Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 14, 2005

Old     (2step)      Join Date: Oct 2004       10-03-2004, 2:37 AM Reply   
This is not a boat war!!
I am looking at buying a Tige 2002-2005 20v, 22v or SwitchV}}.
The reason for this thread is to get your input on what you looked for when buying your Tige or what you wish you looked for.
Also...
If you have any problems with your Tige, what they were and around how old (hours or age of the boat) the boat was when it happend.

Thanks for the help in advance,
Chris
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-03-2004, 8:08 PM Reply   
Chris, I ended up not buying a Tige when I look, on the only reason that dealer was pretty far from my home and a MC dealer is in my town. But when I looked at Tige's they had any option I could want on a boat and were very competively priced compared to the MC's, Malibu's and CC's I looked at. I thought the quality of materials and fit and finish were top notch with the boat I liked at(22v). I would have no problems buying a tige now other than I would have to throw out all my MC t-shirts and sweatshirts now
Old    davidhoffman            10-03-2004, 10:49 PM Reply   
We went with the 22v. It was going to be our first Inboard and for mostly wakeboarding and also a family boat at the same time. We wanted it to be comfy, have lots of storage, and ofcourse have a nice stock wake. The first thing we noticed on the showroom was how it has a deep freeboard and when your sitting in the seets, your knees aren't crunched up into your chest. The seats and quality was also very nice. Then we took it on the water and the wake was great for most riding levels under advanced. Then we loaded up the tanks and the wake was amazing. Lastly, we knew we'd be having lots of people with us so we wanted lots of storage. Enough for 4 boards (Other 4 on the racks), 2 surfs, 2 skates, 10 Life jackets, all the ropes, bumpers, and docking ropes and the Tige had enough room for all of it in addition to more space. The Taps2 and Convex Hull were also a plus. We liked the idea of how we could shape the wake and the number one thing the dealer said to us was how versatile Tige boats were and he was right.

We test drove other boats and heres what we though about it except for the wake:

Tige 22v: Great space, storage, and our favorite feature is how the seats in the bow have a nice curve through the back and are very comfy.

Nautique 210 Team: Very high quality build, but not as much space or storage as we wanted. Also, we have a tall family and when myself and my dad stood straight up our heads clunked the tower everytime. Even though it can be avoided, there was going to plenty of times we did it. That wasn't important though but overall it just didn't have the space we wanted.

Malibu: Similar to Tige, good storage and space, just didn't like the idea of the Wedge and having to move it up and down all the time and we saw pics of transoms torn off from it.

Supra/Moomba: Good quality and very nice boats except the seats were very low to the ground and ours knees were up in our chest and the storage was nice on that boat.

Mastercraft: Nice boat (We looked at the x-30, because the x-2 was too small) except even the dealer said that If we got the x-30, the hull was soon to change and it wouldn't have great resale value. But the inside was very nice and the storage was pretty good also.

Wake thoughts (Personal preference, not trying to start a war...)

Tige 22v: Rampy and wide, landing on the downside each time was nice. The taps made the steepness change and we liked that.

Nautique 210 Team: Wake was really narrow and soft but so so steep. It gave a good launch but landing in the flats everytime was hard on the knees.

Malibu: Similar to Tige except a little bit more steep and narrow. 2nd favorite.

Supra/Moomba: Mix between most it seemed like, it was steep and hard. It gave a good launch.

Mastercraft: Didn't ride behind it.

Now the dealer was very important to our decision also...

Tige: Pretty bad service but the sales guys always made sure everything got done for us and they went above and beyond to satisfy us. They never talked down on other brands, and even gave the other brands advantages over Tige but always backed it up with a Tige's feature.

Nautique: A+ service, great sales, didn't seem as interested in the customer as we expected. But they were overall a great dealer.

Malibu: Great dealer, great pro-shop, great service. 2nd Favorite.

Supra/Moomba: Service seemed pretty good, not a great understanding of it though. The sales people were nice but didn't seem to go above and beyond for the customer. They did their job and explained the boat and features but didn't seem very interested.

Mastercraft: Down to earth and told everything as it was. Offered us many things. Very nice.

Overall: Wake, Price, Quality, Comfort, Storage, Dealer were all factors and we chose Tige.

