Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old     (natemah)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-29-2009, 9:43 PM Reply   
I was wondering if its worth it to watch the firework show that they put on?
Old     (rubin)      Join Date: May 2006       06-30-2009, 11:17 AM Reply   
bump...i'm also interested
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-30-2009, 11:54 AM Reply   
I went 2 years ago and it was fun being out on the water watching the show. But it was a crazy madhouse getting out of there after the show. I'd probably go again tho. Just don't be in a hurry to leave and all should be fun. Also make sure you have a good anchor. There were a ton of people and a little wind can send you all over.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-30-2009, 12:10 PM Reply   
I have been 3 Years in a row. You have 2 Options.

#1 You can launch real close to where they launch the fireworks (Blue Oak's)
Pro's Your close to the launch if you need out. No getting lost in the drive home.
Con's The wait to pull out is forever depending on when you decide to pull out. The launch parking fills up by 12 that day.
You'r Second Option is Mockoson Point<spelling
It's on the other side of the lake. It's a 45 min ride at full speed. It's like a 2 hr Idle at night and If you don't know the lake your gonna get lost on the way back. If someone know's the lake and has a spot light its pretty fun Adventure
I bring the family pontoon boat, Other wise it's a real rough ride over to the fireworks and dummy's throwing phantom rollers @ night in a over loaded wake boat can be a problem.

I say if it's your first time go to Blue oaks get there early and stay late. Or if you have a Pro @ Don Pedro and a Spot light then go for the long drive around and back.

Im staying at Tulloch this 4th but if I was going back I would do the drive around and get a Tom Tom nav unit that shows where you have been. That way it will take you back the way you came. Somtimes the drive back is the funnest part
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-30-2009, 12:16 PM Reply   
Grant... You're forgetting option 3 for launch. Flemming Meadows is also right there. About 5 miles past Blue Oaks. It has a MUCH larger capacity and is very close to where they do the fireworks. That'd be my choice of launch if you wanted to pull out right after the show.

I used to do it every year. It was always a blast. That was my parents favorite lake when I was a kid, so I had a pretty solid idea of navigating it day or night. We would always wait for the drama to clear after the fireworks. Chill for an hour or so on the boat and then cruise back. Grant is on the money... It's a mad house when the show ends. People tear off at full speed. It could be really dangerous. A few years back we saw some people wakeboarding after the show. The next morning their boat was floating against an island with nobody around. Apparently they'd run it aground the night before. Bad news, for sure.

Anyway... I totally think it's worth it. We always talked about doing a houseboat over the fourth. It'd be really fun to chill somewhere near the fireworks on the roof of a HB. Just be safe and you'll have a ton of fun.

(Message edited by guido on June 30, 2009)
Old     (gwperry2)      Join Date: May 2009       06-30-2009, 12:18 PM Reply   
When I went it was an bad arse show go out of moccason its easy just follow the people that are there you wont get lost. Nate I thought you were going to Naci?????????
Old     (rubin)      Join Date: May 2006       06-30-2009, 3:40 PM Reply   
Is the water in the area of the fireworks shallow enough to anchor?
Old     (natemah)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-30-2009, 4:02 PM Reply   
Thanks for the options everyone. Gary yeah i have no clue what i am doing haha. whos all going to Naci?
Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-30-2009, 6:18 PM Reply   
One of the best fireworks shows around. I launch out of Flemming every year.

Most area's in the general vicinity are not shallow enough to anchor.
Old     (reconabe)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-01-2009, 10:03 AM Reply   
We'll be there. I am so pumped. We fly out to cali tomorrow. I was there last year, it was the best day of the year for me. So much fun.
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-01-2009, 11:19 AM Reply   
Heading out tomorrow...Don Pedro is a blast on the 4th!. Have ZERO expectations of getting decent water to board on, but looking forward to a few days of floating in the water.

Pulling out after the fireworks is stupid crazy, luckily we have a great view from the camp site and pull out before the show. Contemplating taking giant score card and lawn chairs down to the launch ramp and rating people as they pull out. It is always a show upon itself!

Keep your eyes out for a blue and black Sanger V215 on the water.
Old     (utopia_wake)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-01-2009, 11:33 AM Reply   
Don Pedro is the best lake in the US, hands down. I went there for a Malibu shoot a couple of years ago and I had the best time ever. I am so jealous of you all and I hope to make it back there in the near future. Have fun yall and be safe.
Old     (rideon)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-01-2009, 5:03 PM Reply   
^^^^I don't know about all of that. I can think of a couple in Ca. that are better. It's nice and all, but one of the more crowded lakes around.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-01-2009, 6:39 PM Reply   
Whos gonna be up there this weekend?
Old     (rubin)      Join Date: May 2006       07-01-2009, 8:37 PM Reply   
I'm in. Any recommendations for boat in in camping areas? Ill be coming up friday morning.
Old     (rubin)      Join Date: May 2006       07-02-2009, 1:43 PM Reply   
...and i need a 3rd for friday if anyone wants to ride. no skills required, we have none.