Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 14, 2005

Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-29-2004, 9:00 PM Reply   
I was out on the river with some friends today and was totally blown away when a red x-2 drove by with nvs's cranked up. I've been reading about these on this board for a while, but I can't beleive how loud these things are. I've never heard anything like it. What are you guys using to drive a set of these. I've got to get a pair now.
P.S. Boss b530's for sale, only used on sundays by a little old lady.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-29-2004, 11:07 PM Reply   
Tom,
That was probably Joe and his Red on Red '04 X2.
Unless he has changed it up since I last spoke with him, he is using an Orion 8004 bridged to 2 channels.
Another popular set up to feed the Entity 1010's has been the PPI PCX4125.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-30-2004, 6:19 AM Reply   
Duane, I guess a jl 300.2 wouldn't be enough to drive the 8's?
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-30-2004, 6:50 AM Reply   
Tom, I first ran a set of 808's with an older MTX 302 that did fairly well but like any speaker, didn't handle the higher volumes nearly as well as a properly fed speaker.
Several 400 x 2 at 4 ohms amps to choose from.
I'm looking into offering amps as well but am testing each one before taking on/suggesting anything.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-30-2004, 6:52 AM Reply   
How long to get a set of 808's? Do I need to run heavier wire through the tower? I think I'm running 18ga right now.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-30-2004, 7:53 AM Reply   
I have a set of 808's now along with a few sets of 1010's. A new batch is due next week.
I recommend 14 ga wire. It's easy to feed if you already have something there. Feel free to contact us thru the website at http://www.NVS1.net
Old    chavezychavez            08-30-2004, 8:19 AM Reply   
Duane, how come you didn't crank up your stuff at Boredstock and drown out their PA system?
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-30-2004, 8:29 AM Reply   
Chavez,
What PA system?
My ears are still ringing.
Why didn't you come by and meet my crew(s)?
What did you think of the event this year? I know alot of people were bashing it last week but I thought it went real well. Could have seen some more riding would be my only complaint.
We had a great time!
Old     (dgarland0)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-30-2004, 8:59 AM Reply   
Tom,

Let me know if you are serious about selling your B530's. Am looking for a pair.

dg
Old     (domin8)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-30-2004, 2:34 PM Reply   
Everyone in our buch had a good time.
I agree with Duane - More riding !
Why did they shut down early on Sat. afternoon ? We were unable to hear the PA ?
Old    chavezychavez            08-30-2004, 3:47 PM Reply   
Duane, I didn't meet your crew because I didn't feel like swimming!

Anyhow, my views of Boredstock are not good - last year was bad enough, but this year was just awful. (at least Sunday was) I was glad I wasn't there to watch riding as I would have been severely disappointed!
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-30-2004, 5:23 PM Reply   
Chavez,
Let's talk about it.
What would you like to see at next years' Boardstock?
sorry for the hi jack.
actually the right thread is in the GD already.
For starters though, I think this locale was way better then the last one.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-30-2004, 6:06 PM Reply   
Locale was much better. I heard your boat turned down low and it sounded like nothing I've heard before.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-31-2004, 8:11 AM Reply   
Hey Tom, that was me and my buddies you saw out there at the rope swing. I had to hurry and keep moving because our friends were following somewhere behind us in an X10, and I wanted to stay in front of them!

I'm glad you liked the way they sound. The interior of the boat has a pretty mild system, four 6.5"s and one 10", so you were pretty much hearing the tower speakers all alone. As for the amp, Duane is correct, it's a Orion 8004 that I purchased from www.cbrstereo.com for $300.

You should hear how loud they get on some of the other songs we listen to!!
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-31-2004, 9:56 AM Reply   
Joe, nice boat man. Like I said I couldn't beleive how loud that was. I can't wait to get those on my boat.
Thanks for the lead on the amp, I'll check it out today.
Did you guys put up that slider by the rope swing?
Old     (nar722)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-31-2004, 10:42 AM Reply   
Hey Joe,
Since those speakers are really loud from far out, does it blast out the people in the boat?
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-31-2004, 11:59 AM Reply   
Thanks Tom. The boat in your profile isn't the one I saw yesterday, is it? Yes we put up that slider back on the 4th of July. The water has washed away the base a bit so it's a little wobbly. The water is down quite a bit too so it's a good size ollie to get up there!

