Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 14, 2005

Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-30-2004, 1:45 PM Reply   
What do you think? I love the gel coat scheme. I think the new tower is sweet. Good Job Centurion on the decal graphics they look alot better. Here is an Avalanche.

Sory for the quality of the pictures got them off the net.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-30-2004, 1:46 PM Reply   
Cyclone
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-30-2004, 2:13 PM Reply   
my question is how to mount tower speakers... Sure some will fit, but i dont think all will...

Overall the boats are nice... i like them, but not to fond about the new tower
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-30-2004, 2:45 PM Reply   
that tower is awful.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-30-2004, 2:52 PM Reply   
I agree about the tower being fubar.
Old    r3612            08-30-2004, 3:13 PM Reply   
Tower is horrible where do the speakers lights and extr racks go.

Holla at the new graphics though...Centurions are moving up

Kris
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-30-2004, 3:16 PM Reply   
I don't know, I like the looks but Im not sure if you will be able to mount goods on it.

Do you have any interior pics?
Old     (whitewookie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-30-2004, 4:38 PM Reply   
I also agree that the tower is pretty lame. Sweet graphics though on that Cyclone. Does anyone know MSRP?
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-30-2004, 5:39 PM Reply   
Watching them in action this weekend at BS I was thinking they performed pretty well. The tower catches my eye in a sort of pleasing way but like has been said, where to you put my speakers?
Looking top down I get to the cool graphic and then OMG, are those carlilse(sp) tires? and then I realize that these boats must have been ordered thru CAl Kustom because they always use that POS VM trailer. Yes I said POS, I've got first hand experience. That's too much boat on that type of frame (open tube) construction! IMO
sorry, touched a nerve...carry on.
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-30-2004, 6:07 PM Reply   
the tower definatly looks cheap but i like the graphics on the cyclone, dont really care for the other one
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-30-2004, 8:33 PM Reply   
The tower is definately going to take some getting used to, but the boat looks good. Im thinking your going to start to see more companys using towers similar to this. I know the 05 MB's have similar towers in the way the extend up as one piece. MB uses skylon and Centurion uses Pro Flight in the past. I wonder if that is a Pro Flight on the 05's.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-31-2004, 10:17 AM Reply   
Yeah the new MB tower is very similar. Pretty sure you can substitute another tower. Not familiar with thise trailers Duane the boats out the North Carolina plant have Boatmate trailers which is what I have and have been pleased with it so far. I would like to see the tower with some racks and speakers I'm sure it will make a difference. I know when Malibu came out with that Illusion tower or whatever it is called I thought thing was horrible looking, but saw one at the boat show last year with some racks, speakers, and bimini and I thought it looked awesome. I'm a little bias towards Centurion just from experience with the company. I think Centurion has really put out some quality products over the past few years and continues innovate ideas. I just think they are headed in the right direction.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-31-2004, 10:18 AM Reply   
I'll try to get some interior pics.
Old    hyp3rl1t3            08-31-2004, 10:47 AM Reply   
That tower is quite fugly. I like the new graphics much better though.
Old     (joeysprague)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-01-2004, 5:20 PM Reply   
seriously though, i know it's been said, but i don't think you could even fit two 6 x 9 speakers on that sucker. even board racks seem like they would be difficult to put up. weird design, considering a lot of wakeboard boat buyers want maximum room for speakers and base a lot of their decisoin to buy on such a crucial part of the boat. in my opinion, Centurion could actually reduce there prospective buying pool of customers with that tower. Decent graphics.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-01-2004, 6:40 PM Reply   
The tower looks f-ing shakey...literaly!
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-02-2004, 5:25 AM Reply   
I spoke with a Centurion rep and you can get the same tower as 04 models. They are trying to offer different options. Would like to see one with speakers and racks though.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-02-2004, 8:11 AM Reply   
I think that tower is actually nice-looking from a sculptural perspective. Sure if you want racks for 8 boards and loads of tower speakers, you'll want to opt for a different tower but not everyone wants to share riding time with 8 people or play their music for the entire lake.

