Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 14, 2005

Old    flienlow            12-17-2004, 1:44 PM Reply   
I would like to mount 3 amps in my ssv.Before I do, I'd like to see if anyone has any insights as to the best way to do this. I bought a skylon deafconIII speaker set. The boat also has 6 kenwood speaker already, and I do plan on installing a 12' sub under the helm. I would be happy to hear any gear suggestions as well.

Thanks!!!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       12-17-2004, 1:52 PM Reply   
What amps? will they fit on the inside wall of the passenger storage compartment? Alot of people build false walls and carpet them, mount the amp to that, then mount to the wall. Looks alot better. gives you a cleaner install by hiding most of the wires. Do a search on here, or ask more specific questions
Old    flienlow            12-17-2004, 2:32 PM Reply   
I dont have the amps yet. Hence the "happy to hear any gear suggestions" I realize that they will go in the passenger storage compartment, but just how to build the false wall that is making me wonder and how to attach that to the inside of the boat?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       12-17-2004, 2:54 PM Reply   
I built mine out of some scrap marine plywood coated in Resin.. alot of guys use MDF coated in Resin. I used some carpet i had from another box I built. I screwed mine into one of the interior walls on my boat. Alot of guys use Kicker amps on here, good bang for buck. All depends on what you want to spend. I used a piece of cardboard for a pattern for my wall then cut that out of the plywood. I carpeted it, then mounted amps and drilled the holes for the wiring, then mounted the whoel thing to the intereior wall woth drywall screws. Make sure you know where the wires are running through the back. I used some small PVC pipes as guides glued on the backside the ampbaord .
Old    flienlow            12-17-2004, 3:00 PM Reply   
Thanks Adam!!

Pics?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       12-17-2004, 3:03 PM Reply   
do a seacrh under stereo installs, there are some really good pics of amp boards. someone coated one in line-x
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-17-2004, 3:46 PM Reply   
Check out Roswells's amp panel. They have a 3 amp panel that fits in the SSV passenger storage compartment perfectly. I didn't see it on their website but if you have a dealer close to you, you could check them out. If not, call Natalie at Roswell and she'll hook you up with a pic and pricing.
Old    flienlow            12-17-2004, 4:47 PM Reply   
Thanks John!
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-17-2004, 10:38 PM Reply   
Do you want to show the amps off? If so, the passenger storage compartment works okay, but three amps take up a lot of space.

Here's an alternative if you want the sound but don't need the bling. Put them behind the kick panel at the driver's feet. There's quite a bit of room in this area, they're closer to the head unit, and it stays dry back there no matter what. Plus, they're much harder to steal because you have to remove the driver's seat to get any working room.
Old     (mujibur)      Join Date: May 2002       12-17-2004, 11:17 PM Reply   
I second Jeff's input. There is a lot of room behind the drivers panel and it stays dry. That is where i put my amps. Mounted them to the floor and built a shelf with MDF coated with resin and mounted the last amp to the shelf. Unfortunately i didn't take pics before i buttoned it up and the boat has been stowed away for the winter. I can post some pics in the spring.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-18-2004, 6:28 AM Reply   
If you get the Roswell pic post it please
Old    flienlow            12-18-2004, 8:26 AM Reply   
I would really like to see the roswell photos too. It seems that rosewell makes a lot of cool stuff but doesnt have any pictures of it.
I was told the there is not a lot room behind the drivers kick panel? I am going to mount the sub in there. Need to check that out.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-18-2004, 9:48 AM Reply   
Here you go guys. I found this in my dealer's catalog from last year. It comes with a Clarion 400.2 amp or three 400.2 amps. You might could even get it with no amps. Price with one amp is $599, 3 amps is $1499. This might be a bit high but it is suggested retail, shipping included and is designed specifically for the SSV.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-18-2004, 10:01 AM Reply   
Thanks Jon.
Old    flienlow            12-18-2004, 11:56 AM Reply   
Excellent post Jon! Thanks!
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-18-2004, 1:05 PM Reply   
There actually is a fair amount of room behind the driver's kick panel, but access to it is somewhat limited. I couldn't get anything bigger than an 8" sub box to fit. If you're using a free air installation, you can mount at least a 10" sub directly to the kick panel--maybe bigger.
Old     (evil_e)      Join Date: May 2004       12-20-2004, 7:52 AM Reply   
I have an 04 SSV with 3 amps in the passenger storage compartment and they really don't take up much room at all. I've got 2 of them mounted against the left side wall and the third mounted agains the back wall. I've also got 2 batteries in that compartment and they take up a lot more room than the amps. As for a sub in the driver's kick panel, I had a custom enclosure put in for my JL Audio W7 10" and it fits fine, but Jeff is right, normally you wouldn't be able to fit much more than an 8" box.
Old    buttskimmer            12-21-2004, 6:08 AM Reply   
I have a 03 SSV - I bought a small 12" box for the 12" sub. I ran the wire down the drivers side panel and out the small gap below the cup holders. When the staduim seating is in place - it just fits between the drivers seat and the bench seat locked in place. 12" hits much harder and having it out of the drivers area adds to the sound. I have the 5 channel Kenwood amp (factory mounted) in the storage compartment on the wall below the glove box. Using the right length of screw is important - short ones.
Maybe mounting the amps on the false wall under the driver to let them get more air would be the best place. Remote the sub like mine. Not only would the amps get more air,your power & rca cables will be short.
~S~