Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old     (wakejumper8)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-05-2004, 10:26 AM Reply   
"Another one bites the dust"

Wanted to send all those out there on Don Pedro a heads up. Another friend of mine hit bottom in 49er cove and screwed up their boat this past weekend. This is the 3rd person I know that has damaged their boat in this cove. I am surprised that this happened so early in the year as water levels are pretty high. They were pulling their son and hit an unmarked ledge that was underwater still. They were about 50 feet offshore.

Last summer a buddy of mine was crusing back to the dock and hit bottom. We were on shore and all of a sudden his boat came to a complete stop. My buddy got out of the boat and in utter disbelief found himself standing in about a foot of water. He was about 100 feet offshore. Again, unmarked. We were all just thankful he wasn't pulling anyone. The problem was his boat was stuck! 4 guys tried lifting the back end off and the sundeck broke in half. Then we got all girls (5) to sit on the bow and got 6 guys to pry the boat off the bottom. The boat damage totaled about $5,000. Thank god for insurance.

A neighbor of mine also hit bottom in the same cove last year and bent his prop. Minimal damage, but still it'll ruin your day!
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-05-2004, 10:45 AM Reply   
Laurie, where is that at?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-05-2004, 10:47 AM Reply   
where is 49er cove. I've been going to Pedro my whole life and have seen it in all states of water level, so maybe I just know where the rocks and shallow spots are, but I'd love to have the heads up.
Old     (wakejumper8)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-05-2004, 10:56 AM Reply   
Here's a map of the lake. Its hard to see on this map though becuase its a map of the lake when its completely full. It looks a little differnt now, but you'll get the general idea. Follow the large finger on the left after you come out of Flemming to the back. Hang a right before you get to the no-ski zone/bathroom. There's an island that separates out the 2 larger coves. 49er is off to the right at goes back awhile.

application/octet-stream49er cove
49er cove.xls (67.6 k)
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-05-2004, 11:53 AM Reply   
Ok I know where thats at. Yes there are alot of selves back in that part. There used to be markers back there. Haven't been there in a while though.
Old     (wakejumper8)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-05-2004, 2:31 PM Reply   
Yes, we talked to the Rangers last year after that happened with our friend and they gave us some lame excuse like "everytime we mark it, people steal the buouys". LAME!
Old    wakelvr            05-05-2004, 2:44 PM Reply   
Or run them over!

Sorry Laurie, couldn't resist!
Old     (wakejumper8)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-05-2004, 3:38 PM Reply   
I did set myself up for that one didn't I. But that is an entire different cove... and a whole different story.
Old    norcal_99            05-05-2004, 4:25 PM Reply   
Well, I guess it's safe to say 49er cove at Don Pedro sucks as much as the SF 49ers.

When I go to Pedro, we wakeboard at the ski course or up towards MP.
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-05-2004, 10:50 PM Reply   
twakess- i used to live in the beautiful city known as Delhi, which part do you live in?
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-06-2004, 9:49 AM Reply   
BK, I live in the Harmny Ranch Development off Hintion.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-06-2004, 3:20 PM Reply   
Regarding the marking of shallow spots:

Sorry, but you can't shift the blame for running aground to anyone but yourself.

There are very few natural lakes in California. Even most of the ones that were natural have had a small extension dam built up on the output so that they can store water as a reservoir.

The whole purpose of a reservoir is to store water during the rainy season and let it out during the dry season. By design, the water level changes. Daily. What was navigatable last week may have hazards this week.

When you are on the lake, take a look around and you can see where the high water mark is. Imagin all the different hazards that will form as the water level drops from that highest level to whatever level the lake is at now. Imagin the others that will form when/if the lake falls to its lowest possible level.

It would be really hard to make a marking system that can automatically adjust to the 100 foot plus water level swings that a reservoir can have, and not have the markings themselves become a hazard (nothing like running into a sumberged warning sign!).

Movable markers are generally a total waste of time. First, it is a fairly daunting task to expect a crew to go about the entire lake moving the markers as the water level changes. Second, there is no end to the idiots who decide to tie their housboat to marking and end up dragging it across the lake. A warning marker in the wrong spot can actually be worse than no marking at all.

At least Lake Don Pedro has clear enough water that you have a chance to see a hazard just below the water surface. You have to watch closely, if you see any shift in color avoid that spot until you have checked it out.

Rod
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-06-2004, 4:48 PM Reply   
twakess, thats cool, i used to live in the huntington ranch development, the way small one down the road from kc's pizza, have you lived there long?
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-06-2004, 8:11 PM Reply   
I've ruined a prop there last summer when the water was low. Now I know where 49er's cove is.
We've been camping there for years. Thank God, I only lost one Prop.

Is there a Raiders Cove? I'm sure it's much deeper than the 49er's cove.