Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old     (flboarder)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-11-2007, 4:41 PM Reply   
Hey guys what is the best stuff to use for the little brown stains that bugs leave on the top part of a boats hull?
Old    bryan_giles            03-11-2007, 5:00 PM Reply   
I live down in South Mississippi and we have the worst bugs in the world. They are called love bugs. I know that dryer sheets will take them right off the front of your cars with no harm at all. Never tried them on a boat though. You might want to try a small area and see what happens.
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-11-2007, 7:58 PM Reply   
You mean bug poop? I use Mr.Clean Magic Eraser. Works like the name says...magic.
Wadd$
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-12-2007, 4:58 AM Reply   
starbrite hull cleaner
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-12-2007, 5:37 AM Reply   
Magic Eraser is an abrasive. I wouldn't use on fiberglass, as it will leave scratches. It works wonders on vinyl.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       03-12-2007, 7:06 AM Reply   
Charlie, I think the spots you are talking about are actually spider crap. There are plenty of cleaners that will work, but the very best thing is to prevent the spots by killing the spiders.

I use this stuff called VIPER; I spray it up in the rafters and on the underside of the roof of my boathouse at the beginning of summer, and it lasts about 3 months. It is a concentrate you mix with water and use a pump sprayer. I get it at my local Farm & Ranch store. $42 for a 12oz. bottle, but that will last several seasons. Wear eye protection, mask, long sleeves, etc.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-12-2007, 7:09 AM Reply   
If it's spider crap, windex will take it off. I've never tried it on gelcoat though.
Old     (soak_up_the_sun)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-12-2007, 10:52 AM Reply   
Rich G, thanks so much for that advise! My husband and I were just wondering if spraying the dock with something would keep the spiders down. It is just rediculous the amount of webs everywhere. We keep a long stick right at the end of the dock ramp to knock down the webs with.
I will look for this "Viper" and give it a try.
Thanks again

(Message edited by soak_up_the_sun on March 12, 2007)
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       03-12-2007, 12:09 PM Reply   
Lauri, it really works. Lots of people use for barns and storage buildings. It has a residual effect and lasts up to 3 months. Only use it in areas that are somewhat protected from weather; such as the underside of the roof and the rafters. It won't last on the side of a building that is exposed to rain. I use it around the house under the eaves and it helps. We have a crazy amount of spiders where I live.

Oh yeah, take your boat out before you start spraying.
Old     (soak_up_the_sun)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-12-2007, 1:57 PM Reply   
Yeah, I figured we would spray before putting the boat in for the season. Although, I wonder if it would damage the boat cover? I wouldn't spray it while it was on the boat, but maybe laying it on concrete and giving it a quick spray? Hmmm, something to think about.
It would be nice not to have to fight the webs, and the ones that love to dangle from the tower!
I figure if we hit the eaves and the railings it would be better than it is now.
Thanks
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-12-2007, 2:03 PM Reply   
best thing to use would be an cleaner called "ZING", the stuff takes any discoloredness? out of a white hull instantly, but be verrry careful w/ your skin and eyes..bad consiquences.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-12-2007, 2:27 PM Reply   
Starbrite, by Odion. its made with real bits of tiger, so ya know its good.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       03-12-2007, 5:07 PM Reply   
Lauri, here you go:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MARTINS-VIPER-INSECTICIDE-CONCENTRATE-ROACHES-FLEAS_W0QQitemZ120013283552QQcategoryZ20749QQtcZph otoQQcmdZViewItem

I found it locally in a 1 pint size at Tractor Supply Company (TSC).