I think it's funny how a bunch of people loved the Boss Billet tower, which really had some hideous proportions, yet people are ripping on this tower which has a somewhat similar overall design but looks much more professionally designed. I guess it's all about timing and context.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-02-2004, 8:19 AM Reply   
The problem with the tower is the lack of curves. It's got a STRAIGHT 45 degree line all the way from the front mounting point, up to the tow point. No matter what you put on there, it's not going to look good!

If that whole leading edge had a gentle curve to it, it would be a nice tower
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-02-2004, 9:02 AM Reply   
I see curves all over that tower...
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-02-2004, 9:16 AM Reply   
Looks like it should be called the UltraFlex tower. Not kidding, I bet that thing is Jello shakey.

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on September 02, 2004)
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-02-2004, 9:30 AM Reply   
Who cares about appearance if it shakes like a 7.4 on the Richter scale. Just doesn't look like there is enough support at all.

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on September 02, 2004)
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-02-2004, 10:59 AM Reply   
I'd bet it's very solid. The top part certainly isn't going to shake laterally with bars welded into the corners like that.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-02-2004, 11:18 AM Reply   
Jeff I don't see where you are coming from and how your getting your info? Looks to me the tower is fatter. Looks solid to me. I absolutely positive Centurion would not use a tower that was not usable.
Old    bigj            09-02-2004, 1:56 PM Reply   
Lance & Salmon, I agree. It does look like it is atleast 2-1/4 tubing which is structurally stiffer than most of the other towers which are 1-7/8. Also it seems to follow the windsheild nice to not obstruct visibility.
Like it or not manufacturers are going to change the loks of the towers from what most are accustomed to.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-02-2004, 4:57 PM Reply   
The distance between the heim joint and the knob/screw looks to be minimal. 2-1/4" tubing or not, that is where you get a lot of fwd/rev movement. The spread at that point should be much further. Couple that with the side tower to boat mounts, and you have the perfect formula for instant Jello. Never said the tower would be unusable, just really shakey.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-02-2004, 8:36 PM Reply   
Lots of speculation. The proof will be in the results. Lance is right you can get either the new tower or the 04 tower. I don't think that NC plant has been shipping the new tower. Those are pictures from the CA plant
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-02-2004, 10:09 PM Reply   
Is the new tower from Proflight Kevin?
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-03-2004, 7:08 PM Reply   
I believe the West coast plant gets proflight towers.

East Coast plant towers are from Xtreme
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-05-2004, 9:52 PM Reply   
That tower looks cheap as doesnt flow with the curves of the boat. Bad idea on centurion's part, they better offer the 2004 towers like you said.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       09-06-2004, 1:56 AM Reply   
I think before Centurion can ever be a major player, they are going to have to standardize the two factories. Different towers on different coasts???
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-06-2004, 5:25 AM Reply   
Your boat tower depends on what factory it comes from? Thats pretty silly
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-06-2004, 8:02 AM Reply   
Why is that?
They will look the same just different manufactures it would be very silly and expensive to ship
all the towers from the west coast manufacturer
all the way to the east coast when you can have them built to your specs much closer.

4th in sales does make you a major player :-)
Like I said they do offer both towers.
Much like Malibu offers more than one tower.

FYI the newer tower is larger diameter 3" or so

(Message edited by krbaugh on September 06, 2004)

(Message edited by krbaugh on September 06, 2004)
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-06-2004, 8:54 AM Reply   
I dont know why anyone would buy that tower. It reminds me of some monkey bars at a playground. I dont like malibu's new illusion tower either. I guess this new school crap isnt my style.
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-06-2004, 9:17 AM Reply   
Kevin - Is the tower the same, just a different manufacturer? If so, my bad. I thought previous posts were saying that the tower itself was different. Its not a big deal who makes the actual tower as long as they are made to the same design and standards
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-06-2004, 9:28 AM Reply   
The designs and standards will be the same
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-06-2004, 9:31 AM Reply   
If that tower is 3" tubing, then the winshield frame is 2"...BS.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-06-2004, 9:38 AM Reply   
I have not seen one and neither have you Jeff.
You are going by assumptions from a picture I am going by what I have been told by Centurion I guess we will see who is full of BS.