Nick, it can be a little loud in the back seat, but anybody directly under or in front of the speakers doesn't get blasted at all. Tom probably got blown up more standing on the shore than we did in the boat. Tom was still pretty far off to our left when he heard them. If they are pointing directly at you 100-200 feet away, it is LOUD.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-31-2004, 1:29 PM Reply   
Joe, I was out on Chris's (wakejunky/gatorgrip) SAN on sunday, I live in Pollock Pines so I don't get to the river much unless I'm out with someone else.
Chris has posted pic's of his box he just finished on this forum. It also sounds awesome.
BTW, we heard you coming long before we saw you make the turn.
I'm thinking of hooking up with duane this weekend or sometime in the future to take a closer look and hear them in the boat.
My only concern is the SAN tower is not as tall as the MC or other towers out there. I hope the 808's won't hang down to low for the bimini to fit. I've got a bimini from biminis.com.
Anyone have problems with this on a SAN?
Old     (mbrown2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-31-2004, 2:12 PM Reply   
Can't wait, I get to hear mine come Thursday...install will be complete then...I will post pics and let you know how they sound...Duane is awesome to deal with...

I will be pushing them with 4x200 Phoenix Gold Xenon Amp bridged to 400x2 4 ohms...It's gonna be sick..
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-31-2004, 6:03 PM Reply   
What kind of boat Mike? What else you running in your system?
You're going to be stoked man!!!
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-31-2004, 6:21 PM Reply   
Tom,
I only have 2 SANTE installs, both are '04 with the larger radius bend on the FCT. Due to that larger bend radius they had to be lowered 1 1/2 inches in order to have enough width.
Your profile indicates an '03 which would be no problem...unless you have an '04 FCT.
FYI, the bottom of the NVS Entity is 9.5" and 10.5 from the bottom of the top tube for the 808 and 1010 respectively.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       08-31-2004, 6:22 PM Reply   
I second Mike's comments. Duane is great to work with. I am trying to figure out if they will fit my tower. He has been great to send me over diagrams and even called my tower company for me. I just picked up my boat for my Delta trip. So I am going to measure it up tonight. I HOPE THEY WILL FIT!!!
Old     (mbrown2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-31-2004, 7:16 PM Reply   
Tom,
I am putting them on an 04 Malibu WLSV...Titan II tower, 2 Entity 1010's...the rest of the system will be posted within the next couple of days...but it is 2200 watts RMS of PG Xenon amps, MB Quart Premium and Reference Sep/Coax's, JLW6 12" Sub in a slot loaded enclosure....Odyssey Batt's, Stinger 3Farad Cap, Sony HU and Changer, and Duane was able to customize the Titan Clamps to integrate with the Entity's and the tower so I could continue to utilize the Titan Lights on top (plug and play)...it am thining it will do the trick...

(Message edited by mbrown2 on August 31, 2004)

(Message edited by mbrown2 on August 31, 2004)
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-31-2004, 7:47 PM Reply   
Mike, that sound sick! Can't wait to see the pic's.
Where are you located? I'd love to hear your set up when it's finished.
Old     (mbrown2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-31-2004, 7:52 PM Reply   
I am located in Simi Valley, CA, but do most of my boating in Parker AZ where we have a place...that is where the boat stays mainly...if you are ever on Havasu or Parker, would love to get you ride & listen...
Old    tclagggym            09-07-2004, 9:56 PM Reply   
The speakers look great, but I was talking to my SAN Rep and he said to be careful because the weight factor can cause stress cracks where the tower attaches to the hull. Do you think these speakers are to heavy is my concern?
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-08-2004, 12:45 PM Reply   
Tim,
They are a bit heavy at 37 lbs. and not all towers are well suited. I do have some other SANTE installs that have not reported any issues.
You could also talk to Grant as his Enzo and previous set-up is of similar weight with the same tower.
I do have the option of using a Neo magnet version of the 10 inch which would save 1 lb per woofer...if you're interrested. This would put the Entity's in the same neighborhood as the Defcon IV (reportedly 32 lbs)for weight.
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       09-08-2004, 1:15 PM Reply   
Hey Duane,

