Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       12-21-2007, 7:05 AM Reply   
So I got a 3/2 wetsuit, and I know this question is different for everyone, but I am wondering what temp the water will have to get to for me to be comfortable riding..
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-21-2007, 7:17 AM Reply   
I just started to use mine and the water was 65 but the air was 50 so it was more for wind protection than anything, but I probably won't be putting the shorty back on till spring.
Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       12-21-2007, 7:34 AM Reply   
what would you say too cold is for the 3/2?
Old    jklaus            12-21-2007, 9:30 AM Reply   
depends on the quality of the wetsuit - how much flushing you'll get and seepage through the joints and zipper. With a half decent 3/2 you should be able to handle mid 50s. Then if you want you can layer on short and a top for an extra mil or two.

Dont forget booties and gloves too - these make a huge difference in keeping you warm.

Cheers
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-21-2007, 9:35 AM Reply   
agreed. I have a cheap oneill hammer and if you had the heat or something with better seams and a better zipper you wouldn't flush out as much and that would keep you much warmmer even though the suit is still the same mil.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-21-2007, 9:43 AM Reply   
i wore the oniell heat 3/2 all winter last year here in northern california and was fine. sometimes air and water was in the 40s.

like they said above it matters on the quality of the suit. welded seams are a must to seal out water and tight suit will keep the water out if you want to be serious
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-21-2007, 1:53 PM Reply   
How could you get the booties in the binding's? That just sounds funny.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-21-2007, 2:43 PM Reply   
booties FTMFW!
booties in bindings? you shouyld just wakeskate and wear them under your shoes, haha.

but i guess for wakeboarding you might need a larger size binding, im not sure.

but with booties my feet barely get wet and stay super warm.
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-21-2007, 4:01 PM Reply   
booties wont fit. Thats why you should invest in closed toe bindings. The warmth difference is amazing. The toe support is ehhh not that much better, but being able to feel your feet is the best feeling in the world when you get out of the water.

When I lived in Massachusetts i would wear my 100 dollar oneil wetsuit all the way down to 40 degree water. I wear a oneil guru underneath that gives me an extra 1.5mm and then i wear golves and a hood. Im usually bring a thermos of hot water and pour it down the back of the wetsuit before i ride....its way cheaper than a shower. That combined with a docks start made for a great session.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-21-2007, 4:11 PM Reply   
if you are trying to get a little more warmth out of your wetsuit, instead of a neo top(which would add a lot of bulk and restrict movement) oneill makes thermal layering that goes under wetsuits that is sort of like under armor. im about to get the thermo vest with a built on 1.5mm neo hood.

check em out they seem really cool.
http://oneill.com/mens-surf-gear-thermal.php
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-21-2007, 4:13 PM Reply   
My Oneill 4/3 suit kept my body plenty warm in 45 degree water & 40 degree air. It was just the toes and hands that couldn't take it for more that 1 set.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-21-2007, 4:47 PM Reply   
....you guys wearing the 3/2 in 40 -50 were you actually warm......or rather surviving the outing!?
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-21-2007, 4:50 PM Reply   
Last April I went in 40 degree water without a wetsuit. I was about blue when they pulled me up. Good thing the airtemp was in the 80's. I have never wakeboarded more carefully then I did that day.
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-21-2007, 4:52 PM Reply   
Water in the low 40s is like wakeboarding in water that is in the mid 50s IMO, but the SIGNIFICANT advantage of the wetsuit is how it shields you from the wind and your body stays warm. So half surviving half enjoying myself
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-21-2007, 6:33 PM Reply   
michael i was comfortable in the 3/2 heat.
but this year i wanted a little more warmth and more flexibility so i got an oneill 4/3mm psycho 1