Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 14, 2005

Old    bemiken21            12-15-2004, 9:11 PM Reply   
I'm looking to purchase my first boat in June05. I'm looking at the XLV because of the size and price tag. I'm going to use the boat to wakeboard and party. What things should I consider before making this purchase? Any advise is good advise at this point.

Thanks in advance
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-16-2004, 7:12 AM Reply   
Great Boat. Consider making purchase at your local boat show. I dont know when it is in your area but prob in Jan/Feb. Moomba WILL have factory incentives beyond what the dealership can give you. There you can order your boat and get the incentives and have it delivered later.

Also, Im a big believer in ordering exactly what you want in options and not "I'll get that next year." Its more difficult to come up with $1000 for Perfect Pass and make the boat payment instead of just getting it now for a few dollars more. Good Luck

(Message edited by redsupralaunch on December 16, 2004)
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-16-2004, 8:20 AM Reply   
I have a 03' X-Star for sale. If your interested let me know. It would the ultimate 1st boat. Why not? check it out!

http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/marine_classifieds/adv-search.cgi?id=59863-ad

63000 obo
Old    bemiken21            12-16-2004, 3:03 PM Reply   
What sort of discount and incentives can I expect to get at a boat show? I'm in Austin, Tx
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       12-16-2004, 3:07 PM Reply   
extended warranties, free options, like a pick 3 of the 6, sometimes rebates as well. That's what it was last year at the Hosuton Boat show. I used to ride with a moomba/supra salesman all last year, here in houston. (Rinker's Boatworld)
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-16-2004, 3:13 PM Reply   
Stefan,

probably about 3k in options such as racks, Perfect Pass, auto ballast, stereo, tower lights, ect.

The price of the boat isn't usually where they come down.

You should be able get a fully loaded XLV for about 48k.
Old    bemiken21            12-16-2004, 3:21 PM Reply   
Thanks for the feedback guys. I definately need to shop around. I've been told prises so far from 37k-49k.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-16-2004, 3:54 PM Reply   
I love this board. Someone comes in asking questions about a Moomba and you've got others trying to sell him a $60K+ x-star.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-16-2004, 4:16 PM Reply   
Cliff- $48K for a loaded XLV?!?! Man, I have some swamp land down in floida I would love to sell you too! I picked up my XLV last year at the boat show with quite a few up grades even beyond the factory incentives and I didn't even come close to breaking $40K. The price is cheaper on the XLV at the boat show, but Cliff is right when he says that the price is not where they come down usually, last year the price on the XLV was $1k cheaper than the sticker. The only thing I didn't get that I wanted was PP. Love the boat, you won't be disappointed! Great size and tons of storage. You will be in heaven when you're on the water rippin it up partying.
Old     (rickt)      Join Date: May 2002       12-16-2004, 4:49 PM Reply   
Stefan,

The boat show incentives will be announced in about a week. Moomba.com will have them as well as the dealer. I think you will find the shows to normally be the best price/package for the year. Dan Miller, our VP of Sales will be at the Austin show to help South Austin Marine. Give him a shout and have him take you through the XLV. Good Luck

Rick
Old    bemiken21            12-16-2004, 4:56 PM Reply   
Thanks Rick!!

I'll definatley look Dan up while I'm at the boat show. Just in case I like what I see and make a deal what is the longest that a dealer will be willing to wait to close the deal? Example, as I mentioned I'm not willing to close the deal until June (waiting to vest on some stock) but I'd be willing to put some money down to hold the deal. Does this makes sense?
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       12-16-2004, 6:27 PM Reply   
Stefan,

Bad news. Usually they'll only wait until the end of the show -- or, on rare occasions, one or two weeks after the end of the show. Often the factory is wholly or jointly offering the incentives, and factories often include language like "boat must be sold and owner must take delivery by March 1, 2005" in order for the deal to qualify for the factory incentive.

The whole idea is to generate sales and move boats in the winter, when business is slower. From the manufacturer side, they need the dealer to actually move boats from the lot and get them paid off so they can sell the dealer more boats. Eveerybody and their brother is ready to buy boats in June, and there's not such a big need for incentives to move boats.

(NOTES: 1) I do not work for Supra. 2) These are just my experiences.)
Old     (sea_ray_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-16-2004, 7:41 PM Reply   
Go to the dealer and make the offer you want pay. They can always say yes. Negotiate it. Check the resale value of the boat to find out what kind of hit you will take when you drive off their lot. Get finance terms so you get the payments you want. If you are buying it outright or financing, look at last years models to save some big bucks.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-16-2004, 8:57 PM Reply   
Way to go Rick Tinker!!! The CEO of Skiers Choice helping out a potential buyer. That right there tells you how great SC really is! But then I'm biased due to I'm a satisfied and happy customer of SC. I've dealt with Rick in the past about problems and he's here to help just like the rest of the SC team!

Stefan- I can't speak for every dealer or the factory but I've purchased two new Moombas through dealers at the boat show and both times I was able to order the boat with a down payment and pay for the boat when it came in. My boat shows were in January and I took delivery of the first boat in May one year and April on my second boat. But like I said, I can't speak for every dealer and every deal made. SC is a great organization to be apart of!!