You should look at the Delta 10's, that is what I bought for my setup as they are the same wieght as the beta 8's. It also saved me about 6? lbs per speaker. I know my tower is HEAVY AS S#*T cause we were at my girls friends house in clearlake and they have a tree that hangs over the entrance to the driveway, had to raise and lower it everytime out, what a pain! It took either my bro, or two chicks to hold it off of the box when moving it in the driveway.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-08-2004, 3:47 PM Reply   
Luke,
Yes the Delta 10's are the ones I reference. They are lighter but not 6 lbs. The actual is less then 2.
Having heavy speakers on the tower certainly isn't for everyone wether it be due to a lesser tower, or the need to put up and down your tower by yourself. The point I would make though is even lighter speakers will present the issue of needing help raising and lowering a tower. This can depend on the type of tower as well.
But hey, Luke, how do they sound?
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       09-08-2004, 6:01 PM Reply   
You know they may be only a little different in wieght, I know I was just amazed when I was opening the boxes. Cause the heavier one was the smaller speaker!! I even showed my friend the speakers and he guessed wrong on which was which.

I think they sound great. If you like hella loud sound at a distance. Just the way things are with a pro audio setup. I added some speakers to the hull of the boat and that seemed to fill out the sound.

I do like the fact that they are so loud, but they do leave something to be desired. You would need like 8 6x9s to produce the volume.

I would go either way if building a new box for the tower. Car or Pro
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-08-2004, 10:53 PM Reply   
Luke,
Yes I would agree that some speaks in the boat are needed to fill in. Attempting to use the Tower for all the sound in the boat has never been an optimal situ.
From the get go I've designed this set up for one purpose, Provide the Rider with concert like inspiration that was otherwise unavailable. To date no one even comes close to the performance level that the NVS Entity's provide...bar none.
Getting this level of performance does come with some constraints...mostly weight. The size has not proven to be much of a concern in that I have designed them such that the speaker is tucked up as high as possible to the top tube.
I learned a long time ago to never say never but simple physics dictate it will be a long time before anyone can produce a higher level of performace on a wakeboard tower.
I would also agree that it would take at least 8 6x9 car audio speakers to achive the same volume as a pair of NVS Entity's, the difference however would be in the ability to project that volume. Again simple physics shows that smaller coned drivers cannot produce the same freq's as efficently as larger ones. If that wasn't true then you would see car audio speakers at concerts and clubs.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-09-2004, 8:36 AM Reply   
Duane ~ I just sent you a PM.
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       09-09-2004, 9:53 AM Reply   
Duane-

I know what you are saying. I have been really impressed with just how loud they will go. I even have my amps turned way down Maybe 1/4 power and they are still deafening if you put your head in front of it.

As far as were the rider is, the sound seems to come together and it sounds very nice. We had cans before and I really like the volume level I can achieve with these drivers.

There is something to be said that when you are riding at the lake and your buddies can hear you at the campsite loud and clear, and it is NOT near the water.

Old    mtmoore            09-09-2004, 12:06 PM Reply   
how do the nvs's compare to the fusion tower speakers?
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-09-2004, 12:51 PM Reply   
There is no comparison.

Pro Audio vs. Car Stereo.

Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-09-2004, 1:45 PM Reply   
I've got to second that. I've heard Joe's set up and it's way louder than any car speaker/can or box I've ever heard. No comparison
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       09-09-2004, 2:37 PM Reply   
I am about 90% sure I can only fit one NVS 10 on my tower, damn it. Anyway does anyone have experience with using just one and how it sounds, and how loud?

Duane says it would still kick b**t. I believe what he is saying. But I was just curious of any other opinions from people that have that set-up on their boat.
Old     (michale)      Join Date: May 2004       09-09-2004, 2:44 PM Reply   
i will let you know monday.my bud is going to put one of my 1010s on his tower this weekend to see how it sounds.he is just not happy with his evids.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       09-09-2004, 2:55 PM Reply   
Wow, yeah I am very interested to hear about the outcome. Thanks!!
Old    chavezychavez            09-09-2004, 4:23 PM Reply   
Jonathan ~ Duane speaks the truth. 1 NVS will kick any other 2 out there.

