Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 14, 2005

Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-22-2004, 11:56 AM Reply   
Hey,
I have a Supra '04 GG boat and was wondering if anyone knew what MB Quart speakers were in the enclosures. I know if you buy the light bar aftermarket there are three speaker options to choose from: MB Quart DKE-116's, the RCE-216's, or the PCD-216's. Please help...

The stereo sounds good, but I'd like to make it louder.

Has anyone with this boat or lightbar done anything to beef it up? and if so what? I have a 10" bazooka tube with a built in amp from an old car i'm considering installing and I noticed the 05' GG boat has 2 amps. Definately want to increase the output of whatever speakers are on my tower. Suggestions please.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-22-2004, 1:11 PM Reply   
I believe the gg set up came with the discus series speakers.
To get more out of that set up have a stereo professional take a look at the way the speakers/amps are wired from the factory. Also, your speakers will only sound as good as the power pushing it.
Skier's Choice really builds great boats, but perhaps they should outsource the wiring of high output systems found on GG boats. Just my .02
Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-22-2004, 6:20 PM Reply   
WHat is the bazzoka tube and where can i see them?
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-23-2004, 10:39 PM Reply   
A Bazooka tube is a bass tube. Kinda like a sub, but some of them have built in amps. Just go to Circuit City.com or any stereo site.
Old     (evil_e)      Join Date: May 2004       11-24-2004, 8:05 AM Reply   
ripr said it best, "speakers will only sound as good as the power pushing it." You can have the best speakers in the world and they're not going to sound like anything special unless you're powering them right. I've got an 04 SSV and I've got 3 amps to power each bank of speakers...a 4 channel powering the 4 onboard speakers, a 4 channel powering the 4 tower speakers, and the JL audio mono powering my W7 sub. The system already pounds, but I plan to add a pair of front/back tower speakers this winter and I'll add another 4 channel to power those.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-24-2004, 8:49 AM Reply   
I understand that, but at the same time would like to know what speakers are on my tower so I know if there is room for upgrade or if it's just the way they're being powered. I know the wiring setup sucks. I already plan on getting a second amp to power the tower speakers, but while I'm doing this I wanna do everything at once. Because if the speakers are the cheap ones, what good is a new amp gonna do me?

I love everything about my boat, but I think this is one thing I think Supra has done a really poor job with. I've even called Supra and the guys there have no clue what speakers are on the tower of their flagship boat. I realize they're a boat company, but even the head unit skips, you think they would put something that has anti-skip protection.

I just have a feeling they put the cheapest speakers available from Mako on the tower, but don't want to admit it. Don't get me wrong, the speakers they put on still sound pretty decent, but there is definately a lot of room for improvement.

I'd just please like to know what MB Quart speakers are on my tower so I can hook up my system?
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-24-2004, 8:55 AM Reply   
why don't you just unscrew one and look at the back of the speaker. All the specs should be on the back or at least the model.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-24-2004, 9:31 AM Reply   
Spotts-Look on the grill of the speaker cans. They should say MB Quart Discus. The set up has the discus series speakers which have a max rating of 120 watts. Mako offers a reference and premium series as well. The reference and premium's are rated at a 130 watts, with the premium having a different tweeter and a seperate adjustable crossover.
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-24-2004, 10:25 AM Reply   
I would go with the Reference as a minimum. I have 4 on my tower (in Rauls cans) and they scream. The dealer may or may not have installed the Discus series, they make more margin with the Discus. Also, I am pretty sure that the Discus grills are smaller than the Reference (and better), at least last years models were.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-25-2004, 12:29 AM Reply   
I unscrewed two cans and tried to pull off the backs, but they won't come out and I don't want to pry it with a screwdriver or anything that will scratch the chrome. The fronts do say discus, but why does wakeside.com sell this same combo with 3 other options, the 3 listed in the first post?
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-25-2004, 11:20 AM Reply   
Are you asking why Wakeside offers three speaker options and Supra didn't?
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-25-2004, 12:35 PM Reply   
Wakeside knew that many people really like the Mako enclosures and combos which include Mako's unique clamps, chrome finish option, and LED cockpit lights but they wanted better components than the standard MB Quart Discus series. As a result of listening to our customers, we approached Mako, Titan, Boss and others and asked them to offer speakers upgrades so that our customers would not need to upgrade later and lose the value of the standard Discus series speakers.

