gets 15 mpg in town, and 18 or 19 on the freeway.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-20-2008, 6:35 AM Reply   
I have a 2008 Crew Cab Silverado. What everyone said about the AFM is correct. I dont think the Horsepower for towing is great but it does the job. I am also comparing that to my 2005 CC F-150 Lariat. The ride though is very smooth even when towing. Overall I really like the truck.

I get about 14-15 city and about 19-20 Highway. I got 1.9% on mine.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-20-2008, 9:04 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the feedback
Old     (jpuckett)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-20-2008, 11:39 AM Reply   
Ed,

Get you an 08 crew cab Siverado LTZ with the 6.0 liter option. It will pull anything you want. Also if you want another alternative is to try a Hybrid Tahoe. All the factory rep's in this area are driving them. Our service rep say's he is getting 23 to 24 average. Also they will tow anything you have. They have the 6.0 liter also.