Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-03-2004, 3:32 PM Reply   
Maybe I'm getting a little to anal here but does anyone have any recommendations on where to find alpha numeric decals for registration that look a little more applealing than the block letters at Walmart? If anyone has any pics of theirs to share, it would also be appreciated. DNR is starting to ride my a$$ since its been 6 weeks and still no numbers.... :9
Old     (tmorefi)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-03-2004, 4:01 PM Reply   
I got mine from here. Pick your colors and fonts and they ship it to you. They looked really nice..
Old     (evil_e)      Join Date: May 2004       06-03-2004, 4:16 PM Reply   
Um, where?
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-03-2004, 4:54 PM Reply   
Overton's has a nice collection of various stickers in their catalog. I've not looked at them online, but you can go to Overtons.com.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-03-2004, 5:12 PM Reply   
I had mine done to match the boat, but i've gotten stopped and they didnt write me a ticket but said they must be block numbers and must be black or white (if your boat is a dark color)

I still didnt change them! you can probably go to any sign shop and ask them. might be a little pricy but something to look into
Old    goldmember            06-03-2004, 8:29 PM Reply   
Got mine at www.domednumbers.com

They are great quality and you can choose fonts and colors on line. They are drip molded to match most boat graphics. I have a pic in my profile. Poor photography. Sorry about that, but you can get the idea.
Old     (bdavis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-03-2004, 9:02 PM Reply   
Those are great but pricey.

I bought a set from here for $12 they look nice.
http://www.motorsportsgraphics.com/boatregistration.htm
Old     (the_love_muscle)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-04-2004, 9:15 PM Reply   
I got mine from a custom/tint shop. They can use any computer font to make them. I'll post a pic soon.
Old     (aidan)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-04-2004, 9:35 PM Reply   
Bro, I have plotter ........ I'll cut you anything you need.......just pay for the material. It's cheap whole thing might cost you 5 bucks..........I have limited colors though
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-05-2004, 6:30 PM Reply   
I also got a warning for not having "vertical Block style' numbers (mine are painted on, actually), so you should be aware of the tightness of your local rangers backsides before doing anything slightly out of the ordinary.
numbers
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-05-2004, 6:33 PM Reply   
As you could guess, one of our local rangers could take a piece of coal and make it into a diamond in 15 minutes by putting it in his rear.
Old     (hoser325)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-05-2004, 10:11 PM Reply   
Any local sign shop can make you a pair of die-cut vinyls for about 10-12 bucks. any font/color. check your local yellow pages.
Old     (nickpman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-06-2004, 9:33 PM Reply   
Mastercraft dealer has the letters that match the lettering that says "wakeboard towboat" on the back etc... popped up lettering in silver.... just talk to ur dealer and see if they have anything
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-07-2004, 4:17 AM Reply   
Fed regs state the style and size. It is Block Lettering that is mandated, 3", and in a color contrasting with the hull. The script and shadow are illegal and will usually be cited, depending upon officer. It is unappealing, but so is paying cash for ignoring a law that has been on the books for about 50 years.

As an option, you could get your boat federally documented and avoid registration hassles. However, most inland lake officers are unfamilar with those laws and will give you a real hassle.
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-07-2004, 5:08 AM Reply   
Please tell us more about this "federally documented". Im curious. Ive never heard of that.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-07-2004, 6:36 AM Reply   
I highly recommend www.domednumbers.com as well, pricey, but very good quality and customer service.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-07-2004, 6:56 AM Reply   
A documented boat is registered with the USCG. The boat is named, with the name and home port on the stern. The documentation number is permanetly scribed on the keel in the engine space. The boat then carries a USCG certificate. It is then exempt from state registration. The documentation number and name then follow the boat throughout is life. It is possible to re-name the boat, but the document number stays the same.

Benefits: Great for boats that travel foreign (Bahamas, Mexico, Med, etc.). Ends problems with multiple state registrations for those boats who move around a lot. Required for most insurance carriers for boats in international waters on a regular basis.

Detractions: Pricey. Completely befuddles conservation officers and local sherifffs - lots of boardings since you don't have a sticker. Messes up insurance for those who operate entirely in US or in one state most of the time.

For more information, contact the USCG, vessel documentation division.

My recommendation is stick with state registration. It will be easier in the long run.