Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (johndoe30o)      Join Date: May 2006       07-07-2006, 9:20 AM Reply   
If you were buying a new boat, and you wanted a stereo would you upgrade to the stereo that you can order with the boat or would buy an after market stereo,

Or in other words do the stereos that you can buy with the boat sound good or would I be better off with an after market stereo. Thanks for the help
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       07-07-2006, 11:38 AM Reply   
aftermarket. Especially if you decent sound and quality equip.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-07-2006, 11:48 AM Reply   
The actual stereo (head unit) will not make a great deal of difference. If you want to upgrade you should consider an amplifier and better speakers. Do some checking for local talent, but your best money is probably spent at your local high-end car/boat stereo shop.

Where are you located?

www.soundillusionsaudio.com
Old    bigrich            07-07-2006, 12:52 PM Reply   
The stereo system that came with my new Sanger sounds awesome. Downfall after spending 4k on it was that the head unit was a base model Sony and would not even play a CDR. So if you are going to have an aftermarket install on a new boat make sure you know what you are getting. I ended up buying another Sony head unit that was CDR and I-pod ready. About 200 bucks but I didnt ecpect that after spending that much money on stereo. Lesson learned.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       07-07-2006, 3:11 PM Reply   
Generally you will pay more for factory installed equipment.
You can buy much nicer equipment for about what you would pay for factory installed stuff..
And you can pick the options you want ie: I-pod ready and MP3 etc...

Some manufacturers are putting in good quality equipment. So find out what the options are and do some research.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-07-2006, 6:06 PM Reply   
My first reaction is aftermarket because the install is relatively easy and as Ryan mentioned, you will pay much higher dollars for factory installed equipment.

I would also consider where you will be storing the boat (indoor vs. outdoor)and if that will determine the level of quality of your equipment.
Old    smooth_worm            07-07-2006, 8:09 PM Reply   
Mikeski... The head unit can make a HUGE difference. Compare a high quality Alpine unit to a sony or something that you can buy at walmart and you will hear the difference. It's night and day. There's also a lot of feature you will get with a higher end HU that will allow you to tweak the sound to make it optimal in a boat environment. Also cheaper HU won't have 3 sets of preouts, which IMO are essential and you can't do without a dedicated sub preout.
Old     (usarmyttt)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2006, 8:12 PM Reply   
Put it in yourself.