They all agreed, and Wakeside ended up selling more Reference Series and Premium Series than Discus. Amazing that our manufacturers didn't know what our customers actually wanted. We take our new role of communicating our customers desires and requests to our vendors so seriously that we launched Wakeside Design Studios.

We designed the Battle Rack and worked with Titan to build it. We talked Mako into chrome finish options, the 4 Speaker Light Combo, and the various speaker upgrades. This year we worked with Mako to offer the LED cockpit lights as a stand-alone add-on for 2005 season. Wakeside Design Studio's biggest project to date is the new Skylon Deafcon Reference series tower speaker systems which utilize Image Dynamics components and HLCD (horns). We will be announcing this 2005 product line shortly once all of the images are completed.

Keep the ideas flowing to us and we will be a clearing house of innovative ideas that we can help to turn into projects and eventually available products.

Mike
Old     (calabria_man)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-25-2004, 2:00 PM Reply   
Hey wakeside,
why don't you guys carry stuff from lightning accessories? they make some really nice stuff.
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-26-2004, 10:05 AM Reply   
Our primary focus has always been to carry the OEM brands for wakeboard towers and tower accessories. The manufacturers that we represent and offer cover 95% of the OEM products available.

That is not to say that aftermarket brands are not good, we have just decided to focus on the premium OEM brands that have proven themselves with the boat manufacturers over time and support authorized dealership networks. Every once in a while we make an exception like we did with Fusion. Then at surf expo I found out that Fusion now does some OEM manufacturing for Tige.

This year Skylon got Correct Craft for all of their tower speakers.

We have heard that Roswell will be OEM for Skier's Choice (Supra and Moomba) for 2005 season so we will consider their line.

I checked out the Lightning website and didn't see any images of their tower speaker line. I noticed that they are in Rancho Cordova, CA where Boss Accessories is located. Anyone know if they an offshoot of Boss?

Mike
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-26-2004, 10:39 AM Reply   
Thanks wakeside, for the info and keep up the good work. I love to see companies that listen to their customers and get things right.

So now what do I do? Already having the 4 Speaker Light Combo and wanting a higher quality sound with a more kick? And how much better are the premium speakers than the ones I have?

Also, according to MB Quart's website the premium speakers have a seperate tweeter? Is this tweeter installed in the casing also?

Also as a note, suggest to Mako or MB Quart (whoever this would apply to) that they put speaker covers on that don't rust.
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-26-2004, 11:15 AM Reply   
The Premium Series has 1" tweeters while the Discus Series has 1/2" tweeters.

The Reference and the Premium Series that are used on the Mako Combo can have the tweeters mounted in the center so they work fine on the Mako enclosures. Model numbers are RCE-216 and PCE-216.

The quality and power of the amplifier will also make a big difference on the kick. If you are looking for maximum volume at 80 feet back, then you will never be satisfied with Mako. You should then consider the NVS system or wait for Skylon's new Deafcon Reference Series since both of these solutions use HLCD (horns).

I will pass along the rust issues to Mako. That is the first that I heard of that problem.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-26-2004, 11:32 AM Reply   
As I said in another thread, Mako has sold thousands of these types of speakers and have not had any come back with signs of rust.
SpOtts-please email me (or post if you wish) some pictures of the areas that are rusting. I can be reached at neil@mako-ind.com .
Old     (calabria_man)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-28-2004, 3:39 PM Reply   
Lightning Accessories is not an off shoot of Boss. They really make some really nice stuff. In my opinion, they have the nicest speakers and accessories out there. They supply a lot of the boat dealers in the area like the correct craft dealers and also Malibu. They make the speakers for the Illusion X tower that look great. I saw their 05 tower speakers that just came out and they are the most sickest speakers I have seen. Their website is being worked on right now. I called to ask them the same question. They said it will be up in the next couple of weeks.