Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-23-2008, 6:08 PM Reply   
Just a FYI to think about during the off season. I just recently (this weekend) swithed from points ignition to eltronic ignition and WOW what a freakin difference. I did not use Pertronix or any other condenser/conversion they sell on the web. I swithced to a Ford Duraspark 2 set up which consisted of Distributor, ignition module, and a TFI coil. Basically fords version of HEI. I know peeps are gonna say "You cant run car parts on a boat its a safty hazard" Well if you no what the difference is between a auto dizzy and a marine dizzy its a matter of venting. That can be overcome quite simply.

Anyways get down to Orielly auto parts and pick up a dizzy for a 85 ford bronco 351w get a ignition module and a coil. The correct module is a 2 plug(2 separate pig tales) box with a blue plastic stress thing NOT THE YELLOW one, 1 plug has 4 prongs with a orange, purple, green and black wires. The other plug is a 2 prong red, and the other wire is white. The coil is a square one not the canister type its also male like GM HEI. You also have to get the cap, rotor and adapter for the dizzy. If by chance the dizzy you get has 3 wires that consist of red/black- purple/black- and black you wire them as follows

purple/black to purple on module
red/black to orange on module
black to black on module

The conections on your current coil are the same as the new coil just add the green wire from the module to the negative side of your coil,(tach signal) last you will want to hook up that white wire to the I post on the starter solinoid its a timing retard for starting (better for the starter).

The reason why I personaly did this upgrade was ease of parts replacement if a failure should happen, its pretty modurn tech also. I will provide pics if you guys are interested in doing it also.
Total cast was in the ball park of 150.00 bones.
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-23-2008, 6:10 PM Reply   
Also you do have to pull the old dizzy out! If you need help with that I can walk you thru finding Top dead center on the #1 cylinder timing is 10 degrees BTDC once you get everything back together.