Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-07-2006, 7:29 AM Reply   
I posted on here about a "good deal" on an 01 X-star with low hours for 26K: http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/370463.html?1158847639
Have you ever heard the saying, if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is? Drove 1200 miles to go look at the boat this weekend. Within the first minute I knew I didn't want it. I was just sick. Here's a short list of issues:

all four blades on the prop had dings/bends

gelcoat above rub rail was "yellowed"

scratches down to the fiberglass on rubrail through the peeling decals and on the bottom of the boat.

gelcoat cracked where tower attaches to boat at both front arms of the tower,

carpeting falling off rusted out trailer with broken wiring plug.

Interior I could have lived with. I opened the glove box and it was full of about a 100 wood matches and reeked like marajuana.

Swim deck had been smashed and badly glued back together. Looked terrible.

Brackets on swim platform were corroded, as well as the speedo sticks in back?

Other cosmetic issues too, but these were the more significant ones. My thoughts are if someone treated the boat that badly, do you really think they did any of the routine engine maintenace?
Old     (crs)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-07-2006, 8:04 AM Reply   
That's pretty sad. Anyone who owns a boat knows how much money,time,and effort it takes to keep it in good running condition. It sounds like the owners of this boat didn't care, so you know they never serviced the engine. I'll bet it has factory oil in it. Good luck to anyone who buys this boat.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-07-2006, 9:26 AM Reply   
Man that sucks you had to drive that far only to see a Rag. But look at it this way it could have been worse, if you would have bought it without looking at it.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-07-2006, 10:44 AM Reply   
the boat was owned by a very very wealthy man who bought it for his 16 year old "pot head" son according to the dealer. No wonder this boat has been sitting on the market so long at such a low price.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-07-2006, 1:23 PM Reply   
sounds over priced to me actually.

That bought can occasionally be found for that price in good shape with a few hundred hours.
Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-07-2006, 2:14 PM Reply   
According to the dealer?? This idiot couldn't describe the condition of the boat more accuratly before you drove all that way?
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-07-2006, 2:58 PM Reply   
Mike Murphy, lets see some links to a 2001 X-star in good shape for 26K. I have been looking and most are listed at 31K-34K. This one was listed at 29.9K. I would not have bought the boat if it was 20K.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-07-2006, 3:01 PM Reply   
You should call the guy up and offer him 10k for it, then spend another 10k to fix it up. Tell the guy no one in their right mind would buy a boat in that condition.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       10-07-2006, 3:48 PM Reply   
here, 2000 clean xstar for 21k
http://home.earthlink.net/~mbelanger/

its FS in the classifieds
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-07-2006, 4:13 PM Reply   
All those things are cosmetic (unless you can prove the transmission has been affected by the bent prop) and can be fixed or replaced with a little money or elbow grease. You made the right decision not to buy it, but the boat will sell if he keeps it in the $25k range.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-07-2006, 8:52 PM Reply   
Bob, borrow a good propeller from someone, take a GOOD mechanic with you and go test drive the damn thing, then make an offer according the way it runs+the cosmetics issues.

at least that's the way we do things here.
good luck
Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-07-2006, 9:26 PM Reply   
fouroh! (fouroheight68) I wouldn't classify that as clean when the seats are all tore up. After an all new interior and lord knows what else that boat needs you are probably looking at 27K For around 28-29 you could have one that is in excellent condition and not beat to hell. If the exterior looks like that you can almost be certain the rest of the boat has not been taken care of.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       10-07-2006, 9:29 PM Reply   
true, i skimmed it quickly, and didnt look super close. Plus the fact you cant enlarge the pictures doesnt help any. I personally would avoid the boat not because of the interior (minor cosmetics IMO) but because theres a good chance its spent its life in salt water.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-09-2006, 6:07 AM Reply   
I was a little curious as to why it was sitting on the market since early August at that price an not sold. Also, Jeff, how do you fix up the yellowed rub rail? How can you prove there is or isn't any damage to the transmission. Not being sarcastic, just curious. The other thing I forgot to mention is the boat was orginally used in Florida for 15 hours. Bought from Liquid Sports Marine. I'm also concerned if the outside is that poorly taken care of, did they even bother to do the routine maintenance. Also thought it was odd that the center ballast was filled with water sitting on a showroom floor?
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       10-10-2006, 8:24 AM Reply   
Bob T

Look in the older than 5 year forum there are two of them in there right now.