Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (mendomalibu)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-07-2006, 1:06 PM Reply   
Does anyone know if you can buy the power wedge and install it on an 05 vlx? I have regular wedge on the boat now, but it would be sweet to have the new power wedge instead. Is it possible and how much would it run$$$$$.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-07-2006, 1:14 PM Reply   
nope, it can't be retrofitted. from my understanding, the power wedge is only installed in the factory as the boat is being constructed. so even someone with an '06 can't change their mind after the fact and have the power wedge installed after their boat leaves the factory. hopefully, malibu will eventually change this
Old     (mendomalibu)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-07-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
bummer!! thanks I guess i just can't be totally lazy.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-07-2006, 6:59 PM Reply   
Is it something that is actually molded into the fiberglass because i know that the factory does do waranty work. couldn't you send it back to the factory for the upgrade. I guess what i'm asking is... what about the power wedge physically keeps it from being able to be but on old bu's.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-07-2006, 7:23 PM Reply   
my only guess would be there are some parts/electronics/hydraulics, ect that can't be installed once both halfs of the boat are put together????
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-07-2006, 7:35 PM Reply   
makes about as much sense as anything i could come up with
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-07-2006, 7:42 PM Reply   
so what if that stuff breaks?
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-07-2006, 7:56 PM Reply   
Well when the original wedge first came out it was only offered from the factory, then a year or two later the dealer could install one...now you can do it yourself. I have a feeling that the PW will be the same.

Jason, the PW isn't just for convience of putting it up or down, it really helps to shape the wake in different positions. If you really want the PW on your boat you could probably rig up a system of hydrolics that would attach to your existing wedge, just like on the outdrive of an I/O.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-07-2006, 8:20 PM Reply   
I know someone that had the power wedge added to their VLX months after the original purchase. I believe it went to the factory for the install though. Maybe he'll see this thread and speak up.
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-07-2006, 9:04 PM Reply   
when I spoke to a MALIBU sales person he told me that the POWER WEDGE was an option and also an additional $2500.00 added to the price tag of the boat. WOW and all of this just to dial in the wake at the press on a button.

(Message edited by burbanized on February 07, 2006)
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-07-2006, 9:15 PM Reply   
George, if I was buying a new boat (which I am not) I would cheap out in other areas if I had to to be able to get the PW. Have you seen what it does to the surfing wake???
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-07-2006, 9:36 PM Reply   
from what i've seen, the power wedge doesn't do much different at wakeboarding speeds than the manual wedge, but at surf speeds...damn, you can almost get barreled by the wake
Old     (riverside)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-07-2006, 11:57 PM Reply   
the pw is connected to the computer and works togheter with the speed control.safety feature.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-08-2006, 1:26 PM Reply   
Jarrod,

The factory WILL NOT retrofit a power wedge on any 06'- models period. If you don't order it you WILL NOT have it period. Any talk about retrofitting is just that talk, again it will never happen period. Trust me on this!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-08-2006, 1:31 PM Reply   
How can you be so sure? I know that it's possible to do, so wouldn't it just be a matter of cost?
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-08-2006, 2:21 PM Reply   
Dave,

It's factory policy to not preform any retrofitting or permit any dealers to do it. It either is ordered and installed during construction or it stays on the shelf.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-08-2006, 3:04 PM Reply   
Strong words "it will never happen".
History says otherwise.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-08-2006, 3:10 PM Reply   
something tells me if i drove an '06 down to the malibu factory and offered them something like $7000 for parts and labor, they'd make an exception. and if j-rod says he has a friend that had one installed after delivery, j-rod has a friend that had one installed after delivery. it's that simple
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-08-2006, 4:03 PM Reply   
how about this guys:
Hello Blake, thank you for writing in and allowing Malibu Boats to assist you. Unfortunately there will not be any Power Wedge systems installed on any 2006 or previous model year Malibu's after production has been completed. Power Wedge systems will not be sold directly to Malibu Dealerships for installation as the original Wedge has been in the past. If you have any questions, please contact me at (209) 383-7469 or respond to this message. Thank you for your time and question.

Mike Sanchez
Malibu Boats
Customer Service Manager
mikes@malibuboats.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 3:18 PM
To: Mike Sanchez
Subject: ?

is there any way to get a power wedge added to a boat. If I have purchased and 06' malibu without the powerwedge and then decided i wanted it is there any way to get it.