Our final idea was:

1. Tige
2. Nautique/Malibu (Tied)
3. MC/Supra (Tied)
4. Moomba

We love our Tige and haven't had any problems. Since it was one of the first 2004 models off the line, ofcourse there were small glitches, but they were all fixed very quickly. We've had it just over a year and are 100% satisfied with it and would recommend it to anyone.

-David
Old     (2step)      Join Date: Oct 2004       10-04-2004, 12:01 AM Reply   
David GREAT discription Thanks that information will definatly be used when purchasing.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-04-2004, 1:33 PM Reply   
Chris,

There are some differences between the 02 and 05 and the 22V and switch V. You must have a price range that you're trying to meet?

I agree with everything that david said. I have enjoyed my 2002 21V (sold it), and love my 2005 24V. I think that Tige is making a great product. I have found the Taps to be invaluable and the hull produces a dynamite wake. The room is extraordinary.

Ditto on what David said about tall people. My 24V tower is over 7 feet above the deck! The seats are nice and comfortable for folks of all sizes.
Old    aircox            10-04-2004, 3:24 PM Reply   
David, pretty impressive for a 14 year old. Thanks for all your info.
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-05-2004, 9:13 AM Reply   
I looked at the 20V, 22V, 22iR, and 24V when I bought. I went with the 22V for the following reasons -

1) the 22iR was a direct drive, and I already had that style of boat. I couldn't see upgrading to the same type of boat. I also like the V Drive seating arraingement best. It seems to be more family friendly

2) The 20V was nice, but a bit cramped compared to the 22 and 24 boats.

3) The 24V was too big to fit into my boat garage. I can't see paying that much for a weekend toy, and letting it get killed in the California sun 360 days a year (the other 5 it might rain!)

4) The 22V fit in the Garage, it had great seating and TONS of storage. The power with the 335hp powerplant was very good even with 8-10 people on board, and the wake is great for all sports. It was the right boat for me.

I suggest you look at all of the boats that appeal to you, and find the boat that is right for you. don't let others influence your decision by saying this boat isn't cool to them, or that boat isn't the most popular. When you drive the boat that is right for you, all others will not matter any longer.
Clean up at the lake
Old     (2step)      Join Date: Oct 2004       10-05-2004, 6:05 PM Reply   
Has anyone had experience with the Switch V, I was offered at a local boat shop $35k for a new loaded 2005 Switch V. How is the wake behind them, do they need ballast?
Chris
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-05-2004, 6:23 PM Reply   
I have a 2002 Tige 20v and the only real complaint I have is the vinyl. Mine is falling apart, just about every cushion is ripping. From what I understand Tige upgraded the vinyl in 2003. Hopefully mine will be replaced under warranty but I won't know until I get it in to the dealer in a couple of weeks.
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-05-2004, 7:53 PM Reply   
I have a 2004 Switch V. The wake is good but you need ballast. We have factory ballast which is okay, but we put a 500lb. sack in the front walkway to make the wake more solid. The wake is also very nice if there are about 7-8 people in the boat with ballast full. We noticed that to be able to move taps up you need more weight in the front of the boat. The distribution of the factory ballast just doesn't put enough weight in the front.

The bad part about the boat is the interior, but we were willing to live with it because our house is right on the lake so we are not in the boat all day.

We have the vortec 335 hp engine which works fine when the boat is loaded down. We got PP installed at the dealer which would be a must IMO.

35K is a good price, we paid more than that in april.

