Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 14, 2005

Old    powerstroke            10-16-2004, 12:58 PM Reply   
need help i have the opportunity to buy the following boats:
1985 mastercraft stars and stripes powerslot for 5k w/ rebuilt motor
or
1983 ski nautique 2001 for 6500 with 685 original hours.
first thing i need help with is does anybody have an 85 mastercraft and do they have wooden stringers? i have not been able to see this boat in person yet or a picture of the motor. i know most of you on here prefer a nautique for wakeboarding but i am more into skiing than boarding any help or input would be greatly appreciated thanks.

(Message edited by powerstroke on October 16, 2004)

(Message edited by powerstroke on October 16, 2004)
Old    powerstroke            10-16-2004, 1:06 PM Reply   
i will put pics of each boat on here tonight or tomorrow.
Old    powerstroke            10-16-2004, 4:39 PM Reply   
here is the 85 mastercraft will add nautique later
image/bmp
a.bmp (121.1 k)
Old    powerstroke            10-16-2004, 4:40 PM Reply   

Old    powerstroke            10-16-2004, 8:24 PM Reply   

83 2001
Old     (fuel)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-16-2004, 8:33 PM Reply   
Ryan, I had a '86 MC ProStar 190 and currently own a '83 SN 2001. IMHO, the SN 2001 is a much better wakeboarding boat and the MC PS 190 is a much better skiboat. If you are more into skiing than the MC is a better boat. Also, the interior of the MC had a better layout than the 1982-1984 SN 2001s.

I believe MC started using fiberglass stringers in 1984, so you are in luck. Nautique didn't come out with fiberglass stringers until ten years later.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-16-2004, 8:34 PM Reply   
Well, I know nothing about skiing but I believe that the prices of the Nautique 2001's are inflated largely because of their wake-producing ability. I'd assume that the boats would be pretty competitive with each other in the area of skiing. If you don't care about wakeboarding, go with the better deal.

I also don't know if the Mastercraft has wooden stringers but, being an '85, I'd say it's a damn good bet.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-16-2004, 8:44 PM Reply   
I own an 82 stars and stripes.

the stars and stripes is one of, if not the finest ski wakes there is.

It is a bit lacking in the wakeboard wake department because you cannot weigh them down very much.

I belive an 85 should have glass stringers. but ou can remove one engine mount bold on each stringer to check for rot, just in case.

all in all, if you are at all interested in wakeboarding, I'd go with the 2001
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-16-2004, 9:38 PM Reply   
I was curious about the stringers so I did a search and found a post on wb.com where a guy said he called the Mastercraft factory and they told him that glass stringers started in '86.
Old    powerstroke            10-17-2004, 10:57 AM Reply   
wow thanks for all the input.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-17-2004, 11:49 AM Reply   
Ryan,

I would go with the Nautique if the stringers are in good shape. Check on www.planetnautique.com there is an article on the site that explains how you check/test for rotten stingers.

That vintage M/C have a very flat hull and low freeboard so weighting will be difficult.
Old    powerstroke            10-17-2004, 1:40 PM Reply   
ok say the stringers are good. i have drove this boat and it runs great is $6500 a fair price? would you pay that much for this boat?
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-17-2004, 2:00 PM Reply   
Its october and in most places, the season is over. Lowball the guy on the nautique at $5500 or so. And it is pink... so you be the judge. I think there is more interior room in the nautique too.
Old    powerstroke            10-17-2004, 2:06 PM Reply   
i agree on the pink. not a big fan of that either but the boat it is clean i will give it that.

(Message edited by powerstroke on October 17, 2004)
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-17-2004, 6:15 PM Reply   
Well, look at my profile, mine is purple. A pink SN2001 is going to be way better than that guy driving his new bayliner anyway. (Sorry I/O guys)
Old    thewiguy            10-18-2004, 3:50 PM Reply   
I used to have an 85 MC and loved it. The layout is a lot better than most from back in the day. If you put a fat seat in the back and a sac in the bow your good to go. I learned all my first inverts behind that boat. The stringers were switched in 86 like salmon said, and yeah the other one is pink and baby blue. The black MC's are hard to find.
Old    powerstroke            10-18-2004, 7:29 PM Reply   
here is a picture of the ski nautique i took is this what i want to check for rot and is that the bolt i want to remove? thanks
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-19-2004, 3:26 PM Reply   
no, not the big bolt on top. that joint is conected to the enginmounts, and the enginmounts should be held on to the strings with 2 large lag bolts one on either side of what you have circled. I dont see them in the picture, they may be underneith the carpet. pull 1, and only 1 from each stringer. you dont want to risk messing up the engine/shaft alignment.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-20-2004, 7:48 AM Reply   
The 2001 will have a much better wake for boarding but the MC will have more interior room and drive slightly better.

I have used both boats for years and personally have a 88 MC190 with a very similar hull to the stars and stripes. With a fat seat in the rear and a sac in the bow the wake is very nice. Add a few people as I normally go out with 6 in the boat and the wake is great. Also the mastercraft has the powerslot gearbox so its much better for holeshot and dragging all that weight.
Old    jjk94            10-22-2004, 10:36 PM Reply   
I have 85 and it has glass stringers
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-23-2004, 11:17 AM Reply   
Jack,

Are you sure? I would think that Mastercraft would know and I don't see any reason for the guy who posted to lie about it.

I don't believe you'd be able to tell if there were wood in the stringers, without removing a lag screw, unless you had some specific knowledge about the outward appearance of the two stringer systems. Both would just look like fiberglass stringers to the casual observer.
Old    powerstroke            10-23-2004, 7:13 PM Reply   
i am not sure as i called this guy about the 85 and he said it has all fiberglass too. maybe some did and some didn't
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-23-2004, 9:45 PM Reply   
I did more research and found a thread where a guy said he took a tour of the Mastercraft factory and they told him the first year for glass stringers was '86.

Then, someone said it was '83.

Then, someone else said it was '84.

Then, someone else said that they bought a boat new in '83, that they still have all the literature, and that they can assure everyone that '83 was the first year of the all glass stringers.

So, it looks like it's probably '83. Apparently, however, the Mastercraft factory tour guides and "phone answerers" were giving out bad information. Crazy.
Old    powerstroke            10-23-2004, 10:06 PM Reply   
well i think i am going to pass on those two boats i think i found one i really likeit's a 1984!!!taking it for a test drive this week!

(Message edited by powerstroke on October 23, 2004)

(Message edited by powerstroke on October 23, 2004)
Old    alanp            10-24-2004, 8:19 PM Reply   
go with the nautique. the 86 isnt gonna give much of a wake.
i pretty sure however it was 86 that they went with fiberglass
good luck