Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-19-2003, 7:24 PM Reply   
Can you put these on I/O? probley a dumb question but ohwell.

thnx
Chris
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-19-2003, 7:42 PM Reply   
Um, well, gosh...

I guess my first question would be where?

With an outdrive it might be tough to mount it.

wedgemount
Old    steveaz            02-19-2003, 8:30 PM Reply   
Jason, what's that cable for?
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-19-2003, 9:53 PM Reply   
My boat had the old style Wedge with the pin that was used to lock it in place. The cables are the left over tethers used to secure the rod and cotter pin.

Wedge Mod.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-19-2003, 10:15 PM Reply   
Yea i dont know where is would go. Please any advice would help
thnx
Old    gotglass            02-19-2003, 10:40 PM Reply   
anyone know if you could mount a wedge on a mide to late 80's Malibu skier? I wouldnt think so, cuz it seems like maybe where that thing is mounted is a bit stronger then what the older boats could handle, but if anyone knows for sure I would be interested.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       02-20-2003, 12:37 AM Reply   
Chris,

Short answer, No. Good news though, if you trim the boat 1/2 way, you will get a similar effect as the wedge. Also, I used a four winns for a while. If you use ballast, all of it should go in the front of the boat. 800# up front gives you decent planing and a decent wake.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-20-2003, 10:57 AM Reply   
Cool Thnx troy!
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-20-2003, 11:29 AM Reply   
Chris,

I have also seen people put various types of "wings" on the cavitation plates of their outdrives which can sometimes dramatically increase the wake-enhancing effect of the trim.

I got one and tried it but I think I got the wrong kind. I got an SE Sport 300 because I heard it was the best one. Well it is really great at getting the boat on plane faster, which is what it is designed for, but it is too narrow, and far back to work well as a wedge.

"SE Sport 300 Stabilizer"

When I looked off the back of the boat while underway, the layer of water on top of the foil (the water that would be pushing it down) was very small. I think that using a different shape will help a lot.

I'm going to make an aluminum or stainless plate that uses the same hole pattern as the SE Sport. A little more like this one:

"Cobra Stabilizer"

but wider and more toward the front...shaped more like the Doel-Fin below.

I think the ones I saw that worked better for wake enhancement were more like this one. Notice how much farther forward it sits. This makes it dig deeper into the water with the trim up:

"Doel-Fin Stabilizer"

(Message edited by salmon_tacos on February 20, 2003)
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-20-2003, 12:14 PM Reply   
Cool thnx, ill have to ask my dad about that one.