The wakesurfing wake is good also. We can surf no problem with a nice clean wake. Taps is at about 8 with all ballast full and everyone on 1 side of the boat.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Old    tige_joe            10-06-2004, 4:23 PM Reply   
Chris.....It really comes down to your budget. I am currently on my 7th Tige. It's a 2004 21I. My last year's boat (2003 22v) in my opinion is about as good as it gets. Killer wake, great styling, massive amounts of storage, and with the 335hp Marine Power engine, it had plenty power considering the extra lead I normally carried. The new 2005's have a redesigned interior that will solve some of the interior issues some people have complained about. That's the next boat I'll be getting when this season is over. Good luck!
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-06-2004, 4:29 PM Reply   
Joe why did you go from a 22V to the 21i? Also what boat are you buying for 2005? I've heard nothing but good things about the 24V since they've come out, but will probably be looking for a smaller boat next spring. How's the wake on the 22V compare with the 24V? I've heard the tige riders are all behind the 24V but that could be for space reasons as well. I like the look of Tiges and have heard good things about the newer models just looking for a little input.
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-06-2004, 4:29 PM Reply   
sorry if it looks like I hijacked the thread but any info will help Chris out will his normal question too.
Old    tige_joe            10-07-2004, 10:58 PM Reply   
Ryan......I pretty much grew up the slalom/barefooter. It took me quite a bit to make the change to a 21 v-drive in 2000. I drove 3 more V-series after that first one because of my changing needs to more room and performance to wakeboarding in my family. Ultimately.....I always had in the back of my mind to end my Tige "promo" career with a direct-drive. I always preferred the "sports car" feel that a direct-drive gives as opposed to the "big car cadillac" feel. I even pleaded with Tige to build me a custom 21I with a gear reduction tranny. Currently to date, it is the only one of it's kind. I normally carry 600# of lead.....and the gear reduction really gives tremendous amout of pop out of the hole. I think the 21I is a great all-around boat. Of course....like any 44yo guy.....you see the new boats come out with the cool styling and upgrades, and after a few months having a smaller boat.....I really do miss that extra room and storage a v-drive has to offer. As to the differences in 22 to 24V........The 22V fits in my garage, and has every bit the world-class wake as any boat on the market. So....if you're carrying more than 10 people on a consistent basis....I think the 22v is just fine. By the way.....I spent last weekend in a brand new, completely decked out 24v down in Parker, Az.......and that boat rocked! Even one of the Tige reps couldn't get over the size of the wake with only 4 people in the unweighted boat! Hope this helps you out.
Old     (2step)      Join Date: Oct 2004       10-08-2004, 12:44 AM Reply   
Ryan thanks good question, I went and test drove and boarded behind a 2002 20v and the wake was awesome. I was not aware that they did not come with factory ballast and the wake is still decently big. I am in the process of purchasing it or the switch V. They want 39k for the 05 Switch with all options included, and for the 02 20v options included 31k out the door (Good deal? Bad deal?). Saturday is the final showdown between the two boats, I also slalom ski (mainly wakeboarding) and the 20v's wake was not bad at speed. I did ride behind a 24v and it is an outstanding boat but it is just a little out of my budget. My trade in is a 1973 flat bottom Starcraft so any wakeboard boat is going to be a drastic change. Thank you all for your comments please keep them coming they always help. Also the 02 20V has a new interior and they are putting West Coast Graphics on it. Here is a link to the 20 V I am looking at please give me your comments on it (please Don't steal it from me please).
http://www.boattraderonline.com/caddetail.html?/ad-cache/6/6/5/75002265.htm
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-08-2004, 7:08 AM Reply   
Sorry I cant comment on helping your decision because that is ultimately up to you but the 20V is nice(its right by my boat storage), especially if they put West Coast Graphics on it. The all white hull will really make the graphics stand out. If your dealing with the Slalom Shop, Billy and Jeff are top notch guys and will treat you right. If you ever need a third let me know.
Old    blr            10-08-2004, 11:46 AM Reply   
I have had 2 Tiges (so far) and have loved both of them. I have friends that have just about every boat brand of the top 4 and I have to say that I am still glad I went with the Tige. AS it has been pointed out here several times, your dealer will make a big difference, mine has to be the best of all. In the beggining I have to be honest, I went with the Tige mainly because of the dealer. I chose Tige the second time with the dealer near the top of my list but in addition, the 24V was everything I wanted in a boat. From the roominess to storage to the wake, IMO it can;t be beat. My first Tige was the 22IR and if I didn't need the extra room, my second Tige would have been another 22IR. The seating arrangement is the best out there and the wake is awesome if you weight it properly. just my .02
Old     (2step)      Join Date: Oct 2004       10-08-2004, 4:16 PM Reply   
Well I am the proud new owner of a 2002 20V Thank you all for your input on this. I will post a pic when the boat is in my hands.
Again Thanks,
Chris
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-08-2004, 4:25 PM Reply   
congrats!!

Don't forget to post pics!