Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (wakedude83)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-08-2007, 8:44 AM Reply   
I am currently using a JL 500/1 amplifier with 2 Polk Momo 12" subwoofers. I am really into loud bass and I am sick of blowing Polk subs. So now, I am looking in to a pair of JL 12W6v2s. My thinking is that they will be slightly underpowered even after turning up the gain on my 500/1, but they will still be louder and will not blow. Any thoughts?
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-08-2007, 8:46 AM Reply   
just get a single JL 12W6 and power it right.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-08-2007, 8:47 AM Reply   
i've noticed that a single well powered sub sounds a lot better than 2 that aren't being pushed. Much better SQ at different frequencies from a single sub. Never heard polk subs, but i think you're on the right track.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-08-2007, 8:48 AM Reply   
I woudlnt' think that JL amp has enough power to blow those subs....the 500/1 isn't that "big" of a sub amp. What are your crossover settings to the sub? what type of box do you have them in? how big is it? Where are the subs located ( I ask b/c you won't be able to hear distortion if they are unbder seomthign or covered up.
Old     (wakedude83)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-08-2007, 9:04 AM Reply   
One box is located under the dash (facing the starbord hull) and the other is in the passenger seat. The current boxes are sized exactly to specs for the Polk subwoofers. I do not feel that one subwoofer powered fully would disperse bass evenly throughout the boat, because I went through that when I had a smaller amp and smaller subwoofers - however I am open to any arguments against that theory. Thanks for the advice and keep it coming!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-08-2007, 9:15 AM Reply   
Nick....you will not hear distortion when yoru sub is facing that way. Your proabbly trying to push that amp as hard as it cna adn the amp is starting to clip, causing spikes and ultimately blowign your sub. I ran 2 jl 500/1's in my old boat...and honestly for their cost, I wasn't overly impressed. A comparable 500 watt amp (d class) amp can be had for much less. I can argue either way for the regulated power supply the JL amp has. I'm with you go with two subs if you haev the $$ and the room. I put a diamond audio d6 sub in a down fire box that takes up almsot no space (a little under a cubic foot) that sounds pretty good. but if it were me and from the way I read it you need a bigger amp.....you want it louder and boomier...500 watts isn't going to cut it in a boat IMO.
Old     (wakedude83)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-08-2007, 9:19 AM Reply   
Well I would love a 1000/1 or similar amplifier but the cost is outrageous for something that could potentially be stolen out of my boat (I would also have to buy an alarm system at that point). But, if I did have a 1000/1, maybe I'd be at the same point I am now, except I'd blowing 12W6s! I just want to make sure I can't blow my subs I suppose. But Adam, you are right on the money, I didn't hear the distortion. I was also trying to get more sound out of them than they were capable of producing.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-08-2007, 9:23 AM Reply   
I had a 500/1 on a 10w6...at times I could smell the glue on the speaker buring/melting. I have this amp on my subs now...massive audio 1500.1. It's only been in their two weeks, but I'm very impressed with it so far...even running at 1ohm. And I paid $275 for it.
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-08-2007, 10:39 AM Reply   
2 12w6v2's would be properly driven with a 1000/1, but you can definitely still run the 500/1 if you want. I ran 2 10w6v2's with a 500/1 and it sounded fantastic...but yes, you will probably want more sound out of them than you'll get with the 500/1, causing you to crank the gain, causing the amp to clip, causing the subs to blow. If you're going to drop the dough for the w6's, go ahead and give them sufficient power, even if it's not JL power. Gain does NOT equal loudness, that should be set before speakers are even hooked up and never touched again. Here's a quick tutorial on how to properly use your gain settings:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=143
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-08-2007, 11:26 AM Reply   
I love my JL stuff, but I don't think the 500/1 would give you want with 2 12W6's. I'm running 2 10w6V2's with a 1000/1 and I think thats just about perfect. If I had to do it over I think I'd buy 2 more 10's instead of my 13W7 which I suspect is underpowered. I digress, 1 12W6 IMHO would be your best bet.