Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 14, 2005

Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-03-2004, 11:46 PM Reply   
If i ran a pair of these in mono with about 300 watts rms or do i need more?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-04-2004, 11:48 AM Reply   
That's only 150 watts to each speaker. I was running 225 watts each to mine and I think they could have used a little more. Keep in mind that they are 8 ohm so you are correct to run them in mono to get the most out of your amp.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-04-2004, 6:56 PM Reply   
thank you. did you figure out how to blend the signal so as to prevent signal loss from one channel to the other?
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-04-2004, 9:32 PM Reply   
I run mine in mono at 300 Watts RMS and they sound pretty good. I can hear them while boarding, but not loudly, but it hurts my ears a little when I'm in the garage and stand on the swim deck with the stereo on full blast. I'm upgrading my amp soon and if you PM me, I'll let you know how they do with more than that.

I'm no stereo guru, but I hear some people argue that the Wattage alone doesn't tell the whole story and some amps with lower wattage may produce a louder sound - any further comments on that?

About blending the signal - I just bridged my right and left channels and both come out of the speakers.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-04-2004, 10:09 PM Reply   
current plays a big part... current capaility is different than watts...

kinda like torque vs horsepower.... this may help, if horsepower is watts, current is torque.

a well constructed u.s.a made amp that puts out 50 watts into 4 ohms, should be able to go 100 into 2 ohms and 200 into 1 ohm and 400 into .5 ohm (zapco)...

or

depending on the design and manufacture, some amps will put out a very conservative 150 watts into 1.3 to 8 ohms (jl slash series)...

what it comes down to is the design, construction, and specs ( good manufactures will "underspec" the ratings ( jl, zapco, brax, addison, mcintosh). a good amp will sound good, not get hot and shut down, and have regulated power supply ( my personal opinion on the reg. pwr. supp.) and be reliable, and cheap repair is needed.

so a jl amp 150 wpc(300/2) is actully 225 rms into (1.3 ohm to 8 ohm) or a zapco comp series will easily run 50 rms (4 ohm) to 400 watts (.5 ohm)..

what is also important is regulated power supplies...a amp output is is spec on a certain voltage. being a mobile enviorment.. the voltage will vary from 11.5v to 15 volts depending on the rpm and electrical load..generally an amps output will be lower if the voltage drops..

with regulated power supplies the output is the same wether @ 11.5 v or 15 volts ( regulated power supplies are a big deal in big multi amp systems )

also as a amp warms up and get hot... it will start putting out less power (depends on design - class d & t run very cool), it is a good idea to have 25% bumper

alot comes down to setup and preference..

hope that helps,

Mike
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-05-2004, 8:17 AM Reply   
current is the major role. i ask the question because i have a decent pioneer 300 watt rms amp with pretty decent voltage.

talltigeguy,
how did you bridge the left and right signal off the head unit?
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-05-2004, 4:23 PM Reply   
TY,

What I mean is that I bridged the right and left channels together. The head unit signal is not bridged. I think I may not have understood your question. By bridging the channels, it all comes out mono, and I lose nothing but the stereo sound. Please clarify what the question is if that doesn't make sense.
Old    air_sv211            12-06-2004, 6:23 AM Reply   
I have a Rockford Fosgate P5002 driveing mine. 250 watts RMS each, sounds good. The spec sheet on the speakers says 300 RMS.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       12-06-2004, 6:58 AM Reply   
I had around 300 watts RMS to each one. I used the audiobahn 8002t ($150 shipped). (bridged mono) Cheap amp that puts out decent power. You can hear them pretty good at about 70 feet while riding. For the price you won't find a much better speaker. I'm not much of a fan of the design though. anyone up for taking the components out of the evids and putting them ina custom enclosure?
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-06-2004, 3:00 PM Reply   
talltige,
did you take the left channel from the deck and use a y at the amp? if so you would lose some of the information from the right channel.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       12-06-2004, 3:21 PM Reply   
Ty-one-on,

Are you trying to use the fader of the deck to control the EVID's? If you Y your RCA's you won't lose an signal but I think you will lose the stereo effect. If your running in mono it won't matter anyways. Do you only have one set of RCA out of your deck?
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-06-2004, 3:41 PM Reply   
i thought about that. so you are taking a y directly from the two outputs on the deck and then another y at the amp or taking both outputs on the deck and using a y at the amp or does you amp blend?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-06-2004, 5:49 PM Reply   
Wow,

I just checked back in and I am not sure what all the confusion is about?

Most modern amps are set up so they add the left and right inputs if you hook them up mono, so don't worry about the inputs just hook them as you would if it were stereo.

On the output wire the 8 ohm speakers together and hook them up as your amp's mono terminals, usually something like L+/R-.

Current splitting?/Torque splitting?/Horsepower? Huh, not sure what all the fuss is about and I am an electrical engineer.

Two speakers, eight ohm, mono wired = design condition. Everything should be

Put a cutout switch on the tower amp turn-on lead to turn them off when your idling around the marina. Any tower system capable of being heard while riding can cause you not to hear a safety warning, like driving a car with headphones. These systems can get real loud, please turn them off if you start pissing people off, or we will start to see sound restrictions in our riding spots.

Most importantly ROCK 'N' RIDE!
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-08-2004, 10:55 AM Reply   
Ty,

It depends on how many RCA outs your head unit has. Mine did not have enough, so I used a y splitter on both the right and left head unit RCA outs and sent 1 pair to the amp for the tower speakers and the other pair to the amp for the boat interior speakers. So my amps still see both inputs from the left and right. The stereo effect still works for the boat speakers, and would work for the tower speakers too, if I hadn't then bridged them to both a right and left channel.

Have I successfully confused myself?

(Message edited by talltigeguy on December 08, 2004)
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-11-2004, 2:36 AM Reply   
What do you guys have the crossover set at?

also, mike- you really like those blaupunkt 2150 amps?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-11-2004, 12:59 PM Reply   
XO set at 150hz

The Blau's are cheap and easy on factory electricals, yes I like them but they are nothing to brag about (negative bling factor too).

Here is a link to a word doc explaining my previous boat stereo's in detail: http://bierbower.net/diytower/Boat%20stereo%20system.doc
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-11-2004, 4:10 PM Reply   
one last question...how do you mount the brackets on the speakers?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-11-2004, 11:47 PM Reply   
Remove the wiring plate, remove the factory mounting stud, bolt on Raul's clamps backed up with a square washer.

Evid mount/wiring
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-12-2004, 9:57 AM Reply   
very cool. thank you
how is the bass response on these?
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-12-2004, 10:00 AM Reply   
I am going to go the same route you did with them on top because i do not want to alter my bimini. I found all the parts to make telescoping front arms but at the last minute decided not to. The evids are wide enough to look good on top. INow I just need to find a pair of evids new or used. You know anyone selling?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-12-2004, 11:03 AM Reply   
The lowest price on new ones are through www.audioallies.com. I bought mine used on e-bay for about $50 less. Adam Curtis might have a used set? Start another post looking for a pair and you will probably find somebody offing a pair when they upgrade to NVS.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-12-2004, 11:06 AM Reply   
They don't do bass, that's not what they are intended to do. You can feel a little bit coming through a non-stretch handle but you won't hear it. You will need to add a couple of well powered 12s if you want to hear bass at the end of the rope.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-12-2004, 5:45 PM Reply   
i have a killer sub in the boat.

thanks for all the help.