Blake Tingey

Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-08-2006, 4:14 PM Reply   
and another:

Hello Blake, that is correct. With production of 8 boats a day in both manufacturing facilities, we are limited in space and are not set up for service work and/or optional installation to be performed here at Malibu. We apologize for this inconvenience. Thank you,

Mike Sanchez
Malibu Boats
Customer Service Manager
mikes@malibuboats.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 4:04 PM
To: Mike Sanchez
Subject: RE: ?

so your telling me, if i bought an 06 malibu without the power wedge then drove it to the factory no matter how much money i gave you i couldnt get a power wedge installed?
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-08-2006, 4:37 PM Reply   
Matthew, I suppose they could "change" that policy in the future. It was decided on early to not offer any retrofitting. Incidentally, pre 06' models the PW won't work w/ it as the
system wiring harness required isn't installed.

Jeff, save the 7k and buy a boat w/ the PW installed, as it's only $2,500 to order it and wouldn't make sense to pay 2x for it. Again it's not a matter of money rather policy that Malibu has.
Old     (muffintop)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-08-2006, 5:26 PM Reply   
I was told that the hull couldn't handle a retro fitted power wedge. There are reinforcements built into the 06's w/ power wedge that will enable you to run the boat with the wedge 1/2 down that the other model years can't handle. Maybe I'm wrong, but it made sense....
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-08-2006, 5:30 PM Reply   
maybe j-rod's friend just had some company connections or something. i don't surf (yet), so i don't really have an interest in the power wedge; i was just stating the fact that everything has its price, regardless of policy

malibudude, you seem pretty knowledgable about bu. what is their policy/charge for replacing/fixing broken power wedges? that's another reason i don't feel shafted for not waiting around for an '06 model. we have quite a few stumps on our lake, and i know i run the risk of boat damage everytime i go out. but i can live with the manual wedge being sheared or completely torn off; it's a quick, somewhat inexpensive fix at the shop and can just be added on to the prop and shaft repair bill. with the power wedge, however, it seems hitting a stump with it down would be disasterous
Old     (greg__s)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-08-2006, 6:55 PM Reply   
I'm pretty sure that its a $1,000 bump from the regular wedge set up, not $2,500.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-08-2006, 8:04 PM Reply   
i heard it's around 2k for a blank transom.
Old     (greg__s)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-08-2006, 8:07 PM Reply   
huh? While I was with someone ordering a new VLX, he was asked if he wanted the PW for another grand.
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-08-2006, 8:20 PM Reply   
I just ordered the 247, the wedge complete (not power wedge) is an extra 551.95 and the power wedge was 1753.25, I don't know if the dealers quote different prices depending on geo. location, but that was what it was here in Denver. So 1753.25 total, not 1753.25 + 551.95....
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-08-2006, 9:04 PM Reply   
festivus, that's what i was implying. nothing on the back is free, regular wedge is...551.95, and power wedge is (551.95+1753.25).
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-08-2006, 9:23 PM Reply   
Jeff,

Regardless which model of wedge you get it has a warranty period to cover the craftsmanship and mechanical entities. However should anyone damage the wedge w/ a stump, rock, or whatever it's your insurance that will cover it. Depending upon the extent of the damage the dealer and corporate may something out, but we as the boat owner will pay for the damage. If you use the wedge in an area that you know is prone to shallow areas w/ stumps, then my advice is don't unless you know the lake VERY well. I'm not sure the PW will do anymore damage or not. According to the factory email above at this point no amount of $$ will change that.
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-08-2006, 9:33 PM Reply   
From blank, nada in da back, slick, clean stern to power wedge is 1753.25 total. At least that is what I paid.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-08-2006, 9:44 PM Reply   
oh, i stand corrected, the price is 1753.25.

sounds like it's cheaper than originally speculated.
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       02-09-2006, 8:22 AM Reply   
I rode behind the 247 with the power wedge installed. I started out with the wedge not all the way in the down position and the boat would not get up to speed. ( It had all ballast full as well) We had to almost stop to raise it back up because of a feature that does not allow it to be activated at speed. I personally like wake of the 247 weighted and WITHOUT wedge. It definately does not have the type of wake I like with the wedge down. My $.02...
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-09-2006, 9:21 AM Reply   
Mad Child- you are right, the msrp for the power wedge is $1985.29 I think most dealers probably give some sort of discount- that's where my 1753.25 came from.
I demo'd the 247 last Friday and with the wedge all the way down and the 3 (not bow ballast) tanks full, it had no problem getting on plane. There were only 3 adults in the boat. You can adjust the wedge on the fly from 1/2 way to all the way down, but you have to slow to something like <10mph to raise it completely. The water was 40 degrees so I didn't feel like getting in, but it looked like it made a difference depending on the wedge position. Probably more for wakesurfing.