Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            08-01-2008, 3:40 PM Reply   
We had Eric Roush or Roush Creations out on the boat Wednesday. Eric has a line of composite sandwich skimboards manufactured and distributed by Surftech. Surftech is the single largest manufacturer of surf and related boards in the world, with something like 160,000 boards built per year.

We spent quite a bit of time discussing wakesurfing and boards that would work.

Eric brought a few of his creations along, these are itty bitty boards, the one with the resin swirls was built for a 80 pound kid, it's a shade over 4 feet and just at 18 inches wide.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-01-2008, 3:48 PM Reply   
thats asic shot and a sic board how does the twiney work I want try that board Ilove twins I havent try one behind the boat how tall is the board.
Old    surfdad            08-01-2008, 3:52 PM Reply   
Eric is a former champion skimboarder. In this picture he threw a 3 shuv, he did one regular shuv that was so fast it was hard to see. His boards are much smaller than what we are accoustomed to. Many under 4 feet, I believe the one in this picture is 39" with significant concave. This board also has no fins.

I'm sure that folks like CASkimmer are used to seeing this and no doubt Sean can even ride without a fin, but it is exceptionally HARD! Let alone doing a 3 shuv.

Upload

James air'ing out the tiny 4'+' by 18" 4 channel board.

Upload
Old     (ds3)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-01-2008, 4:03 PM Reply   
Pretty cool looking boards. That's great you get to spend time with different folks and check out all these different kinds of boards. Some pretty cool riding shots as well!!

D
Old    surfdad            08-01-2008, 4:23 PM Reply   
Thanks Derek,

Yeah it's great fun, we are tru;y blessed to have so many folks in the industry and sport that we call friends. That board with the blue'ish bottom and is in the first picture of James riding, is a composite sandwich of Dow Blue Styrofoam and it has a corecell A500 deck. Eric is an exceptional composite engineer when it comes to boards.
Old    surfdad            08-01-2008, 4:29 PM Reply   
I think one of the most fun boards we rode was the Aloha Loaf. It's exceptionally thick - around 1.5" tip to tail, but it's only 42" long.

If you look at this picture, I intentionally buried the tail in the white wash, up to where my rear leg was in the curl. I was able to ride like this as long as I wanted. The board was being bounced around, but it was amazing to be on a sub-4 foot board that you could ride this far back AND just lean forward to drive out of it.

How many times have you missed your three because you drifted out the back? I think this sort of design - huge flotation in a short package is the answer to that.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-01-2008, 4:37 PM Reply   
Speaking of 3's...Judy is a spinmeister on this :-)

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-01-2008, 4:39 PM Reply   
I was talking about the twin fin one that is black railed and red white and blue.Yeah I dont ride skim boards.I tryed them and they dont work for me ive been surfing in the ocean on the northcoast of cali for 25 years and just started wakesurfing a year ago and I like the boards that are more like surfing style
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-01-2008, 4:48 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            08-01-2008, 4:50 PM Reply   
I hear ya James, I can't ride the skimmers either. The red, white and blue one is 4'5" and about 20" wide. It has literally no nose rocker, maybe 2 inches. It was shaped with a single butterfly channel, exceptionally fast down-the-line, but not great rail-to-rail. The release was very good, although the other smaller board released better.

You're welcome to borrow it anytime you're down in the valley.
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-01-2008, 4:58 PM Reply   
where do you live we should get together and ride and make a double wave I live in bodega but go to lake sonoma alot and i goto clearlake where do you guys go and how far is it, I want to try that board its the perfect size
Old    surfdad            08-01-2008, 5:05 PM Reply   
We are south of Sacramento out in the sticks. Come to our contest on Sunday, 'bro, I'll have it for you there. Tulloch is calling your name! :-)
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-01-2008, 5:14 PM Reply   
Im trying,do you ever go to whiskey lake Iheard that place is super sic
Old    surfdad            08-01-2008, 5:49 PM Reply   
No, I've never even heard of it. We typically hit New Hogan on Wednesday's and one day over every weekend. What's in between here and there?
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-01-2008, 6:23 PM Reply   
How far is claer lake from you
Old    surfdad            08-01-2008, 6:44 PM Reply   
It's about 150 miles and about 2.5-3 hours towing a boat - Judy will kill me! :-)
Old    mobster            08-01-2008, 8:46 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            08-01-2008, 8:58 PM Reply   
Such a sweet looking stick JL and what a GREAT way to piss off your glasser! :-)
Old    surfdad            08-01-2008, 9:20 PM Reply   
James - Eric really liked that Twin, he's 6" some odd and 205 pounds.

Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            08-02-2008, 4:49 AM Reply   
A few of Eric, two separate 3 shuv's.

Upload
Upload