I am not sure on the exact diameter just that is larger diameter.....bigger than 2"
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-06-2004, 10:02 AM Reply   
Um, you are the one giving all the details, I am just pointing out that unless the pics are doctored, that tubing is not 3" dia.

Whatever....

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on September 06, 2004)
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-06-2004, 10:22 AM Reply   
Like I said we will see
Old    zackv            09-06-2004, 5:57 PM Reply   
U guys should look at the tige 05 graphics there not on the tige website yet but u can kind of see them at the top of this page www.waterskispecialty.com
Old    walt            09-06-2004, 7:14 PM Reply   
I've never herd anything positive about the Centurion wake...Is the wake better on the new Centurions ?
Old     (suckbuthavefun)      Join Date: May 2003       09-07-2004, 11:17 AM Reply   
I live on a lake that won't allow bigger boats or vdrives. I love the wake on my T5. It is so much better than the X7 with the sack full.
Old    sebastian            09-07-2004, 11:24 AM Reply   
I like my wake a lot but I think my drive shaft is bent and one side is curling over
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-07-2004, 12:27 PM Reply   
I'm pleased with my wake.

Now the tower on that Tige hideous. Almost as bad as the tower on the Tige Switch.
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-07-2004, 4:45 PM Reply   
My wake is good on the 04 Cyclone. I have ridden behind Tige 20v, Malibu LSV, SAN and older Xstar over the last several years. If you are looking for a specific shape wake, then you can be picky. But unless you are a pro-am level rider, you can ride well behind any wakeboard boat out there. You just need to find the right speed, rope length, and ballast combo. My two sons and I each ride on our own combo of those things. My son always thought that he could only ride good behind the SAN or Xstar, but now that he found his combo. I am planning on ordering a set of the new graphics and taking off the "Cyclone". glad I have the 04 Proflight tower.
Old    zackv            09-07-2004, 10:11 PM Reply   
yeah the 05 tige tower is pretty hidius it looks worse when you see it up close its almost as bad as the centurions tower
Old    r3612            09-08-2004, 1:05 PM Reply   
My 04 cyclone's wake is clean and has great shape. I'm kinda partial to an x-2 wake cause that is the other boat I spend my time on and the Cyclones wake with the factory 3 tanks is very very similar it's like a cross between a Nauty and an X-2. It has the same transition as the x-2 just a bit smaller, but has a kick at the top and is very firm like the nauty. The boat is kinda weight sensitive in terms of right and left but that is because it has a very deep v and is on such a short platform. We never have a propblem keeping the wake clean though. this things rides so solid too cuts through the chop like butta. Here's a pic of mine..

Old    r3612            09-08-2004, 1:20 PM Reply   
Here's some wake pics, not the best but just to give you an idea factory ballast (3tanks total 1000lbs) and four people in the boat. 75ft at 23mph.

Old     (healing)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-08-2004, 9:45 PM Reply   
Kris,
First off that wake looks great. However I like the 2nd pic you posted, where can I find a trailer guide post with a don't walk sign on it? That's funny! oh and the name of the street is priceless.
Seriously though, I see in your profile you list a hurricane as your boat. Just wondering if that was your old boat and if so how does the cyclone and hurricane match up in your opinion? Do you notice the smaller interior of the cyclone to make that much of a difference? What about driving and wake comparison between the two? Thanks
Old    r3612            09-09-2004, 12:41 AM Reply   
Ah yes I need to update that been meaning toojust always forget. the picture was taken by a fiend of mine who was driving next to me..not sure if he was aiming for the street signs and things seeing as how he was driving, but it turned out pretty cool. As to the differences...there are a few that stand out. The size difference isn'tr that noticeable to us because we rarely have more than 5 people in the boat at a time.

