Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 14, 2005

Old    swaco            12-27-2004, 1:30 AM Reply   
I'm about to order my Lightning C4 but just figured out that it's even narrower than the 'old' one (93") and now I'm worried about space and stability in turns.
Wake should be nicer though ...
Should I get an Avalance C4 instead ?

Any comments ? Please help :-)

TIA, Peter
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-27-2004, 6:40 AM Reply   
Stability is not a concern, but space is. Although, I have not seen the new Lightning yet but I think it is similar to the Cyclone layout. If it were me I would get the Avalanche. I have an elite v and love the space in this boat and could not imagine life with less space.

Good Luck and post pics when you get it.
Old    swaco            12-27-2004, 8:45 AM Reply   
@Lance:
Elite V is the Lightning, isn't it ?
According to Centurion, the just made the outside hull more straight up (and a deeper V), inside shall remain the same size as the regular Lightning.

Pro Lightning C4: it's brand new, not from 2002 !
Pro Avalanche C4: space

Difficult it is ... :-)
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-27-2004, 10:15 AM Reply   
Yeah Elite V is same as Lightning prior to 05. My dealer has not got the new Lightning yet. Should be in anyday. I need to see it to really compare. I will be going there next week so I'll check it out. Have you looked at both up close? Both are great riding boats. You can't go wrong with either. My dealer keeps ripping my tail into getting a new Avalanche. I want one so bad, but my Hurricane runs like a top and don't see a reason yet to get rid of her. Do yau have any pics of the boats you are looking at?
Old    swaco            12-27-2004, 10:38 AM Reply   
Nope, Centurion is not really available here in Switzerland, I'm importing one.
Did check out a 04 Lightning while on a FL vacation and liked it. Had no clue about the C4 for '05 and didn't even look at the Avalanche as it was to long for my spot ... got the space problem resolved now but would again need some 'hands on' to compare.
Didn't like the Cyclone that much as the deck looked cheaper than on the Lightning, but may be that's how all newer models are done ?
Any detail pics of Lightning C4's and Avalanche C4's greatly appreciated ...

I'll order this week, as I need to get the boat in by April :-) It's going to be either one.
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-28-2004, 6:11 AM Reply   
Hey Peter, what do you mean "the deck looked cheaper on the Cyclone". What part are you callin the deck? I chose the Cyclone over the Lightning, because the wake is much better. The lightning is only 4 or 5" wider that the Cyclone but the Cyclone has a much better wake. The width isn't much of a difference. search the archives for some good info about the cyclone. If you are really worried about a wider boat, the go with the Avalanche, but you will get a very solid stable ride from the Cyclone.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-29-2004, 8:10 PM Reply   
I know this is confusing so I hope this helps.

The Cyclone Length: 20' 8". Beam: 91" Draft: 29"

The Lightning C4 is a stretched Cyclone with the same interior layout same hull. Length: 21’ Beam: 91" Draft: 29"

The Lightning Length:21' 6" Beam: 96" Draft: 27"

So the question why did they name it a Lightning??
Your guess is as good as mine.

Old    oshensurfer            12-30-2004, 2:32 PM Reply   
So the question why did they name it a Lightning??
Your guess is as good as mine.

Probably wanted a name farther away from Hurricane because they introduced the cyclone right about the same time they changed the name. 2002 intro'd the cyclone. Name changed 2003 if I recall correctly. Who knows.

(Message edited by oshensurfer on December 30, 2004)
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-30-2004, 2:37 PM Reply   
Lightning and Hurricane are the same boat
they had to change that because another boat company owned the name.

Cyclone was a new boat the same year they cahnged the hurricane to the lightning.......my head is spinning