Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (toneus)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-27-2007, 10:41 AM Reply   
Another thread got me thinking about this. We were out on lake Lanier this last weekend. Since it was one of the first hot days, everybody and their brother was out on the lake. So it wasn't long before the water was pretty choppy in the middle. I'd run the shoreline, but the shallows are everywhere.

My ride is a Sanger V230, one of the larger Deep-V hulls out there, but it's no cabin cruiser. I do try to take it easy on my boat and equipment, and I'm more than happy to follow another boat in heavy chop and let them do the ice breaking. I'm just not a fan of needing a kidney belt to enjoy a day on the water.

I know that each situation is different, but I was wondering how others handle moderate to large chop. I'm asking about unorganized waves, not how to cross a wake.

Do you slow down significantly and plow methodically through wave after wave?

Or do you throw caution to the wind and light the afterburners skipping across the tops of the waves?

Just wondering.

-Toneus
Old     (alt_adjust)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-27-2007, 11:07 AM Reply   
Toneus, I was out on Lanier this past weekend too and it was pretty bad. I have to cross the main channel from Lazy Days over to the east side of the lake. I usually just run nice and slow around 20 or so until I get out of the channel, then let her rip. I am also not opposed to following another boat across too.
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-27-2007, 11:12 AM Reply   
when it's real choppy i just go 18-20 keeping the bow up and it stays dry and doesnt bang at all, it just sucks going so slow!
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-27-2007, 12:03 PM Reply   
My wakesetter cuts through the chop quite well when it's perfectly balanced. So I usually fill either the right or left ballast tank and have people reposition to balance the load. Other than that it's kind of play by ear.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-27-2007, 12:03 PM Reply   
Usually - Slow with a my drink in my hand.

In a rush - I mess around with the throttle with what is bareable...
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-27-2007, 12:13 PM Reply   
Slowly, there is nothing fun about riding through choppy water at warp speeds. Even when it is smooth I am at about 30 mph, never really in a big hurry.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-27-2007, 12:25 PM Reply   
I will very seldom try to adjust the throttle while driving because it's easier to get motion sickness if you have acceleration changes in addition to the bumps. Sometimes though, you just have to slow to pass multiple up rollers. Usually I steer to avoid the worst. Into a side wake then straighten after crossing. Usually bow up a little.
Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-27-2007, 12:49 PM Reply   
There is definately a threshold as to how fast before you start slapping the bow. On my malibu LSV its 17mph. At that speed it will keep the bow up and will just plow the waves with little to no bouncing. Find the speed right before the boat planes and thats a comfortable speed in my opinion.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-27-2007, 2:36 PM Reply   
Our X1 is great in the chop

Usually we just go about 15 to plow through the waves. It also helps to fill the center ballast bag. What really gets to me is the tower shaking around in the chop, especially when theres boards on it on our trip to the riding spot.

On glass you can't beat cruising at around 30.
Old     (midlifecrisis)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-27-2007, 3:36 PM Reply   
If someone is on your crew that you do not care for, have them sit up front. It's worth the laugh.
Old     (kylet)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-27-2007, 9:28 PM Reply   
our martinique glides right over the chop, it will break through pretty big waves, feels more like driving an offshore boat than a ski boat in big waves.

we were caught racing back to the marina as a storm blew up, the waves were rolling about 3ft and we motored into it and made it back no problem. a couple of times I thought a roller was going to break over the bow, but never did. kinda powered up them to keep the bow up.

just head straight into them and motor up the face.
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-28-2007, 2:55 PM Reply   
trimed out bout 1/5th at 5k rpm. I love that sudo race hull. Go baby scarb go!
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-28-2007, 3:12 PM Reply   
The Double O will "wave crush" with the best of 'em, but I cruise just fast enough to keep the hull from slapping off of the face of every next wave. I have no problem with put-puttin' or following the leader. I've been out with dudes that will just hammer down like there's no tomorrow. Stupid. I like my beer in it's container, not on my carpet.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-29-2007, 6:47 AM Reply   
I throw all the girls in front and give it hell!
Old     (lrbs_xstar)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-29-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
i live on lanier and it does get rough out in the middle but i usually go at the big waves at an angle an run about 20..but its hard to enjoy a ride in the channel on lanier when ur riding in a wakeboard boat period haha
Old     (lrbs_xstar)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-29-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
i live on lanier and it does get rough out in the middle but i usually go at the big waves at an angle an run about 20..but its hard to enjoy a ride in the channel on lanier when ur riding in a wakeboard boat period haha