The hurricane pros
-lot more room inside due to the fact that the big cooler that we put in fits directly behind the driverside seat.
-the bow also has a little more room for people(not as deep as the cyclone though for storage)
-stays on plane in the turns
-great price point
-drives solid as heck
-wake can be very clean even at slow speeds great for beginners and a variety of riders easy to adjust.
-the wake is pretty steep to

Hurricane Cons
-likes extra weight in the front always needed about 300lbs in the nose with the three tanks filled and 2 people and one rider. Justa a hassle with the extra sack.
-Wake maxes out very quickly with weight (what I mean is that this boat hits a limit where it can't take anymore weight cause the wake will not clean up.) Kinda limited on size

Pros Cyclone
-wake is very sweet by far my favorite (take it for what it worth though I like it but not just because it's my boat, but because I'v test drove several models and this felt the best. I'm probably the only one who will ever say this but to me the nauty gets very steep and I don't particularly like that all the way through)

-wake also will take as much weight as you can give it just keeps getting bigger. We had full ballst which is around 100lbs plust 10 people in this thing and it was HUGE and CLEAN had to bump the speed up that that is to be expected with any boat.
-surf wake is HUGE
-factory ballast is all I need whether I have 2 people or 10
-Handles rough water like a dream The hurricane rides great, but this thing is like a butter knife through butter very very very smooth in the chop and d-ups
-drivers seat is more comfortable
-deeper storage under the bow seats

Cyclone cons
-bow is a little cramped width wise but not a problem lenght wise you can still stretch out
-rolls (leans)in the turns a bit more
-boat tends to be a little more weight sensitive than the Hurrican side to side cause of the deep v (never a problem just more noticeable)

This is all my personal opinions after having both. Both boats are very similar to me and the biggest stand out is the wake difference for sure... The wake of the Cyclone cane get as big as you can take and the shape is totally different than the Hurricane. I feel that the hurricane's wake is steeper but also not as big where the Cylone has a longer more mellow transition with and endless range of amplitude. You can just get it to be huge.

My suggestion is that if you are looking for a pure wakeboard boat the Cyclone is it, but if you are looking for a more family oriented tube/ski/wakeboard/hangout on the lake all day cruising boat the Hurrican/lightning would be the better choice. Again just my opinions

Kris

Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       09-09-2004, 1:00 AM Reply   
Kevin, I was also under the impression that they were different designs, my bad. 4th in sales, they took over Tige??

The T5 must have a better wake than the LaPoint, because weighted evenly our wake is no where near as good as an X-7.
Old    walt            09-09-2004, 4:41 AM Reply   
The wake pics above look steep and washed out to Me. Just My two cents though.

(Message edited by walt on September 09, 2004)
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       09-09-2004, 4:53 AM Reply   
huh... i see no wash.. how is that washed out at all.. and th ephoto doesn't show the wakes further back (cropped off) so you can't even comment on that..

the wake is crisp and clean.. maybe not the biggest but looks pretty sweet.
Old    walt            09-09-2004, 4:55 AM Reply   
When there is white water on top and it's curling over IMHO it's washed out.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-09-2004, 5:19 AM Reply   
Washed out.......I dont think so

THe Cyclone is the steepist wake of all the Centurions.

T5 has a much better wakeboard wake than the Eclipse.

They took over Tige long ago.
Old     (ef3529)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-09-2004, 6:55 AM Reply   
If you look at the numbers they are actually 3rd in sales with one line of boat. Skiers Choice is 3rd because they carry two lines. I also know that all 05's on the west are spoken for and all spray dates on the east coast are filled through January. Only a few left in the spring for the show orders. Sounds like a major player to me. But who am I to make that decision.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-09-2004, 8:06 AM Reply   
Nice boat Kris. Nice wake as well.
Old    walt            09-09-2004, 2:40 PM Reply   
We definitely have different opinions on what a clean wake is.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-09-2004, 3:30 PM Reply   
Walt
since you disagree with most
people on this thread about a clean wake
give us a link to a wake that is not "washed out"

