Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 14, 2005

Old     (cwbrider14)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-13-2004, 9:03 AM Reply   
I was thinking the other day jumping in my buddies boat about how cold my feet get hitting the wet floor in the winter time. Then I though what about radiant heating in the floor under the carpet.

I could run the tubes and then fill in the gaps between them with plywood and carpet over the top for an even finish.

Just not sure if I would have to hook up the tubing to a seperate water heater or take it right off the water heated from the motor....

Anyone try this yet?
Old    whitechocolate            11-13-2004, 11:29 AM Reply   
Wow that would be a killer Idea If you could get it to work. All the heet that comes off the motor just gets unused, That would be a great way to take advantage of the heet. However I dont think that many people would get this option. It seems like 90% of boat owners put there boat away when it gets cold. I would get it. LOL
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-15-2004, 4:38 PM Reply   
I have even a better idea that may be more economical and possible. There are some new products on the market for tile floors in bathrooms. It's a mesh type product that you laydown on the floor before you apply the glue. It's in essence a small thin heater coil that gets warm with an electrical current. It's an idea to glue down before you glue the carpet down.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-15-2004, 4:55 PM Reply   
Exactly as kraig said. We put it in my parent's new bathroom and it is EXCELENT! Just put that under the carpet and there ya go. I think you might need a power inverter casue they run off of AC current, but thats about it. This stuff can be found on eBay for relatively cheap.
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-15-2004, 5:02 PM Reply   
That would be a pretty sweet idea up here in Washington. Just don't light your boat on fire doing it. I'd feel better with hot water through tubes than electrical current. But I don't know anything about how much current is going through those I'd imagine not enough to catch fire.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-15-2004, 5:26 PM Reply   
Ryan- I agree, I would have the same concerns and obviously the thought runs through the mind. But think of it this way, they are approved to be installed in homes. Obviously they have been engineered and tested. And they don't get hot enough to start a fire, otherwise there would be many homes in ashes. And I'm sure you could find some product along these lines that would run off a 12v system. And if not, there's the idea to make someone alot of money. Wait........forget what you just read....I've got to go!!!!!
Old    whitechocolate            11-15-2004, 5:29 PM Reply   
MUST HAVE HEET
Old    vern            11-15-2004, 6:03 PM Reply   
Ok, here's what ya do. Buy the coils, take out the carpet and replace with tile. Hey, the tile weights more (added balast) and you get the heat. It's the best of both worlds :-)
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-16-2004, 6:08 AM Reply   
The underfloor heating mats are around 300W each and you'd need prob two of them. If you wanted 12V ones which no one currently makes they would have to draw around 25A each which is an awful lot of current, especially with 2 of them. There wouldn't be much headroom for electrical equipment such as big ass amplifiers and alike.

As for using an inverter to run 110V AC then your asking for trouble with all the water around!
Old     (cwbrider14)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-16-2004, 4:55 PM Reply   
Know the exact name of the product and a site where I can check the electrical specs on it? The problem with inverters is most are set up for low aperage loads, and the ones that aren't consume a hell of a lot of power.

Although at 600 watts for the whole thing thats only 5 amps AC current.

But I am sure it can be set up for DC because I think the heating coils in car seats are set up the same way. Speaking of which.. wouldn't that be sweet too.

Damn I should go work in the Nautique engineering department...LOL
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-16-2004, 7:02 PM Reply   
I thought about this not sure how goo it would work.. Wal-mart sells washable electric blankets and they get toatsy. washable means boat safe! Put one down under the carpet crank it up and wala nice warm floor, gets wet then drys out.when you don need it unplug it! wht do you guys think!!
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-16-2004, 7:03 PM Reply   
greg nice sanger by the way..
Old     (cwbrider14)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-16-2004, 8:19 PM Reply   
You as well Kenny. I am not to big of a fan of the logo on mine on the sides though. I am thinking of taking them off and having my own graphics painted on. As for the blanket that would work as well I am sure. When I get some free time before next winter I am definitely going to have something in place.
Old    wolfpack            11-19-2004, 5:21 AM Reply   
Definitely don't run tubes for water, you would not be able to drain them enough to be sure you don't have to rip the whole thing out after winter.
Old    vern            11-19-2004, 8:24 AM Reply   
Just tough it out. I've had to do that one a few times. We usually break the jetski's out when it is nice and cold. Ever ridden a jetski in 5ft swells when the air temp isn't much abouve 50 and the wind is at 40mph, with water temps somewhere around 50. It's really cold. Even with a wet suite.
Old    tuck224            11-19-2004, 11:09 AM Reply   
Slippers are cheaper
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-20-2004, 8:21 AM Reply   
Or just find a smokin cutie to cuddle up with under a blanket! Use an electric blanket for boats. Or better yet, lay that electric blanket down over the floor. But it's still fun to come up with ways to trick out our babies!
Old     (djpurnell)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-23-2004, 5:00 AM Reply   
i had this in my 94 malibu, i made pannels out of gray upvc with neopreene tube running through them, straight from the waterjacket on the inboard, it does keep your feet toasty in the winter, but i would rather have a cutie to cuddle up to!!!!!!