Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 14, 2005

Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-27-2004, 11:19 AM Reply   
I've been on few boats SAN,supra,ski centurion etc.Granted they don't weight their boats down as much but the prop wash was pretty bad on my x-2.Depending on the size of the rider sometimes you can hardly see the rider.I was thinking of getting a new prop to plane out alittle eazier and hopefuly get rid of some of that prop wash.I got a stock prop that comes on a 04 x-2.Any ideas,feedback would be much appreciated.

Big Ed
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-27-2004, 11:25 AM Reply   
3000lbs of ballast = prop wash...no matter what.

that's what i understand, anyway.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-27-2004, 11:30 AM Reply   
a different prop wouldn't help??
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-27-2004, 2:02 PM Reply   
I think it also has to do with prop shaft angle, boats with less angle = smaller rooster. The X-2 feels like it has a fairly steep angle because when you power up the bow rises with gas applied.
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-27-2004, 2:07 PM Reply   
Are you talking about the rooster thing seen in the below attachment?

http://www.clarkson.edu/~jacksobc/wakeboard/images/mastercraft.gif

If so, the more you weight your boat the bigger that wash/ rooster will be. Changing your prop will not reduce that wash. It would however greatly improve your hole shot. What prop are you running? 13.5 x 16 ACME 536 4 blade? If so then here are a few other options.

ACME 644 13.25 x 16
RPMs = medium
hole shot = good
top speed = fair

ACME 856 13.25 x 15.50

RPM's = high
hole shot great
top speed = poor

Luke did a review of these props a bit back. you could search it.. ACME PROP REVIEW (Wakeboarding) it was posted on Sunday April 11, 2004. I couldn't find it.. I printed it when I first read it.

Im looking forward to see how my new 05 210 with the ZR6 will do with the stock prop. I think its the ACME 536. I may end up with the 644. Only time will tell

Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-27-2004, 3:01 PM Reply   
Ed, you DEFINITELY need to ditch that stock OJ prop. That thing is worthless. I bought a 13.5x16 ACME from Karl at boarditup.com. The overall improvement is mind blowing.

I have an 04 X2 with the MCX, 2300-2600lbs of ballast, and 3-6 people. The OJ is practically unusable, even after having it re-pitched.

You may lose 1mph on top, but the the boat will have so much more acceleration, you have to feel it to believe it.

Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-27-2004, 3:40 PM Reply   
joe ~ do you have to worry about the rev limiter too much and not that I care but how is the top speed.mine is at about 42mph the way is calibrated right now.
I have one different person drive my boat right now and that's probably gonna change so I just want to be confident that they are not going to damage my boat in the process.
Old    bambamski            11-29-2004, 9:40 AM Reply   
Big Ed, doesn't your rooster tail get smaller if the bow is weighted down more? Something to do with the angle? I've wondered about that sometimes. My old X-10 didn't have a big rooster but I never really put a ton of weight in it either.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-29-2004, 10:23 AM Reply   
Maybe it does,never payed attention to it that way,maybe cause I didn't like the wake.The way I way my boat down now,I pay attention because It''s been like this for 2 month's or close to it and the wake is ....Well I absolutely love it.Might be alittle too much for me now but I figured got to get used to it sometime.
Old    bambamski            11-29-2004, 10:43 AM Reply   
You put a ton of weight in yours don't you? What the heck does the wake look like with that much weight? I can't imagine actually, I've ridden behind a friends X-2 with about 1600 pounds in it and it was very big. Of the 1600 pounds I think about 600-700 of that was in the bow and the rooster was ok.

I ordered my X-2 last month, won't get it until April or so though. Can't wait...

Oh I'm the worlds worst speller so when I actually catch someone misspelling something I have to say something Ed, Weigh not way
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-29-2004, 11:36 AM Reply   
your right I don't know what I was thinking.
Too bad you're in Canada I was gonna offer you a pull.btw you will absolutely LOVE your boat.If you need any tips to WEIGHT it down e-mail me I tried it 30 different ways and 3 different levels of weight.1000lbs,2000lbs or 3000lbs+ WATCH OUT!!
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-29-2004, 5:54 PM Reply   
More weight needs more speed.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-29-2004, 8:11 PM Reply   
Jeff you are sooo right!!
slowly been picking up the speed. pretty curious the speed you would ride behind my boat.
the fastest anybody rode behind my boat was 23.3mph and he was "BUSTIN"I ride 22.7mph but my speed is probably off.

Curious who it was...ta ta tatata

Doc Oc
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-30-2004, 2:19 PM Reply   
Ed, I have not hit the rev limiter yet, and we got into a few "races" to the launch towards the end of the summer. I'm not sure where the MCX rev limiter is set, but I can hit 46mph at 5400rpm without trouble. (According to Perfect Pass).

It's funny, because with the 13.7x17 OJ prop, it was almost impossible to break 45mph, although the revs were only in the 5100 range. The salesman told me this is because the Acme prop is so much more efficient.

Buy the prop, if you don't like it, send me an email and I'll give you $300 for it(as long as it's not dinged!).

Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-30-2004, 4:29 PM Reply   
Sounds like you like these props.

Suggestion ~ DO NOT TAKE YOUR MOTOR OVER 5200rpm that is the limit.Not saying it couldn't but you shouldn't and that's if it's the MCX if you got the Predator It's 4800rpm.

My dealer set the throttle that when at full throttle it's at 5100rpm max.

So your full throttle is at 5400rpm?If so,you answered my question and losing 200rpm..not bad if you feel about +50hp.

thanks for all your replies.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-30-2004, 5:51 PM Reply   
Ed, don't worry about going past 5100rpm for brief periods.

Trust me, if you ever hit the actual rev limiter on a car or boat, you will know! It sounds/feels like the motor lost 5 cylinders for a second until the revs come back down. I remember reading somewhere that the MCX limiter is built in at 5500rpm, but I'm not quite sure.

Right now my Acme has a small ding that's causing some vibration. I'm sending the prop to Thomas Marine Propeller in Rancho Cordova for the repair, and I'll probably have them re-pitch it a little lower for even more pull out of the hole. I never travel at high speed for more than a minute or two, so I'm willing to give up 3-5mph up top for some serious stump pulling power.

Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-03-2004, 12:55 PM Reply   
Joe 788 ~ have you noticed better gas milege?If yes how much?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-03-2004, 1:48 PM Reply   
Ed, How about a pick of your wake.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-03-2004, 2:22 PM Reply   
pics always suck cuzz it doesn't do it justice but if you wanna see it go to ANTBUG'S post TOESIDE.the pic him jumping,that's my boat-wake.I would do the hyperlink there but don't know how,I would post a pic but don't know how.pretty lame huh?

It's Castaic and it's pretty choppy so can't tell too much