Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (danrocks4)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-21-2006, 3:57 PM Reply   
Does anyone know of anything besides a tramp board that i could build or get that could help me stay on my game and possibly even improve during the harsh missouri winter months? So far Wakeboarding Unleashed on PS2 hasnt done alot.
Old     (malibu_monkey)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-21-2006, 4:46 PM Reply   
Indo Board
Old     (closer)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-22-2006, 7:26 AM Reply   
what about a wet suit, a large flask of coffee and a hot water bottle for when you get out of the cold missouri water!!! Either that or come and visit the lads in the canary islands. Today the sea is flat and 23 degrees celc. Air temp 29 celcius!!
Old     (danrocks4)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-22-2006, 1:28 PM Reply   
you know i would be all for the wet suit and coffee, but my dads not such a hardcore fan of wakeboarding in the cold, and he's about the only option i have for a driver right now.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-22-2006, 1:40 PM Reply   
Thats bull and you know it Dan...I'll come drive for you when I get back on thanksgiving break...if you are still down.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-22-2006, 5:24 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Lift weights man. Squats are good and when you add these bubble discs it makes your body work its core muscles. You are always firing trying to maintain balance and all the stablizing muscles get a crazy workout. Add a complete upper body workout and you will come back in spring ripping. You will progress faster, recover quicker and ride longer. Its all good. I have a sick 4 day a week, 8 week circuit program if you want it.
Old     (danrocks4)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-22-2006, 6:43 PM Reply   
hey, im ready to go when ever you come home garret.
Old     (rothy)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-22-2006, 6:46 PM Reply   
Big Heavy, think that you could post up that workout or email me? Always looking for new workouts.
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-22-2006, 8:05 PM Reply   
post it, please.
Old     (canada_air)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-22-2006, 9:25 PM Reply   
i second the posting of the sick 4 day a week 8 week circuit us over 30 guys could do to keep up with the young pups
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-23-2006, 10:53 AM Reply   
Stephan, those balance things are cool and very effective, but I never thought about using one while doing squats. Do you put one under each foot or what?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-23-2006, 10:56 AM Reply   
indo board for sure!
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-23-2006, 11:05 AM Reply   
"You are always firing trying to maintain balance and all the stablizing muscles get a crazy workout."

Until you screw up and get a hernia or throw out your back. And don't think you that can't happen to younger folks. I knew a guy in high school who threw out his back on squats. It's no fun having chronic back pain before you're even 18. You really shouldn't be doing anything that hinders your balance while squatting with weights. There's a lot that can go wrong while squatting and even being a little off of proper form can lead to short term or even long term injuries. That being said, it's one of the best weight training excercises you can do when done properly but leave the bubble discs for free (unweighted) squats. The balance workout you get is in no way worth the risk. If you really want to learn balance, there are better ways.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-23-2006, 11:25 AM Reply   
one method of doing squats while working stabelizers is to put a workout ball between your back and a wall, feet out in front of you, and hold on to some lightish dumbells.

for added difficulty, do this while your feet are on a half ball. You will be surprised how difficult 4 sets of 15 with 25lb weights are.

I do 90% of my excersizes while working out stabalizers. i.e., you never see me on the bench press or smith machines.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-23-2006, 12:15 PM Reply   
"You really shouldn't be doing anything that hinders your balance while squatting with weights."

I can agree to an extent I guess. You could get hurt doing unstable squats, but I'd say you are more likely to get hurt wakeboarding. If you have poor technique, or have little experience with squatting properly, I would definitely not make them unstable. Lunges are safer in my opinion, and a more natural movement.

If you're going to make an exercise unstable, just start light. I would also recommend the unstable exercise as the last exercise for that muscle group. That way you can go light anyway.

The disks are a good way to start. I'm now doing singe arm shoulder presses, lateral raises, squats, curls, and flies while standing on the large balance balls, and the smaller weighted balls (basket ball size). The exercises are intense and fun! You can go much lighter, because the instability forces you to slow way down and do the exercise properly. I've had chronic back pain since 18. These exercises help a bunch.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-23-2006, 12:42 PM Reply   
I'll post it up in a day or so. (not on this computer)

Dante, I definately understand the concern you might have. We reduce the weight and after 2-3 weeks you find the balance point and can start adding more. 4 reps increasing weight, always have a spotter. We also use them for body weight squats, jump squats and holding the squate position. Pretty much any exercise with two feet on the ground get the discs. body weight lunges are good, add jump lunges and you are worked.
Old    norman_rider67            10-25-2006, 12:48 PM Reply   
Agreed with the throwing out your back. I used to wrestle and I tried for way too much on squats one day and ended up not riding for almost an entire season.
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-25-2006, 12:51 PM Reply   
Find a hill and snowboard.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       10-26-2006, 9:41 AM Reply   
We have the same topic going on a local website. This is my personal favorite:

"I sit on the couch usually with my feet up. It really prepares you for when you have to wait for the boat to come back and get you after a fall." By Todd Anthony
Old     (cwfunrider)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-26-2006, 10:30 AM Reply   
Indo Board - Indo Board - Indo Board
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-26-2006, 4:14 PM Reply   
Weights are gay! Get on a board-snowboard, skateboard, mountainboard, i guess Indo if you are trapped in your house. You can get your workout walking up hills and actually have fun. Falling on hard surfaces makes you look forward to how much less it hurts when you fall into water.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-26-2006, 4:42 PM Reply   
schooledrider, so what do you do for your upper body? Walk up mountains on your hands? I'm the first to advocate snowboarding but weights and cardio workouts are really good for you. Prevents injury, builds stamina & makes learning tricks tons easier.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-26-2006, 4:52 PM Reply   
I agree. Cross training is key, and weights are an important part of it.

Motocross is killer cross training for the core also.

Are you serious with that mountain board? Those things suck.
Old     (sammm724centurion)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-26-2006, 4:52 PM Reply   

DRYSUIT

Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-26-2006, 7:09 PM Reply   
Bud Light??? JK, I agree with weight training and cardio. Weights are only gay if you are going to the gym to pick up other men, is that what you do schooledrider?
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-28-2006, 3:04 AM Reply   
Once again, weights are gay. I love how pissed some of you get! I find weights boring, and my wife doesn't complain so you guys have fun lifting your pieces of metal.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-28-2006, 2:20 PM Reply   
It's not really pissed that comes to mind. Fact is I did not make fun of you for not lifting, but you seem to have no problem dissing something that is enjoyed by me and a few others here. If it's not your thing then fine, but dont be insulting...

PS Just because she isnt complaining, doesnt mean she wouldnt enjoy something bigger and,or firmer
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-29-2006, 12:41 PM Reply   
Classic Roid Rage! Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!!!!!! This is nothing compared to how I actually bust my friends a**** for spending more time at the gym than they do on the water. To be honest, I lifted through college and until I was about 30 and started having kids. My riding in all board sports is better now at 35 without weights for the past 5 years. There's only so much time, and I choose activities that I personally enjoy. And lets be honest, wakeboarding does not require more upper body strength than can be achieved through riding at least 3x/week.

(Message edited by rmcronin on October 29, 2006)
Old    davisrider            10-29-2006, 2:13 PM Reply   
what exercises can you do on an indo board to train for wakeboarding?