No contest.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-09-2004, 4:53 PM Reply   
I've removed one of the pods in the past to tighten up the mounts, then forgot to plug it back in before the next trip to the river. We listened to it for about 10 minutes before realizing one of them was unplugged. It's still louder than anything else I've heard, but it doesn't have the same mid-bass volume as a full blown pair.

Old     (michale)      Join Date: May 2004       09-14-2004, 6:20 AM Reply   
We installed 1 NVS 1010 on my friends 2001 on Sunday and it was 4x louder and cleaner than 2 evids!!!!.Same amp.Plus there was a 15 mph cross wind when we went out.Yes 1 NVS 1010 will work great.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-14-2004, 7:06 AM Reply   
i have to hear some of these. have you sold to any one in houston? austin?
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-14-2004, 7:28 AM Reply   
Michale,
Thanks for the feedback and comparison. I suspected that your results would be the reality of it. I have heard the Evids before and although I belive them to be a great value, they just aren't in the same audio relm as the NVS Entity's. I also didn't want to assume that the Evids I heard were powered properly.

882001, send me a pm or email to www.NVS1.net and I can hook you up with one of the several sets now in Texas.
I am working on developing a key dealer in the area but it may be the end of next month before that happens. I am very picky who carries my stuff.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-14-2004, 3:44 PM Reply   
hey duane you need someone to make a showing at waketoberfest on lake austin on 14,15,16 on lake austin. probably sell some sets there. and i will get to hear them{most important}.
Old    stevenf            09-14-2004, 8:50 PM Reply   
i have the 1010's and will be at the waketober fest i have a blue and white xstar/x2 you'll hear me for sure come over and say hi
steven
Old    absolutofft            09-15-2004, 4:57 PM Reply   
Those NVS speakers remind me of my Klipsch RF3 speakers, 1 inch horn tweeter and dual 8 inch woofers on each speaker. I always thought how sweet it would be if I could mirror the clarity and volume on my boat. It sounds like you have done it with NVS speakers. :-)
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-15-2004, 10:11 PM Reply   
Aaron,
I don't know about the comparisson to the RF3's but assuming that's a compliment, thanks.
Your profile pic shows a pylon on your ride so I wanted to make sure that you were aware that we can accomodte pylons as well.
I don't have the picture with me but I did do an install on a friends boat with a pylon using a single Entity 808.
It's mounted sidways so not to take up much room below the bimini right on the back side of the pylon. We also angled the mount about 8 degrees to accommodate for the bow rise. Sounds awesome.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-16-2004, 9:07 AM Reply   
Duane,

What is the width between the clamps on the speakers? If a single set were used, it could be mounted in the center of the tower, but my tower has about an 8-10 inch area where you couldn't mount brackets because of the bars that support the tower rope attachment. The tower is made by Metcraft - sorry I hope that explains it - I don't have any pics handy. If the clamps were far enough apart, it would fit easily.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-16-2004, 11:22 AM Reply   
talltiqeguy,
The standard mounting plate has six different clamp positions for each of the 2 clamps used. Although the std. plate does not accommodate the distance you mention, the plate is intentionally designed to be simple and therefore inexpensive to produce custom sizes.
I'll send you a "Tower Profile Form" that if you fill in should provide enough information to quote the custom plate.
Congrats on the new boat!
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-20-2004, 12:02 PM Reply   
Duane ~ It was nice to meet you on Saturday and that was really cool of you to let Ed test out your speakers. I think that ride made up his mind. I know from the dock it made up mine.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-20-2004, 2:27 PM Reply   
Antbug,
Thanks to you as well for taking out some ride time so he could check it out. It's always a pleasure to be reminded of how many good people are in this sport.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-29-2004, 10:24 AM Reply   
I may be speaking out of turn, but NVS will have their first sale sometime soon. Rumor has it that the 1010's will be discounted.

rider@boarditup.com