Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-26-2003, 12:14 AM Reply   
Is there an company in the states that could do a pre-buy inspection on a ski boat for me? I'm looking to buy a boat in Livermore, CA and I can't inspect it myself so was thinking I could hire an independant company to inspect it for me. How much should I expect to pay for such a service?
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-26-2003, 12:39 AM Reply   
How are you importing the boat? In most cases people in your position have the company/person that is importing the vessel do the inspection. I'm not familiar with any smaller firms that do tha type of thing, but I'm sure there are larger companies that could do what you're looking for. Have you tried google?
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-26-2003, 10:12 AM Reply   
There are tons of companies or rather individuals that do "marine surveys". Here is one Bruce T Martens Marine Services 707-645-1377. I know him personally, and the customer always comes first with him.

(Message edited by peter_c on April 26, 2003)
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-26-2003, 12:13 PM Reply   
Thanks Peter, does Bruce have e-mail?
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-26-2003, 12:18 PM Reply   
Darren,
Check your mail!

B-
Old    damnation            04-28-2003, 10:31 AM Reply   
I highly suggest the marine surveyors. I recently hired a marine surveyor to check out a boat for me in another state. He did a very thorough inspection and tested the boat and all components. It ended up costing me $250, which was reasonable considering it would have been a 9 hour drive each way and I didn't have time anyway because of work.

Do an internet search for SAMS (The Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors).

PS - Wuz up Peter?
Old     (moonwaker)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-29-2003, 5:13 AM Reply   
Beware of SAMS I used one and he was a 10 year veteran and didn't find any of the stuff I found after I got the boat. I would recommend if you use SAMS get references, a contract in writing, and a lawyer.