Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old     (zigzagsd)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-17-2003, 9:16 PM Reply   
here's my best attempt to date. coaching, (constructive) criticism welcome. from what i can tell, i'm not holding my edge all the way thru the wake. i still get the full rotation.

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=7590
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-17-2003, 9:48 PM Reply   
John, that's awesome! It looks like you could have ridden away from that if you still had the handle! It's kind of mental, you try rolls for so long, that you expect to crash, then when you land one, the handle pops (it does jerk kind of hard) because you aren't expecting it.

3 things to work on:

1. Wait for the pop - you took off from the bottom of the wake. Be patient, wait about a half second longer to start the roll.

2. Stand tall - You did a pretty good job, just stand as tall as you can on take off.

3. Hold on to that handle when you land. You actually lean against the rope when you land a roll, it pulls really hard. Just think "I'm not gonna let go unless the board gets behind me".

Remember, how you take off is how you land (body position). I would put money on you landing the next one!
Old     (zigzagsd)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-18-2003, 1:03 PM Reply   
thanks for the tips, jeff. hopefully, i'll get to try it again this weekend.

apparently, the video can't be seen by everyone - i can't view it at work. does anyone know if there is something different i need to do with the file type, etc? i use roxio videowave 5. little help!?!
Old    mikep            06-18-2003, 1:20 PM Reply   
I can't view the video, but if you are losing the handle then keeping the handle in close to your lead hip all the way through the trick should help. The trick for me on back rolls is to stand tall and ride all the way through the wake before throwing the trick.
Old     (zigzagsd)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-20-2003, 11:10 PM Reply   
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=7627

okay, i tried something different with the vid. let me know if you can't view it.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-21-2003, 12:03 AM Reply   
Well if nothing else, the file is 1/4 the size! I usually convert files to Windows Media format (.wmv) because the file size is relatively small with good quality. For reviewing tricks it's nice to use slow motion. Another format that is good for tricks is QuickTime since you can use the slide bar to look at specific frames.

Here is the frame capture just as you leave the wake and you can see that you are leaning too far back and not standing tall.

frame capture

And here is your landing, with your head down and your arms extended.

another frame
Old     (zigzagsd)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-21-2003, 8:54 AM Reply   
thanks bill. looks a lot better in real time! i'll have to see if i can do the .wmv format. does that work for longer videos too? i'm going to try and put together enough clips for one song.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-21-2003, 9:00 AM Reply   
John it looks like you are not waiting for the wake to throw you. You came into the wake on edge but then dropped your shoulders to initiate the flip. If you wait for the push of the wake, keep the handle in and roll just like you are doing in the video, it SHOULD help you. You're almost there! Good luck!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-21-2003, 9:13 AM Reply   
Something I noticed, is you are not cutting all the way up the wake. when you get to the wash cut harder and stand tall. this trick is 90% in the cut IMHO. if you have a good cut, you can do a lot of other things wrong and still make this trick.
Old     (zigzagsd)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-21-2003, 10:06 AM Reply   
brian, this was behind aki's boat a couple of weeks ago. i've never ridden a wake that big. it was pretty awesome, but definitely takes some getting used to.