Now this is a picture of a washed out wake

Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-09-2004, 3:32 PM Reply   
Kris, I agree with all the pros and cons. We checked out both before purchase and found the same with the wake that you did. The Hurricane is based off of the old Elite V which was a ski hull and the Cyclone has an all new hull for 03 that was designed for boarding not skiing. You will definitely get what you pay for with this boat. Nice features, smooth layout, nice looking and good solid wake. Nice pricetag with money left over to put gas in it and use it a lot. May not have a pro caliber wake, but if that is what you think you need to ride well, you are just kidding yourself. If you can't do all your same tricks behind my boat, all you did was talk yourself into it. Come try it out and see. The challenge is on. I know a few people who have been "Malibu or nothing" people, they are now switching over after a demo. Their new boat of choice, CYCLONE.
Old    walt            09-09-2004, 3:41 PM Reply   
Kevin, Here is a pic of My wake....I'm not saying it's the best or better than any other boat but any wake that is curling over or has white water on top of it is washed out IMHO. And
The pic that You posted is from a friends I/O and was very washed out and gets even worse as the boat turns like in the pic above
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-09-2004, 3:52 PM Reply   
Buddy of mine has a 96 Centurion.It's an Elite BR I think.I prefer mine over his any day.But I'll ride the same behind his boat,with the semi washed out wake.I still have fun behind it.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-09-2004, 4:16 PM Reply   
Walt

It looks like the right side of your wake is very clean, but the left side looks VERY washed out.

Do you have any pictures of both sides in the same picture? Like the above Cyclone pictures.
Old    walt            09-09-2004, 4:50 PM Reply   
Lance, Sorry to Hi jack Your thread !

Kevin Your looking at prop wash Bro....And the side of the wake that is shown in the pic is the bad side. I don't know why but the side that the rider is on is usually totally clean. The pic above the rider was trying to go w2w and cased the wake and crashed so I can tell You the other side looked cleaner than the side that is shown in the pic. If You want to debate this further start a new thread.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-09-2004, 5:07 PM Reply   
Could be that it is prop wash that is why I asked for another picture showing both sides.
If you have such a picture please post it in another thread of course
Old    walt            09-09-2004, 6:13 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/189853.html?1094777914
Old    r3612            09-18-2004, 8:00 PM Reply   
For all who are commenting on the wake of my ride. Its very clean you can't judgew a wake by what it looks like when a rider is mid flight in the air as in my pics. A rider pulls and the wake washes on the sides. I ill try and get some pics but I assure you that mu wake has no wash at all PERIOD. Pictures are deceiving and you can't judge very well on the internet.

I will post some pics with out a rider in flight. I guarantee that everyboat washes when a rider cuts. And as to the comments of yours being clean sure its clean on one side but the other is wash and that is what happens when you cut.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-18-2004, 8:48 PM Reply   
a picture is worth a thousand words

im calling this one.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-18-2004, 8:51 PM Reply   
Just what are you calling??
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-18-2004, 8:57 PM Reply   
read the post above mine. "Pictures are deceiving and you can't judge very well on the internet" thats crap, pure crap!
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-18-2004, 9:07 PM Reply   
I did!
If you don't believe that the only true way to judge a wake is to take a ride behind the boat. Then of course you are free to call it crap or what ever you want.
However there are many things that you can't judge from pictures.

Speed
Path
Wake height
How much pop
Rope lenght
Amount of ballast
number of people
what the wake looked like before the pull
How hard the wake is

But like I say you are entitled to you opinion

(Message edited by krbaugh on September 18, 2004)

(Message edited by krbaugh on September 18, 2004)
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-18-2004, 9:12 PM Reply   
*pulls up chair,gets popcorn,waits for tyraid to end in bloody brawl*

*forgot,it would be a girl slap fight*
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-18-2004, 9:18 PM Reply   
its probably just a bad pic, dropped speed or weight problem, dont mean to rattle your cage. just about any "*wakeboat" produces a decent wake.
*havent ridden in all wakeboats
but a pic doesnt lie esp about wake closing out. it doesnt tell you about the ones you mentioned
Old    walt            09-18-2004, 9:19 PM Reply   
Ding Ding Ding....Round two ?
Old    walt            09-18-2004, 9:22 PM Reply   
882001, We covered this already
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/189853.html?1095121920
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-18-2004, 9:22 PM Reply   
wouldnt this be round 3
Old    walt            09-18-2004, 9:23 PM Reply   
Your right Kevin....My bad
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-18-2004, 9:25 PM Reply   
oh sorry i got in on the tale end of a war. i will step down good luck to all parties involved.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-18-2004, 9:31 PM Reply   
I never saw it as a war just a difference of
opinion. Several people said it was GREAT Walt thought it was washed out. Either way I am sure you guys would enjoy your ride behind a Cyclone.