(Message edited by Kraig on December 16, 2004)
Old    bemiken21            12-16-2004, 9:06 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone!! I will work with the dealership at the boat shows and see what they will do for me. Hopefully they can work with me.
Old    zboomer            12-17-2004, 5:59 AM Reply   
Stevan, I bought an SSV from S. Austin Marine last year, took delivery around early June, and still got some "boat show specials" on it, even though the boat show was in January.

Can't say if this is normal though.

My experiences so far with SAM and SC have been nothing but good.
Old     (supraboard)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-17-2004, 6:23 AM Reply   
Stefan-
Glad to see you are getting lots of help, I work at SAM and would be more than happy to go over what the specials are for the boat show. The XLV also came out with the Gravity Games graphics this year in case you haven't seen it. Where do you normally ride? See you in January, and the 360 club will be hosting a party Saturday night of the show at Aussie's.

Hunter McDonald
South Austin Marine
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-17-2004, 7:59 AM Reply   
Stefan,
I almost bought a 04 XLV from the boat show last year. I was dazzled by price on the boat. After the boat show, I figured out there is more to a boat than price. Moomba appeals to first time buyers because of their price.

Everyone on this site knows I am not a Moomba fan due to the dealership options I have here (in behavior & deception), but really do look at all the options. The top three (MC, CC and BU) are the top three for reasons....durability and reliability are some. There are advantages and disadvantages to buying new, just like there are for a used boat also. (if you do a search on wakeworld you should find some threads on these)

Customer service is key to whatever boat you get. Hear the good and bad stories about the dealerships where your boat could be serviced at.

Don't get me wrong, Rick went to bat to try and save me as a customer for Skier's Choice, but I decided that I didn't want to have to depend on executives at corporate to provide the excellent customer service that a dealership should provide. I have no idea about the dealership situation in Texas though.

If the Skier's Choice dealership is the best dealership in Austin, do yourself a favor and look at Skier's Choice's superior boat, Supra SSV. My friend got one, I love his. His only regret in buying it...the dealership sucks! hahahaha, I didn't know him when he bought, I might have been able to save him some heart ache and he might actually have been able to use his boat this past summer.
Old    bambamski            12-17-2004, 8:30 AM Reply   
Stefan, have you thought about going smaller? I only ask this because a 23 foot XLV is a very large boat. Not easy to tow around and won't handle all that great. For a first timer why don't you look at something in the 21 foot range?
Old    flienlow            12-17-2004, 1:45 PM Reply   
Stefan-
I think the XLV is a killer boat, but get the 340 horse!!!
Old    bemiken21            12-17-2004, 2:06 PM Reply   
21 foot is always an option i guess. I really have my mind set on a 23 foot right now.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-17-2004, 2:16 PM Reply   
check out the Supra 21V. it's not far off in price.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-17-2004, 5:12 PM Reply   
Kraig,

Not to start a pi**ing match here, but if you got a loaded XLV for under 40k I'd like the name and the number of your dealer. Maybe if it was a tournament boat, or a demo with hours on it prior to your purchase, but this boat loaded for under 40k is next to impossible.

A stripped plane Jane VLX with tax/lic/reg is almost 40k.

Loaded to me =

4 board racks = $700.00

Digital Perfect Pass = $1500.00

Gravity Games Ballast = $1000.00

Heater = $500.00

descent stereo upgrade = $500.00

CD changer = $400.00

tower speakers = $700.00 - $1500.00

light bar = $500.00

bimini = $700.00

shower = $300.00

stainless rub rail = $400.00

pop up cleats = $200.00

fold away tongue trailer = $700.00

towable Rankin boat cover = $900.00

spare tire = $150.00

total options = $9950.00
total boat = $37,850.00

Now these prices aren't exact, but they are very close to retail cost. Give me 3k in accessories, options for the boat show deal, and I'm at approximately $47,800.00. These prices may vary in Floida though.

Just the way I see it.

(Message edited by SEATTLE on December 17, 2004)
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       12-17-2004, 7:29 PM Reply   
Cliff --

It's too bad that this isn't your dealer and that you don't live 20 minutes from the factory.

Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-18-2004, 8:39 PM Reply   
Cliff-
Your prices are way off of mine. And I didn't say it was loaded, I said I got it with quite a few upgrades beyond the factory incentives. Prices may be more down there in Florida. Good luck if you're looking at buying one. You can pick one up, nicely nicely equiped for $40K or so. I noticed you put everything and the kitchen sink in as what you call loaded.
Old     (redhedstepchild)      Join Date: May 2003       12-19-2004, 5:06 PM Reply   
I can certainly vouch for SAM. Hunter was not my salesman, but after meeting him at some 360 events, i'm sure he'll take just as good care of you.

I have an "04 XLV hat the only problem I've had has been the PP. SAM fixed it up and got me in and out quickly as to not miss lake days. Previous to this boat I had a 21ft and HIGHLY recommend the extra room-better to have and not need than spend $50k+ only to need and not have!

The boat has an incredible wake, TONS of storage, reliable, and won't break the bank. Feel free to email me if you have any specific questions that youd rather ask a consumer than the dealer (unbiased)
Old    flienlow            12-20-2004, 7:00 AM Reply   
Shay-
what engine do you have?