Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (onepoorpilot)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-19-2010, 6:35 AM Reply   
Is it even an issue that the parks deal with? Any crazy stories? Riding revo, rixen, and McCormicks this weekend/week if anyone locally wants to join. Just flew down from Kansas city.
Old     (joshwrighttexas)      Join Date: Oct 2008       12-19-2010, 7:31 AM Reply   
Unfortunately a lot of people in FL have to deal with it at some point, alligators are very common and protected here in Fl. Cable parks are a very active place, but alligators can creep into the lake in the early morning or night. Revolution Cable does a full lake check everyday with a boat to check all obstacles and shore lines for complete safety. Gators are most active during mating season Mid-April through May. No crazy encounters here @Revolution but we have seen one, and non currently in the lake. Procedure is call the state to get a permit #, call a trapper give them your permit # and they eliminate the nuisance gator. Trappers do not get paid so they make the $ in meat and skin. Just a little info, see you at Revolution
Old     (brian_b)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-19-2010, 7:47 AM Reply   
THEre is not one reported incident of a gator attacking a rider. Worry more about a coconut falling on your head or a shark attack, or lightning. You are way more likely to get killed by those things in FL than gators. Have fun!
Old     (joshwrighttexas)      Join Date: Oct 2008       12-19-2010, 7:48 AM Reply   
true
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-19-2010, 8:25 AM Reply   
You have to be naked & smoking crack to get attacked my a gator here in Florida..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsR5FvkSPO8
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-19-2010, 8:54 AM Reply   
there are actually a ton of horror stories of gators and water skiers, gators and jet skiers, gators and show skiers, and, unfortunately gators and wakeboarders. It's getting increasingly dangerous. Don't even try getting in fresh water here, you WILL get maimed, mauled, and/or eaten. And gators don't eat you all at once. they take their time doing it.
Old     (jessemitchell)      Join Date: Feb 2009       12-19-2010, 10:22 AM Reply   
Luke is right, first time at OWC on my first fall a alligator jumped up and bit my arm off when I was doing a 1080 off the big white kicker, I still landed it tho but it was a horrible fall, Pics below if you dont believe me

Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-19-2010, 11:19 AM Reply   
its kinda the same with snowboarding in here in Colorado. Its epic, but YOU WILL DIE IN AN AVLANCHE. sorry to yell, but its not a joke
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       12-19-2010, 4:16 PM Reply   
Gators is sneaky critters. I don't trust me no gators. Thats why I ride in salt water. twelve foot bull sharks is cuddly next to dem gators.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-19-2010, 6:14 PM Reply   
I lived in FL for a while and coming from Wisconsin it was wierd at first, but after like a week I didn't even think about it,... we most rode lakes though, not cables (which are safer IMO)

Except one evening we were riding, last guy finished ..... crawled up onto the platform and was taking off his jacket/etc etc.... no more than 5 feet from the fall/where the boat was sitting a gator came up. Its crazy how they make ZERO noise. Honestly we had no idea how long it was there.... just silient. They're amazjng animals built to do one thing - kill.

I always hear they're more scared of people than we are of them, but the few times I've been near wild ones, they didn't seem to threatened by me.

The water would get low and getting the boat through the canals got tricky.... this was the worst.... pushing through having NO CLUE what was lurking in these things.

Found this in the grass one day there

Snakes are worse though.... they have no fear

Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-19-2010, 11:55 PM Reply   
It's not something you should worry about, I cannot speak for other parks but I work at mccormicks and have never seen a gator there before and we have a trapper come out just to make sure none come around. Hope you like our park
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-20-2010, 7:58 AM Reply   
Other than running over a gator once on a trick ski 25 years ago, I've never encountered any in my 35 years of skiing/boarding in Florida.
Old    mojo            12-20-2010, 8:37 AM Reply   
Been on the river in bam a for 14 years and never seen a gator. 6' gars yes. In central Florida skated with about a 3 footer 20 yards away and it seemed to follow me and pop up when I fell. On another like the animal control guys pulled out a 8, 6, and two smaller ones. Depending on size they can eat a deer and not be hungry for months. Just be prepared to fight if you must.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-21-2010, 12:59 PM Reply   
Sounds to like you may not be falling so much or perhaps working heavily on your tumble turns.

Eat or be eaten is my motto. See my profile pic. I think the sound of a boat is a bit of a repellent but at a cable park where things are nice and quite they sit in the water and watch you....its like watching a hot dog tumble on that roller at 7-11at 3 AM, if that glass wasn't in the way I'd snatch one.

My advise, let the smaller kids go first.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-21-2010, 1:14 PM Reply   
Ohh I forgot. Nick has it right those snakes are the worst.

In breeding season they create big mating balls in the water. God forbid you fall into one of those, your dead. They sit in the grass at the edge of the lake, coil up docks pilings, hide under boat covers, warm up under your car on a cold night. Watch all the locals, on cool mornings they glance under their cars so the damn snakes don't bite their ankles as they swing into the car. Forget it if they get into your house. They like to snuggle up to a warm body at night but when you move they snap at you. The small ones are worse than the big ones.

Every Floridian has been chased down the dock by a snake until they meet Mr. Rake. Everyone in my neighborhood keeps a machete at the end of the dock to cut the bastards heads off. What is it about moccasins that makes them so aggressive? At least a gator you can see, those snakes are like...snakes
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-21-2010, 2:21 PM Reply   
Florida sounds alot like the Delta. Whatever the Gators leave behind, the Green Anacondas will finish off. With all this rain this year, the California gator population in the Delta is exploding. Just a warning thats all. If I were you, Id stay in the lakes. Lol..
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-21-2010, 2:47 PM Reply   
Fla is not the only place you will run into venomous snakes around docks and boats.
Attached Images

Old     (msvinson)      Join Date: Dec 2010       12-22-2010, 7:32 AM Reply   
I'd rather deal w/ a gator than a cottonmouth! As for the machete... it better have a long handle before I go swinging it at one. The gators tend to get out of your way.. they don't like being around people and noisy boats. But a cottonmouth will stand his ground.. watch out for them!
Old    terrybailey10            12-23-2010, 3:03 PM Reply   
Gators are terrified of big wakes and wakeboarders weve been terrizing them for yearss. heres one of our big babys on lake irma.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old     (snoopy1173)      Join Date: May 2010       12-23-2010, 5:28 PM Reply   
we need to stop this thread, its gonna make me too scared to ever get back in the water.
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       12-23-2010, 9:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybailey10 View Post
Gators are terrified of big wakes and wakeboarders weve been terrizing them for yearss. heres one of our big babys on lake irma.

[IMG][/IMG]
whos the big baby taking the pic from the comforts INSIDE there car
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-24-2010, 8:27 AM Reply   
Help a brother out! The walnut sized brain of that eating machine won't process enough to get him around the fence. You should pull his tail the right and swing him in the proper direction.
Old    mojo            12-24-2010, 9:28 AM Reply   
You should take a 12 gauge to its skull and add the hide to your boats interior
Old     (gravity)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-26-2010, 8:07 PM Reply   
Damn I would love to ride all year around but snakes and gators kinda suck. I try not to think about what's in the water. Some times when the boat is coming around my mind gets to thinking but in WA there is nothing to crazy in the lakes.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       12-28-2010, 5:11 AM Reply   
Ive been in florida my entire life and ive never had a close call with a gator while i was riding boat or cable.....poaching now thats a bit different. Lol